Jump to content
The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
Ben, I like that appeal to W. as far as Liz Cheney exhibiting "earnestness and fairness" at the hearings! As if she has "super woman" powers and going to run the table. If you've seen any of these hearings, they're all permitted about 5 minutes. It's mostly just a show trial. She'll be intense in her questioning and make the nightly news, but she'll be pursuing questions any of us would have. In the end, whether she was there or not, I'm not sure it matters much.
 

As for the hearings, I have no idea effective they'll be, but I have my doubts. In the last impeachment trial they didn't call a key witness John Bolton, it seems because they didn't want to play spoiler for his upcoming book.. They're certainly talking tough like giving subpoenas to the Trump family, Kevin Mc Carthy, Jim Jordan,and also getting extensive phone records from Boebert, Greene, Gaetz, Gohmert and Biggs, Gosar and Mo Brooks who I'm particularly curious about.. I'd expect at least that, otherwise it's a  joke. But of course, they'll either fight it, or they can just take he witness stand  and lie about their communications anyway.

But even if they couldn't prove there was extensive planning, if the President was revealed to be dragging in his response to stop an insurrection he started, to most Americans that is a big deal. I know you're worried about the national security state, as we all are,  but I have no idea what an individual, including a President, could possibly do to   upset you Ben.
 
In The America I grew up in, if you were a crook, you better be good at it, or you lose! But there was at least a quest for excellence.Now a President can foment an uprising to nullify a legitimate election and we forgive him because he's so inept at it.
heh heh
Re congress: It's like a third of the country's in a grade school that's been taken over by a bully, and even the janitors are fleeing.  Then we should send a message out to the Republican  Trumpies, that we don't care how absurd you are, BS walks straight into a jail, but I don't think the hearings are designed to do that.
 

Kirk-

I regarded Brett Kavanaugh as a hack GOP-minion lawyer, and worse, someone who helped squelch JFK records. 

The Donks turned the confirmation hearings into a laughable spectacle about whether at a high-school beer party  Kavanaugh might have groped Ms Ford, thus ruining her whole life, and leaving her sniveling and crying on the testimony stand 35 years later. 

Rank theater, and my apologies to thespians. 

Now the Donks have teamed up with Liz Cheney to bring you hearings on Jan. 6. 

You expect what? 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Aaron Rupar

@atrupar

Trump, on Newsmax, claims the recall election in California is "probably rigged" (as if Democrats can't win elections there fair and square)

 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1435433534282469378

 

See, I told ya.

Steve Thomas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another Failed Presidency at Hand

Sept. 7, 2021
 
 
 

merlin_191158389_2a65bfed-4e32-4965-a539

 

Credit...Kenny Holston for The New York Times

Opinion Columnist

 

This Sept. 11, a diminished president will preside over a diminished nation.

We are a country that could not keep a demagogue from the White House; could not stop an insurrectionist mob from storming the Capitol; could not win (or at least avoid losing) a war against a morally and technologically retrograde enemy; cannot conquer a disease for which there are safe and effective vaccines; and cannot bring itself to trust the government, the news media, the scientific establishment, the police or any other institution meant to operate for the common good.

A civilization “is born stoic and dies epicurean,” wrote historian Will Durant about the Babylonians. Our civilization was born optimistic and enlightened, at least by the standards of the day. Now it feels as if it’s fading into paranoid senility.

Joe Biden was supposed to be the man of the hour: a calming presence exuding decency, moderation and trust. As a candidate, he sold himself as a transitional president, a fatherly figure in the mold of George H.W. Bush who would restore dignity and prudence to the Oval Office after the mendacity and chaos that came before. It’s why I voted for him, as did so many others who once tipped red.

Instead, Biden has become the emblem of the hour: headstrong but shaky, ambitious but inept. He seems to be the last person in America to realize that, whatever the theoretical merits of the decision to withdraw our remaining troops from Afghanistan, the military and intelligence assumptions on which it was built were deeply flawed, the manner in which it was executed was a national humiliation and a moral betrayal, and the timing was catastrophic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Aaron Rupar

@atrupar

Trump, on Newsmax, claims the recall election in California is "probably rigged" (as if Democrats can't win elections there fair and square)

 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1435433534282469378

 

See, I told ya.

