The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

WN, what is the mental health term or terms to describe someone who constantly creates a false reality mental image of themselves, especially one of highly exaggerated grandiosity and importance?

I believe you're referring to megalomania.

Related (fitting?):

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

3 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

WN, what is the mental health term or terms to describe someone who constantly creates a false reality mental image of themselves, especially one of highly exaggerated grandiosity and importance?

Joe,

In a nutshell, we're talking about a severe Axis II Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

The classical theory of narcissism, as described by the Viennese psychoanalyst Heinz Kohut, is that early in life the narcissist defends against feelings of inner worthlessness by developing an imaginary, "grandiose self."  They, then, tend to project both experiences of the self-- wonderful and worthless-- on to the rest of the world, perceiving others as either idealized, wonderful "winners," or worthless, abject "losers."

Of course, in reality, we all have good and bad traits.   So, among other problems, NPD is a cognitive-perceptual disorder.

Trump is really a textbook case of an extreme narcissistic personality-- a man who even idealizes his own excrement to the extent that he craps in a golden toilet! 

He idealizes wealth-- even proclaiming in 2017 that he "only wanted rich people in (his) Cabinet."

Conversely, he imagines that those who are poor, working class, or have dark skin, etc., are worthless "losers," from "sh*thole" countries and neighborhoods.

And Trump also has features of sociopathy-- i.e. Anti-social Personality Disorder-- which can co-occur with narcissistic personality disorders.

Sociopaths are characterized by a lack of empathy, "conscience," and guilt about harming others (including animals.)  Beginning early in life, they develop a sense that they can only get their needs met by manipulating others-- rather than by trusting others to respond to their needs in a nurturing, compassionate manner.  And they typically have no identification with a moral, compassionate parental figure-- either because the parents are absent, or sociopathic themselves.  (Oddly, there also seems to be a genetic determinant of ASP in some adoption studies.)

One of Trump's biographers has mentioned that Donald has always gotten a kick out of scamming people, and getting away with scams.

IMO, he also has a sadistic streak-- seeming to enjoy harming people.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Your psychological dissection of Donald J. Trump is the best and most concise I have read anywhere. I now understand this monster better. It will be interesting to see what his niece writes about him in her forthcoming book. I heard on the radio this morning that Donald is claiming she is violating a nondisclosure agreement. Can it be that he has foisted NDAs even on his family members? That is a new one for the books and may give others who have NPD the idea to do the same. 

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Joe,

In a nutshell, we're talking about a severe Axis II Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

The classical theory of narcissism, as described by the Viennese psychoanalyst Heinz Kohut, is that early in life the narcissist defends against feelings of inner worthlessness by developing an imaginary, "grandiose self."  They, then, tend to project both experiences of the self-- wonderful and worthless-- on to the rest of the world, perceiving others as either idealized, wonderful "winners," or worthless, abject "losers."

Of course, in reality, we all have good and bad traits.   So, among other problems, NPD is a cognitive-perceptual disorder.

Trump is really a textbook case of an extreme narcissistic personality-- a man who even idealizes his own excrement to the extent that he craps in a golden toilet! 

He idealizes wealth-- even proclaiming in 2017 that he "only wanted rich people in (his) Cabinet."

Conversely, he imagines that those who are poor, working class, or have dark skin, etc., are worthless "losers," from "sh*thole" countries and neighborhoods.

And Trump also has features of sociopathy-- i.e. Anti-social Personality Disorder-- which can co-occur with narcissistic personality disorders.

Sociopaths are characterized by a lack of empathy, "conscience," and guilt about harming others (including animals.)  Beginning early in life, they develop a sense that they can only get their needs met by manipulating others-- rather than by trusting others to respond to their needs in a nurturing, compassionate manner.  And they typically have no identification with a moral, compassionate parental figure-- either because the parents are absent, or sociopathic themselves.  (Oddly, there also seems to be a genetic determinant of ASP in some adoption studies.)

One of Trump's biographers has mentioned that Donald has always gotten a kick out of scamming people, and getting away with scams.

IMO, he also has a sadistic streak-- seeming to enjoy harming people.

If anyone here viewed the recently televised Netflix documentary "Bully. Coward. Victim." "The Story Of Roy Cohn." they would have seen how Donald Trump became acquainted, interacted with and was influenced by Cohn himself.

Trump is so much like the Joe McCarthy and Mob lawyer Cohn we see in the documentary.

Cohn is shown to be an almost unbelievable piece of ruthless deviancy work.

The man was described as the essence of evil by many who knew him and were interviewed for the documentary.

My guess is Trump did and still does think highly of Roy Cohn.

His kind of role model.

roy-cohn-and-donald-trump-at-the-opening-of-trump-tower-1983-.jpg

Humanizing Roy Cohn in new HBO doc

ANDREW O'HEHIR

Edited by Joe Bauer

2 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Everyone in WhiteLawndia is certainly getting a look at what happens when Big Blue City mayors are allowed to run things, aren’t ?

Hahaha! Trust me Robert people in Seattle aren't weeping about how nice it would be to be in New Jersey.

"Oh if it twernt for those blue bellies, we'd liken ourselves to the Jerseyites!"

NOT ONE PERSON HAS EVER SAID, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME! Hahaha!

Now turn off Fox,Breitbart, alt conspiracy etc and look at something real.

Wheeler: Who is the genius at the DNC who thought it would be a good idea to let a bunch of miscreants topple over a bunch of statues and set fires to dumpsters and cars?

The DNC??? Yes just the mention of the DNC sets Wheeler into a frenzy where he brags about all his classy neighbors who have recently been stockpiling arsenals, and dreams of the day of reckoning when his neighborhood blows up like Fallujah! 

