The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Doug. Even though I’m happy, I see future roadblocks to anything infrastructure related, since this is already huge spending. 

9 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Thanks Doug. Even though I’m happy, I see future roadblocks to anything infrastructure related, since this is already huge spending. 

I know I'm a dreamer.  They will double down on it now.  But I dream that this will give impetus to infrastructure.  Both parties know we need it.  Heck, the chump ran with hollow promises about it in 2016.  But partisan change in the future seems to be a pipe dream.

13 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

I know I'm a dreamer.  They will double down on it now.  But I dream that this will give impetus to infrastructure.  Both parties know we need it.  Heck, the chump ran with hollow promises about it in 2016.  But partisan change in the future seems to be a pipe dream.

Ron - I know people Need help now and they should get it. But if we don’t pass major infrastructure legislation it will be a hollow victory. My mom would have called this ‘Penny wise and pound foolish’, coming as she did from antiestablishment Irish stock. The bigger problem is the long term displacement of millions of workers no longer needed in this new high tech Industrial Age. 

Last fall, there was a lot of this logic going on that "my enemies enemy has got to be my friend".  And when the balance of elites starting  abandoning  Trump, there seemed to be this silly thinking that somehow I  should then embrace Trump. I see that as so  personality driven and vacuous of any real ideology, comprehension or sense of functionality. This is another such case in point.
Lindsey Graham on Ted Cruz.

“If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you,”

I appreciate the sentiment. Though I don't believe it. As I've seen through experience Graham actually won't convict any Republican. So that could never cut it for  embracing Lindsey Graham for me.
 But then, do we take from that, if public approval of Congress is at an all time low, and Congress hates Ted Cruz. I should like Ted Cruz? I think not.

Check out this story from Al Franken about Ted Cruz that actually happened. This is really funny!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
Last fall, there was a lot of this logic going on that "my enemies enemy has got to be my friend".  And when the balance of elites starting  abandoning  Trump, there seemed to be this silly thinking that somehow I  should then embrace Trump. I see that as so  personality driven and vacuous of any real ideology, comprehension or sense of functionality. This is another such case in point.
Lindsey Graham on Ted Cruz.

“If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you,”

I appreciate the sentiment. Though I don't believe it. As I've seen through experience Graham actually won't convict any Republican. So that could never cut it for  embracing Lindsey Graham for me.
 But then, do we take from that, if public approval of Congress is at an all time low, and Congress hates Ted Cruz. I should like Ted Cruz?

Check out this story from Al Franken about Ted Cruz that actually happened. This is really funny!

OMG!!!!  HA HA HA HA HA !!!!

Funniest thing I have heard since ... I don't even know.

Franken should have fought to keep his Senate seat.

I know I'm not the only Education Forum member who is skeptical about the sudden surge in Katyusha rocket attacks on American bases in Iraq by alleged "Iranian militias" since Biden's inauguration.  Cui bono?  Certainly not Iran.

How the media exploits liberals' empathy to sell them war

Under Obama, Trump and now Biden, mainstream media has tugged at progressive heartstrings to justify endless war

Humanitarian imperialism: How the media exploits liberals' empathy to sell them war | Salon.com

10 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I know I'm not the only Education Forum member who is skeptical about the sudden surge in Katyusha rocket attacks on American bases in Iraq by alleged "Iranian militias" since Biden's inauguration.  Cui bono?  Certainly not Iran.

How the media exploits liberals' empathy to sell them war

Under Obama, Trump and now Biden, mainstream media has tugged at progressive heartstrings to justify endless war

Humanitarian imperialism: How the media exploits liberals' empathy to sell them war | Salon.com

Great article! W. Some good 21st century historic lessons. And a warning to not be tolerant of Biden should he try to advance this further. Wow! Neera Tanden, super hawk, no wonder the only problem the Republicans had with her appointment was caddy "Republican tweets".

But as the article said: A 2018 survey found the public still infected, with over two-thirds in support of limiting military action overseas, including 78% of Democratic voters.

And with registered Democrats outnumbering registered Republicans by 25%, (31-25) You can conclude that probably a little over half the Republicans don't see limiting military action oversees.So it's the Democratic base that has to prevail to nip a potential  expanded conflict in the bud. Provided there isn't a major  upset in the equation. Since Biden is not a peace candidate, My guess is that the general trend is to continue what started with Obama, and continued with Trump. And that is,  when determined as needed, progressively more drone strikes at specific targets, to minimize loss  of American life which Americans are becoming increasingly intolerant.

They went into the press coverage of 2017 Trump authorized airstrikes in Syria:

The article did quote "A FAIR study (4/11/17) found that 39 of the top 100 U.S. newspapers by circulation published editorials praising the Trump decision, with only one (Houston Chronicle, 4/7/17) offering limited pushback on technical grounds."

39 out of 100 is 39 too many but some of those newspapers have to be pro Trump already anyway.

But I was sort of confused at the attempt at a strong ending. Using a Brian Williams quote about the 2017 Trump authorized airstrikes in Syria:

Brian Williams: I am tempted to quote the great Leonard Cohen: "I am guided by the beauty of our weapons." And they are beautiful pictures of fearsome armaments.

My first thought was that Brian Williams wasn't such a cultural bumpkin, that he has to be aware that a figure like Leonard Cohen wouldn't be one to write a line that would extol the glories of war, and it does seem unlikely that Williams would praise Trump for any such action.

Among FAIR's  assessment of only one press critique of Trump's action. They didn't mention this WAPO editorial below  "Democracy dies in darkness", using Williams misplaced comments..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/04/07/dear-brian-williams-leave-the-rhapsodies-to-cohen/

But as to Williams quote: I think it was more his sort  clumsiness out of wanting to wax poetic.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Does this even require a comment? The propaganda has never been this bad. And yes Doug, co2 is already becoming the next excuse for why we must obey the "experts" suggestions for not living a normal life. Its best we not think about it as the NY Times and others do that for us.

image.thumb.jpeg.5970cdadde5a8a2e14aede7e65005b05.jpeg

GOPers are ignoring Trump's demand they stop using his name to make money: report

by Tom Boggioni March 08, 2021

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-gop-2650970889/

“The three official fundraising arms of the Republican Party are reportedly ignoring a threat from former President Donald Trump to stop using his name and likeness in fundraising appeals as they build up a war chest for the 2022 midterm election.

On Saturday, attorneys for Trump delivered a cease and desist letter to the Republican National Committee, the National Republican Congressional Committee, and the National Republican Senatorial Committee instructing them to drop Trump from their appeals.

On Monday, Politico Playbook updated their report, saying Trump's threat appears to have been ignored and Trump is still prominently featured.

"They don't seem to be taking the warnings seriously," Playbook reports. "The NRSC advertised a T-shirt for 'Trump Supporters ONLY!' with his face and the words 'Miss Me yet?' on Facebook. The landing page for the donation was still active as of Sunday night. As Alex Isenstadt noted, the RNC doesn't seem to be backing off, either. Trump was referenced in fundraising emails Saturday and Sunday even though the letter was delivered to the committee lawyers Friday."”

What’s he going to do, sue them? That would be funny.

Steve Thomas

At least someone is asking the right questions, although Biden is obviously more concerned with gene therapy and protecting Monsanto. The "going direct" part of this was approved in 2019 at G-7. It would have been a tough sell on the public if we had another "too big to fail" moment. This requires something big to create trillions to give to your friends while congress haggles over scraps for people they stripped incomes from.

image.thumb.jpeg.30456c2c9ff94fcb470ec5c2c495ed6e.jpeg