Steve Thomas

Tomi Lahren slammed after claiming only ‘voter fraud’ will save Gavin Newsom from recall

By Roxanne Cooper September 08, 2021

https://www.rawstory.com/tom-lahren-newsom/

 

The drumbeat has started. If the Republicans have their way, there won't be any more elections.

 

Steve Thomas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Another Failed Presidency at Hand

Sept. 7, 2021
 
 
 

merlin_191158389_2a65bfed-4e32-4965-a539

 

Credit...Kenny Holston for The New York Times

Opinion Columnist

 

This Sept. 11, a diminished president will preside over a diminished nation.

We are a country that could not keep a demagogue from the White House; could not stop an insurrectionist mob from storming the Capitol; could not win (or at least avoid losing) a war against a morally and technologically retrograde enemy; cannot conquer a disease for which there are safe and effective vaccines; and cannot bring itself to trust the government, the news media, the scientific establishment, the police or any other institution meant to operate for the common good.

A civilization “is born stoic and dies epicurean,” wrote historian Will Durant about the Babylonians. Our civilization was born optimistic and enlightened, at least by the standards of the day. Now it feels as if it’s fading into paranoid senility.

Joe Biden was supposed to be the man of the hour: a calming presence exuding decency, moderation and trust. As a candidate, he sold himself as a transitional president, a fatherly figure in the mold of George H.W. Bush who would restore dignity and prudence to the Oval Office after the mendacity and chaos that came before. It’s why I voted for him, as did so many others who once tipped red.

Instead, Biden has become the emblem of the hour: headstrong but shaky, ambitious but inept. He seems to be the last person in America to realize that, whatever the theoretical merits of the decision to withdraw our remaining troops from Afghanistan, the military and intelligence assumptions on which it was built were deeply flawed, the manner in which it was executed was a national humiliation and a moral betrayal, and the timing was catastrophic.

Doug,

Bret Stephens has always been a shameless NYT spokesman for the Neocons who got us into Afghanistan and Iraq, so it's not surprising that he is now jumping on the Republican's blame-Biden-for-Afghanistan propaganda bandwagon.

But where was Bret Stephens when Trump and Pompeo surrendered to the Taliban last year, and even invited them to Camp David on 9/11-- while excluding the Afghan government from the negotiations?  What kind of message did Trump and Pompeo send to the Afghan Army?

Where was Bret Stephens when Trump reduced U.S. forces in Afghanistan to 2,500 in January-- even as Afghan Army troops were actively surrendering to the Taliban throughout the country?  (And recall that Trump and Chris Miller refused to share Pentagon intel with Biden's transition team in December and January.)

Where was Stephens when Trump bragged in June of this year that the Biden administration "couldn't stop" Trump's "withdrawal process" from Afghanistan?

After 20 years and $2 trillion wasted U.S. taxpayer dollars, Neocon propagandists like Bret Stephens and Rupert Murdoch are suddenly interested in Afghanistan, in a game of Pin the Blame on the Donkey.

Let's not forget that they were major cheerleaders for our misguided invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq.

 

Edited by W. Niederhut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Let's not forget that they were major cheerleaders for our misguided invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq.

 

Speaking of major cheerleaders - let's not forget "Afghanistan Day" when Ronnie feted his "freedom fighters" in the WhiteHouse.  Any of these guys look familiar?

1600px-Reagan_sitting_with_people_from_t

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Doug,

Bret Stephens has always been a shameless NYT spokesman for the Neocons who got us into Afghanistan and Iraq, so it's not surprising that he is now jumping on the Republican's blame-Biden-for-Afghanistan propaganda bandwagon.

But where was Bret Stephens when Trump and Pompeo surrendered to the Taliban last year, and even invited them to Camp David on 9/11-- while excluding the Afghan government from the negotiations?  What kind of message did Trump and Pompeo send to the Afghan Army?

Where was Bret Stephens when Trump reduced U.S. forces in Afghanistan to 2,500 in January-- even as Afghan Army troops were actively surrendering to the Taliban throughout the country?  (And recall that Trump and Chris Miller refused to share Pentagon intel with Biden's transition team in December and January.)

Where was Stephens when Trump bragged in June of this year that the Biden administration "couldn't stop" Trump's "withdrawal process" from Afghanistan?

After 20 years and $2 trillion wasted U.S. taxpayer dollars, Neocon propagandists like Bret Stephens and Rupert Murdoch are suddenly interested in Afghanistan, in a game of Pin the Blame on the Donkey.

Let's not forget that they were major cheerleaders for our misguided invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq.

 

Right on W.! Bret Stephens has always been a silver spoon neocon!

But Doug's other link was about as bad. Of course who would be more scornful of us than the Brits. Doug's link is from this old Brit, cold warrior fossil, Andrew Bolt and his "Bolt report"..

"Yes very telling indeed!!!" .It's American "wokeness" that now translates as to the U.S. having "no backbone", and is now "completely untrustworthy to it's  allies".

" It's not just a political decline , it's a cultural decline".  "A delicious irony!"

It's like the last days of "the fall of the Roman empire". And are now "vulnerable to Russia, China and Iran!" "Catastrophic for the U.S.and Biden must own it!"

Yes, very delicious indeed! Bolt hits upon this story that American left zillions in  armaments and bundles of money to the Taliban, then shows a news clip of a room where there's all sort of confiscated arms, and there are big grey bricks of cash in rows that look to be at least 10's of millions of dollars that allegedly the Americans just forgot and left!!. The only thing is,  I'm pretty sure I remember that film clip as being from around 2006 in Afghanistan during the Bush administration, Subsequent guests made reference to the U.S. leaving arms but didn't mention the bundles of cash because I'm pretty sure their film is 15 years old!

 

Doug, I'm not sure you should be watching so much satellite TV.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overnight report from The Hill:

The days-long war of words over charter flights stuck in Mazar-i-Sharif continued Wednesday as Secretary of State Antony Blinken called on the Taliban to allow the flights to leave.

Speaking at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, Blinken said other countries and the United Nations were working on resuming commercial flights to the Afghan capital of Kabul. 

But in the meantime, Blinken said the Taliban can "demonstrate its willingness to respect freedom of movement …  by allowing the departure of charter flights with properly documented passengers.”

Earlier: Over the weekend, Rep. Michael McCaul (Texas), the top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, leveled the charge in a Fox News interview that the Taliban were essentially holding Americans and Afghans hostage by not allowing the flights to leave.

On Tuesday, Blinken said he was “not aware of anyone being held on an aircraft or any hostage-like situation” and that anyone with “valid” travel documents is being allowed to leave. But he also acknowledged some flights have stalled.

But Blinken’s comments only further frustrated lawmakers in both parties, as The Hill’s Laura Kelly reported.

ID fight: A particular flashpoint was Blinken saying the administration could not verify the identities of passengers on the planes. The remark that drew swift pushback from Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee whose office is vouching for at least two planes full of American citizens, at-risk Afghan allies and their families, including small children.

“The information we provided the State Department is above and beyond what is usually required for travel in Afghanistan,” Maria McElwain, a spokesperson for Blumenthal, wrote in an email to The Hill in response to the secretary’s remarks in Qatar.

McElwain said the senator’s office provided the State Department with the planes’ manifests as early as Aug. 30, with continual updates through Monday, and that Blinken was “not correct” in saying passenger identities cannot be verified.

She further called it “clearly problematic” for the State Department to rely on the Taliban to individually verify “extremely vulnerable Afghans on these flights.”

 

AIDES FRUSTRATED, TOO

Congressional aides are also fretting that the administration appears to have lost its sense of urgency to get people out now that the airlift has ended, as The Hill’s Rebecca Beitsch reported.

The aides voiced their frustration following a briefing in which they said the State Department provided few details about any plans for assisting the more than 100,000 vulnerable Afghans who remain in the country.

“The impression I got was the urgency is gone,” said one source on the call. “And it’s this tacit admission that while we did a big evacuation, we’ve gotten out our real priorities.”

Awaiting approval: Left behind in Afghanistan are 550 Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders who worked with the U.S. military for at least two years.

But many more Afghans have applications awaiting final approval.

“That’s a ton of people. That’s people who are approved but don't have the visa; people who the embassy had to destroy their passport; people who didn't have everything or are somewhere in the process, somewhere in the pipeline,” said another aide on the call.

“But if you don't have a visa in your passport, you're dooky out of luck.”