Yes the totalitarian DNC that has total control over every democrat?  Di Eugenio has also pulled that narrative so much here, he's had his minions here just trembling in fear at the mention of the DNC!

Wheeler: Wasn’t Trump supposed to have sent a bunch of Federal Troops into Seattle by now? What about Atlanta? NYC?

Yeah, maybe he thought about how well that worked in his polling when he pulled that same stunt going to St. John's Episcopal church!

Everyone in WhiteLawndia is certainly getting a look at what happens when Big Blue City mayors are allowed to run things, aren’t they?

WhiteLawndia? Isn't that an expression for a New Jersey front yard that's merely an extension of the sidewalk to the front door?

Is that why the locals call it "the Garden State?"

jajaja

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

10 hours ago, Bob Ness said:

Hahaha! Trust me Robert people in Seattle aren't weeping about how nice it would be to be in New Jersey.

"Oh if it twernt for those blue bellies, we'd liken ourselves to the Jerseyites!"

NOT ONE PERSON HAS EVER SAID, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME! Hahaha!

Now turn off Fox,Breitbart, alt conspiracy etc and look at something real.

New Jersey is worst patriotic state in America, study finds.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/06/22/new-jersey-ranked-worst-patriotic-state-in-america-study-finds/

28 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

but did you see the final 4? 47. Texas 48. California 49. New York .50.New Jersey. That's some heavy hitter company with high world recognition! I'm not sure why Pennsylvania and Delaware were worth mentioning in the clip.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

1 hour ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Worth reading:

Jeffrey Epstein: Man in the Middle

https://gregolear.substack.com/p/jeffrey-epstein-man-in-the-middle

Thanks Doug. Nice, revealing summary. Too bad that the country and the media have no time or inclination to follow this and dig down. If I was still doing trading cards this would be my choice of subject.

31 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Thanks Doug. Nice, revealing summary. Too bad that the country and the media have no time or inclination to follow this and dig down. If I was still doing trading cards this would be my choice of subject.

It is good. If you have Netflix Paul, you should watch it.

Eric Weinstein in this interview talks about when he met Epstein and opines that Epstein is a "construct". Good, not too long.

6 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

"Can I see the video of the 4th of July fireworks you took on your iphone last year?"

No display last year. Fire hazard. They were called off. Sorry. Seattle had them I guess.

I always kind of liked Hoquiam but have never spent time there. Restrictions on timber harvesting really hit them hard. Travel through going to the coast. Cool little junk shops and whatnot. Backside route to the Olympics.

The issues Seattle has are directly related to its success. Same-same Portland and San Fransisco. If you drive through Seattle there are at least hundreds if not thousands of new buildings and it will get worse now that the viaduct has been demolished. The homeless issue is a real problem but isn't caused so much by political issues as  skyrocketing real estate prices (which is why people are leaving - selling out their lifetime investments for many times their original cost). It's very easy to double your money in RE in Seattle in a few years. Vacation rentals have eliminated any rental market there was left. I ran into this in NY and DC also in my travels but it's much worse on the West Coast.

Today the only difference in Capitol Hill is that the streets are blocked off with barricades instead of metro buses and cyclists hahaha. It's a very small part of the city though. Has always been a bit of a freak show going back to the gold rush and skid row - which is where the term came from I guess.

In short: Same as it ever was.

2 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

So, if patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels, the Garden State ain't it.

But, frankly, I'm surprised to see Texas ranked way down at #47.

Texas has always seemed like a very conservative, pro-military place in my experiences there.  They even have highways named for Dubya Bush and the American Sniper.

Wheeler:    "Can I see the video of the 4th of July fireworks you took on your iphone last year?"

Like that's some American rite of passage naturally understood to be done every year? Since we're discussing patriotism.To each his own, but July 4th is my least favorite holiday. So many people out, doing inane things. Not my cup of tea, but if they're fun, they're fun! I use to like to look at fireworks. But after seeing 30  of them. It's not such a thrill. Maybe it's because I'm from California. I don't mean to sound like a snotty artist. But is capturing it on an I phone, really something worth saving for all posterity? 

William I do understand that Texas being the "Lone Star State" and being rather prosperous doesn't feel particularly cozy to the Federal government. So the patriotism is channeled a little more to being a "Texan".

Wheeler: Everyone in WhiteLawndia is certainly getting a look at what happens when Big Blue City mayors are allowed to run things, aren’t they?

Sounds like some Wheeler Fox Kool Aid :  I'm not sure if this was Bob's central point. But there's a lot of misinformation spread by Fox News emphasizing the homeless problem and people defecating in the streets because the "blue city mayors let it happen."

Let's examine this further, the Blue States are the economic engines of the U.S.! (the only exception is Texas, and that's changing) and pitch in more than their share to cover the unwanted pregnancies, oxycodone and  meth problems of the Red states. For example California 2019 is the 5th biggest economy in the world surpassing the U.K., without even having an empire!

The Blue States problems come from being a world class destination. People come in and drive up the prices making it hard for the resident people, and the state taxes keep going up, making it harder to survive and some fall through the cracks, or other homeless people migrate there because of the weather. In California and New York's  case,  Trump made them  unable to write off the high cost of their state taxes on their federal taxes. This is probably has sort of a Robin Hood effect, and is a giveaway to Trump's red State constituency, and maybe that  isn't such a bad thing. But it's the easiest thing in the world for Fox News to continually make fun of the big blue states problems, but it has an element of biting the hand that's feeding them. Everyone in the Red states wants states like California to New York to eat it, but they have no idea that it could actually effect them, as it effects the country on the whole, if that were to happen.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway