The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

ha, I can assure you that no Dem is a fan of Liz Cheney's political stances. Not even remotely. As Bill Maher put it, "Her dad is Darth Vader."

But supporting our Constitution and democracy isn't a political stance, it's an American stance, and that is why we're glad she supports the Select Committee formed by the House.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

On 11/18/2021 at 7:51 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Speaking of Trump/GOP kindergartners, has anyone else noticed the disturbing resemblance between Donald Trump and the protagonist, Oskar Matzerath, in Volker Schlondorff's 1979 film, The Tin Drum, based on Gunter Grass's novel, Die Blechtrommel?

Die Blechtrommel.jpg

Can't make this stuff up, folks...  😧

Donald Trump Jr. Endorses Sending AR-15 To Kyle Rittenhouse

Donald Trump's son urged people to support gun lobbying group Gun Owners of America's "award" for the teenager.

November 20, 2021

5 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Yeah. A defense attorney friend of mine had this to say, which I agree with:

“This case was about one defendant in one set of facts. It is not about anything else, and should not be painted as such. A serious jury deliberated, reached a verdict and delivered it. It should be respected and not made a stalking horse for the brazen claims of either side.”

2 hours ago, Bob Ness said:

Yeah. A defense attorney friend of mine had this to say, which I agree with:

“This case was about one defendant in one set of facts. It is not about anything else, and should not be painted as such. A serious jury deliberated, reached a verdict and delivered it. It should be respected and not made a stalking horse for the brazen claims of either side.”

Would anybody have been shot if this impressionable child had not been there with his gun, and his fantasies of protecting and serving crossing into vigilantism? 

The crowd saw what he did, and reacted appropriately in attempting to disarm and arrest him.  Too bad they got shot for it. 

The case was about one defendant in three shooting incidents.  Each count should have been considered separately.

Time for charges against his mother, perhaps in her home in Antioch, Illinois.

This "one set of facts" occurred in a city inflamed by a police officer grabbing Jacob Blake by his shirt with one hand and firing seven handgun rounds into his back with the other.  No criminal or civil charges were permitted there.  Police in Kenosha later saw Rittenhouse and failed to disarm or arrest him.

Edited by David Andrews

5 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Would anybody have been shot if this impressionable child had not been there with his gun, and his fantasies of protecting and serving crossing into vigilantism? 

The crowd saw what he did, and reacted appropriately in attempting to disarm and arrest him.  Too bad they got shot for it. 

The case was about one defendant in three shooting incidents.  Each count should have been considered separately.

This "one set of facts" occurred in a city inflamed by a police officer grabbing Jacob Blake by his shirt with one hand and firing seven handgun rounds into his back with the other.  No criminal or civil charges were permitted there.  Police in Kenosha later saw Rittenhouse and failed to disarm or arrest him.

"his lawyers successfully argued that he acted in self defense . . . he feared for his life."  He put himself in such a position, illegally by crossing a state line with a weapon he was too young to own.  Dismissed.  Where were his parents in all this?  Are they ok with his actions?  He gets off Scott Free for killing two people, maiming another.  He becomes a hero of the right, encouraging other young ones to act similarly.  The former prez and the nra want to give him a new gun?  Jesus.  Like JFK said 57 years ago, we're in nut country now".

Edited by Ron Bulman

Trump Fundraises Off the Rittenhouse Verdict: ‘Trial Was Nothing More Than a WITCH HUNT… Please Contribute Any Amount IMMEDIATELY’

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/trump-is-fundraising-on-the-rittenhouse-verdict/

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

" Like JFK said 57 years ago, we're in nut country now".

It's nut country all right. Everywhere. All living in a misguided fantasy world led by their fearless/ savior leader Donald Trump!

Like this kid. He wanted to be a vigilante hero in some far away town? Why? He obviously read some news and thought these dangerous left wing liberals should be confronted?

Did he think of Trump as his hero?

Said he paid his friend to illegally get him this gun because the gun looked "cool."

"Cool?"

This kid was raised playing violent shoot em up video games according to a few sources.  This must have been a exciting real life shoot em up game to him.

Then illegally underage and illegally owning this gun he crosses state lines with it, fully loads it and thrusts himself into a tense and angry politically motivated protest crowd brandishing this very threatening and powerful rifle.

And when someone lunges at him probably worked up more by seeing this deadly rifle he blows his guts out and kills another and wounds another.

He then walks? 

That's as outrageous as LBJ getting Doug Kinser shooting and killing Mac Wallace off Scott free after a Texas jury found him "guilty of first degree murder!"

Edited by Joe Bauer

10 hours ago, David Andrews said:

This is irrelevant. That's the point. It has no bearing on the trial whether you or I believe it or not.