Priority groups?: Adding to the number of Afghan allies seeking evacuation are those who qualify for the Priority 1 and Priority 2 programs created by the Biden administration but who never made it out on a flight. Those individuals assisted the U.S military for less than two years or worked on democratization efforts or with nonprofits aligned with the U.S.

The number of Afghans in the two priority groups could surpass 145,000 when including family members, according to an estimate by the Association of Wartime Allies.

“They don't have a plan on how they’re going to get more P1 and P2 people out. They’re focused principally on U.S. passport holders and people in their immediate families,” the second source said.

State’s response: When reached for comment, a State Department spokesperson said: "Despite the perilous conditions on the ground and immense security challenges, the United States and our Allies were able to evacuate safely tens of thousands of Afghans at risk. This heartbreaking reality is that many of our longtime partners were unable to leave over the past two weeks, given the security conditions, including the heinous August 25 attack that killed 13 servicemembers and over 100 Afghans."

The spokesperson also pointed to recent comments by Blinken, who said, “We’re not stopping our work to help Americans and at-risk Afghans in Afghanistan. We’re going to do everything we can moving forward to continue this mission and also to learn from it."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kirk and N.W:

U.S. Senator Biden voted for the U.S. to invade Afghanistan and Iraq. He was present at the creation of the geopolitical disaster that we now face.

As I wrote in this topic earlier, the Trump Surrender Treaty plan was devised some time ago by Putin and his think tank in Moscow. It was presented to President Trump for implementation with the Taliban, which he as their faithful agent successfully undertook to accomplish.

However, no one, not even Putin, foresaw that Biden would ratify the Trump Surrender Treaty or that his plan for Americans to evacuate Afghanistan would be so ineptly devised and carried out in such a disastrous way. He and his incompetent Secretary of State Blinken bear the responsibility for this. The latter should be forced to resign immediately.

Elon Musk twitted when Biden’s fiasco first emerged that world war is now likely, maybe even inevitable.

The commentator in the Sky News video also implied that this could occur and that the U.S. might initiate a nuclear was when we realized all was lost and that we had been cornered.

The assassination of President Kennedy was a seminal event that had the effect of America slowly sliding to self destruction. JFK, although burdened with personal flaws, understood what was at stake and unilaterally tried to enlist the Soviet Union in a common cause that was supremely important to the whole world and for that reason was murdered by elements in the U.S. government who jealously resented that JFK had acted without their authorization.

JFK allegedly said to Jackie in the midst of the Cuban Missile Crisis that “better Red than dead.” Today I think many American would say “better dead than Red” although there are also many who think highly of Putin and of authoritarian government.

America appears to be in a slow motion slide into oblivion. Such a slide could quickly accelerate if Biden makes another disastrous judgment.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doug: The number of Afghans in the two priority groups could surpass 145,000 when including family members, according to an estimate by the Association of Wartime Allies.

145,000 people?  I'm sure there are a lot of Afghans who once gave us a cab ride who would like to relocate to the U.S. even if they're in no political danger. Did you ever count on us evacuating 200,000 Afghan people? I don't think the U.S. ever counted on processing all those people. They're doing a lot of this on the seat  of the pants, but now under increased international political and media pressure.

 

Doug: Elon Musk twitted when Biden’s fiasco first emerged that world war is now likely, maybe even inevitable.

Elon Musk?  War between whom? He does says off the wall crap sometimes, amidst some good stuff about things he knows about.

The commentator in the Sky News video also implied that this could occur and that the U.S. might initiate a nuclear was when we realized all was lost and that we had been cornered.

Cornered? Explain the chain of events by how "all will be lost" and we'll be "cornered" into starting  a nuclear war?

So Blinken resigns, then what? What do you propose?

*****

Doug:The Trump Surrender Treaty plan was devised some time ago by Putin and his think tank in Moscow. It was presented to President Trump for implementation with the Taliban, which he as their faithful agent successfully undertook to accomplish.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Particularly given that it was negotiated without the presence of the Afghan government. But a lot of time has elapsed. Why hasn't anybody said a peep, at least about what a poor negotiation it was?

Doug:Today I think many American would say “better dead than Red” although there are also many who think highly of Putin and of authoritarian government.

That sounds like a lot of cold war rhetoric to me. So how are we in danger of going red?

 

Edited by Kirk Gallaway
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...