• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

54 votes for, 35 against is 89 total.  11 abstained or just didn't show up that day.  How do you win any vote of 100 with 35 votes?  It is time for the filibuster to go.

‘Shame on the Republican Party’: Senate GOP blocks Jan. 6 commission in victory for Trump (msn.com)

39 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

54 votes for, 35 against is 89 total.  11 abstained or just didn't show up that day.  How do you win any vote of 100 with 35 votes?  It is time for the filibuster to go.

‘Shame on the Republican Party’: Senate GOP blocks Jan. 6 commission in victory for Trump (msn.com)

'Pretty damn scary': Failure of Jan. 6 commission exposes Senate wounds (msn.com)

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Ron,

MSNBC anchor, Lawrence O'Donnell said that the Senate is the only place in the world that the score can be 59 to 1 and the team that has 59 loses.

Steve Thomas

Not again: Maricopa County, Ariz. could be heading toward a second election audit

by Meaghan Ellis, AlterNet May 29, 2021

https://www.rawstory.com/arizona-audit-2653144547/

“According to Arizona Central, the audit could be conducted for a second time. On Friday, May 28, the Republican-led Arizona state Senate came close to signing off on a second deal to conduct another recount. For the second audit, digitized images of ballots would be used as opposed to paper ballots.

Although the Florida-based firm Cyber Ninjas conducted the first audit, this time the county plans to employ the non-profit organization, Citizens Oversight. However, the organization is relatively similar to Cyber Ninjas as it also has no known experience in ballot auditing prior to getting involved in former President Donald Trump's post-election legal battle.”

“During an interview with the publication, Ray Lutz, the group's founder, spoke out with details about the impending second audit as he shared details about his auditing technology, "AuditEngine."

"I think it is certainly a big test for me because I have put a lot of work on it for the last year and a half or so," Lutz said. "We have enhanced it to the point now where I believe we can do a lot to provide information about how well (this election) went."

However, he did later admit that "sometimes we see mistakes that are made, on our side."

"This is a new system that is valuable for the public to have and we can use for examining these elections and finding out what happened," Lutz said. He told the paper he would accept outside donations — but not from political organizations or "crazies."

Oh, well that's good to know.

Steve Thomas

If the Dems can’t tackle the filibuster and get rid of it then nothing good will come out of Congress. Fancy rhetoric is all they’ll have left. Gridlock will prevail. Maybe that’s actually the hidden consensus. Why won’t they get rid of the filibuster? It’s not even a real thing. Are there a few Demos that don’t want to because they are for ‘bipartisanship’? That’s a joke. Are there some who worry what might happen in the future if Repubs are in the majority? Well, a do nothing Congress is the best way to lose the majority. It’s all a bit hopeless don’t you think? 

A Presidential Committee, A House Select Committee.  Haven't I heard that somewhere before?  Olbermann makes valid points, a legit objective special prosecutor and a bipartisan commission including objective republicans might work.  Though the filibuster should go right now imho.

Calls Mount for Biden to Form Presidential 1/6 Commission After GOP's 'Cowardly Filibuster' (msn.com)

On 4/18/2021 at 8:40 PM, W. Niederhut said:

So, Jeff, are you saying that the U.S. government had already officially accused Konstantin Kilimnik of "providing Russian Intelligence Services with sensitive information on polling and campaign strategy" in 2016, which Kilimnik had obtained from Trump campaign officials? *

I must have missed that news item. 

Nice of you to now acknowledge that there is nothing new here-- quite a switch from your previous position.

The last time that you and I discussed this subject, I opined that the Trump campaign had, apparently, "colluded" with the Russian government through Manafort's contacts with Kilimnik.  If I recall correctly, you said at the time that Kilimnik was not really working for the GRU (a fact which was only formally acknowledged by the U.S. government in the long-delayed U.S. Senate Intel report last year.)

As for your claim that Manafort's work for Yanukovych was not "pro Russian," I'm shaking my head.  🤥

*   https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy0126 

TREASURY TARGETS KNOWN RUSSIAN AGENT KONSTANTIN KILIMNIK

Konstantin Kilimnik (Kilimnik) is a Russian and Ukrainian political consultant and known Russian Intelligence Services agent implementing influence operations on their behalf. During the 2016 U.S. presidential election campaign, Kilimnik provided the Russian Intelligence Services with sensitive information on polling and campaign strategy. Additionally, Kilimnik sought to promote the narrative that Ukraine, not Russia, had interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. 