11 hours ago, David Andrews said:

The jury determined after carefully examining the evidence the crowd didn't act appropriately. You're assuming they did but how is KR going to know they are trying to disarm him? Perhaps they were going to kill him?

This case was about one defendant in three shooting incidents.  Each count should have been considered separately.

They were to the best of my knowledge. They could have considered lesser charges also.

I'm sorry but all of this has nothing to do with anything regarding his trial and is EXACTLY WHY juries in other cases have wrongly convicted innocent people. I hope you are never in a trial where a jury is asked to factor "inflamed citizenry" into their decisions.

Don't like the guy, his motivations or actions but I'm confident the jury seriously weighed the evidence presented. The clown show prosecution didn't help either but it was probably going to be a tough road to hoe anyway. The fact is the laws as written are the real problem in this instance.

A powerful, rapid fire "killing machine" gun in the hands of an emotionally stunted, hero wanna-be adolescent raised on violent video games and who knowingly illegally acquired and carried this loaded weapon across state lines and thrust himself into the super heightened politically charged crowd of liberals close enough to the protesters to enrage them even more at the sight of him brandishing his deadly, scary and threatening looking AR 15 in their faces?

The boy isn't mentally retarded.

He knew the laws! He purposely violated them.

Of course there will be civil suits by the families of the "victims." Sorry judge, the killed and wounded WERE victims.

Any awarded civil judgments against this violent shoot-em up video raised little fascist will be paid by the Trump following. No worries there either.

What is truly and seriously disturbing to me and of course millions of other Americans ( especially us liberals ) is the dangerous message this acquittal sends to us and all of America imo.

If you thrust yourself right wing antagonistically into high emotion feeling liberal minded and legal protests with a brandished gun in your hand and get close enough to the crowd and incite them further just by your brandishing a gun and a physical confrontation ensues, you can shoot to kill, do so, and get away "scot-free" with it!

The Trump "encouraged confrontation" message mentality era is with us in an unprecedented nationwide way, I'm sorry to say.

What was it Trump once shouted to his worked up rally crowd when he saw a protester in the speaking hall?

Get that guy, beat the crap out of him. I'll pay your legal bills?

Or something very close to that?

We all know where this violence encouraging messaging is born from. Donald Trump!

Edited by Joe Bauer

6 hours ago, Bob Ness said:

This is irrelevant. That's the point. It has no bearing on the trial whether you or I believe it or not.

The jury determined after carefully examining the evidence the crowd didn't act appropriately. You're assuming they did but how is KR going to know they are trying to disarm him? Perhaps they were going to kill him?

They were to the best of my knowledge. They could have considered lesser charges also.

I'm sorry but all of this has nothing to do with anything regarding his trial and is EXACTLY WHY juries in other cases have wrongly convicted innocent people. I hope you are never in a trial where a jury is asked to factor "inflamed citizenry" into their decisions.

Don't like the guy, his motivations or actions but I'm confident the jury seriously weighed the evidence presented. The clown show prosecution didn't help either but it was probably going to be a tough road to hoe anyway. The fact is the laws as written are the real problem in this instance.

Well, Bob, in the face of that reasoned argument, I defend your right, or anyone else's, to go out and shoot three people under the same, singular set of facts - one off-camera, and two on.  How does that make you feel?

Edited by David Andrews

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

Well, Bob, in the face of that reasoned argument, I defend your right, or anyone else's, to go out and shoot three people under the same, singular set of facts - one off-camera, and two on.  How does that make you feel?

This is the core ethical issue relating to the Rittenhouse murders, isn't it?

The focus on the legal technicalities in the Rittenhouse trial deflects from the fact that it is simply morally wrong for citizen vigilantes to go to protest rallies and murder citizens with guns.

The same moral logic applies to people who drive their cars and trucks into crowds of Black Lives Matter protesters.

This kind of vehicular homicide is now legal in some red states, but who among us really believes that it is morally right?

48 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

This is the core ethical issue relating to the Rittenhouse murders, isn't it?

The focus on the legal technicalities in the Rittenhouse trial deflects from the fact that it is simply morally wrong for citizen vigilantes to go to protest rallies and murder citizens with guns.

The same moral logic applies to people who drive their cars and trucks into crowds of Black Lives Matter protesters.

This kind of vehicular homicide is now legal in some red states, but who among us really believes that it is morally right?

Oh, come now, William.  I have conceded my error, and fully give my assent to the Rittenhouse verdict.  I further wish to thank young Master Rittenhouse for his selfless actions in keeping our property insurance rates down.

6 hours ago, David Andrews said:

My point is David that the jury didn't make a finding like that. They're not reading papers or watching TV to determine the facts of the case. Neither you or I have been presented with the evidence and considered it in detail to the extent the jury has. In my experience they usually get it right and in this case it appears the jury seriously considered the circumstances.