Aaron Mate provides a more objective POV which supports my position. It was Mueller deputy Weissman who deliberately seeded the "polling data" conspiracy in January 2019. It was obvious at the time this was a ploy to encourage unsupported speculation.

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2021/05/19/accused_russiagate_spy_kilimnik_speaks_-_and_evidence_backs_his_no_collusion_account_777328.html

4 minutes ago, Jeff Carter said:

Aaron Mate provides a more objective POV which supports my position. It was Mueller deputy Weissman who deliberately seeded the "polling data" conspiracy in January 2019. It was obvious at the time this was a ploy to encourage unsupported speculation.

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2021/05/19/accused_russiagate_spy_kilimnik_speaks_-_and_evidence_backs_his_no_collusion_account_777328.html

Jeff,

Any thoughts about the big Manafort/Kilimnik news story of the past week in the mainstream U.S. media?

"The proverbial smoking gun": Maddow explains what newly unredacted Manafort files reveal | Salon.com

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Any thoughts about the big Manafort/Kilimnik news story of the past week in the mainstream U.S. media?

"The proverbial smoking gun": Maddow explains what newly unredacted Manafort files reveal | Salon.com

There is no "smoking gun" and there never was.

From Mate's piece:

Kilimnik's account is corroborated by Gates, the ex-Manafort associate and Trump campaign official whose testimony was used by the Mueller team – deceptively, he says – to suggest a connection between the polling data and possible Trump-Russia collusion. The Special Counsel's office "relied heavily on Mr. Gates for evidence" about the polling data, the New York Times noted in February 2019.

According to Gates, that reliance entailed significant creative license by Mueller's prosecutors, particularly Weissmann. Gates says he told the Special Counsel's Office that the polling data was not sensitive information, but rather publicly available figures taken from media outlets.

"I explained to them, over the course of many interviews, what the polling data was about, and why it was being shared," Gates told RCI. "All that was exchanged was old, topline data from public polls and from some internal polls, but all dated, nothing in real time. So for example, Trump 48, Clinton 46. It was not massive binders full of demographics or deep research. No documents were ever shared or disclosed. And this is part of what Mueller left out of the report. They cherry-picked and built a narrative that really was not true, because they had pre-determined the conclusion."

4 hours ago, Jeff Carter said:

There is no "smoking gun" and there never was.

From Mate's piece:

Kilimnik's account is corroborated by Gates, the ex-Manafort associate and Trump campaign official whose testimony was used by the Mueller team – deceptively, he says – to suggest a connection between the polling data and possible Trump-Russia collusion. The Special Counsel's office "relied heavily on Mr. Gates for evidence" about the polling data, the New York Times noted in February 2019.

According to Gates, that reliance entailed significant creative license by Mueller's prosecutors, particularly Weissmann. Gates says he told the Special Counsel's Office that the polling data was not sensitive information, but rather publicly available figures taken from media outlets.

"I explained to them, over the course of many interviews, what the polling data was about, and why it was being shared," Gates told RCI. "All that was exchanged was old, topline data from public polls and from some internal polls, but all dated, nothing in real time. So for example, Trump 48, Clinton 46. It was not massive binders full of demographics or deep research. No documents were ever shared or disclosed. And this is part of what Mueller left out of the report. They cherry-picked and built a narrative that really was not true, because they had pre-determined the conclusion."

Jeff,

Any thoughts about why Paul Manafort continued to lie about his 2016 contacts with Kilimnik, even after agreeing to cooperate with Mueller's investigation?

Nothing to see there?

I think it is time for someone in our judicial system to have the courage to charge sedition or treason for actions such as this (link below).  This former US general has lost his way into Trumpism and QANON.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiEp8WU8fLwAhVBQ80KHVDLBn0QxfQBMAB6BAgCEAk&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marketwatch.com%2Fstory%2Fex-trump-adviser-michael-flynn-says-myanmar-like-coup-should-happen-in-u-s-11622426143&usg=AOvVaw1Nlf88zQAy8S50GHbyA7AP