Jump to content
The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years


Recommended Posts

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.236632/gov.uscourts.dcd.236632.35.0_2.pdf

 

Presidents are not kings”

 

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

)
DONALD J. TRUMP, )
)
Plaintiff, )
)
v. )
)
Civil Action No. 21-cv-2769 (TSC)
)
BENNIE G. THOMPSON, in his official
capacity as Chairman of the United States
House Select Committee to Investigate the
January 6th Attack on the United States
Capitol, et al.,
)
Defendants.

 

IV. CONCLUSION
For reasons explained above, the court will deny Plaintiff’s request to enjoin Defendants from enforcing or complying with the Select Committee’s August 25, 2021, requests because Plaintiff is unlikely to succeed on the merits of his claims or suffer irreparable harm, and because a balance of the equities and public interest bear against granting his requested relief.

Date: November 9, 2021


Tanya S. Chutkan
TANYA S. CHUTKAN
United States District Judge

 

Steve Thomas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Steve Thomas

    1188

  • Douglas Caddy

    1104

  • W. Niederhut

    1014

  • Benjamin Cole

    917

10 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

IMO, we should all look to reputable scholars, historians, and economists for informed perspectives on current events, rather than getting our ideas and opinions from political pundits.

One doesn’t need someone else’s  perspective in todays world. If you simply stop watching/reading the MSM and listen to what central bankers are saying, its very obvious what “current events” are about, another “new world order” attempt where central bank controlled corporations own everything including the human mind. If you still think thats a theory, you aren’t paying attention. Again, the passports are critical to this plan and we see freedom of speech under vicious attack by the democrats and their minions champion the effort while going mad over Trump. 

 

 

 

Edited by Dennis Berube
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ben & Dennis,

     As a follow up to your comments about Professor Nancy MacLean, I should mention that she is an unusually informed source of information about the social and political history of the current GOP.

     Before MacLean published her highly acclaimed history of the Koch Machine-- Democracy in Chains -- she wrote a book about the history of the reincarnation of the KKK after 1915.   As most people know, the reincarnated KKK was a very popular, powerful political movement, even in places like Colorado and Indiana-- a white supremacist prototype of modern day Trump-ism.

https://www.amazon.com/Behind-Mask-Chivalry-Making-Second/dp/0195098366

     As for the misanthropic libertarian Koch Machine, it bought the GOP during the past decade. 

     More specifically, the Kochs bought control of the U.S. Senate in 2014, which is still largely controlled by our American plutocracy-- 50 GOP Senators + Manchin + Sinema. 

      And they bought the SCOTUS, including the truly disastrous 5-4 SCOTUS rulings on Citizens United and Shelby v. Holder.

     While I agree with the Michael Hudson/Jeff Carter commentary (above) about the current corporate Democratic sabotage of the progressive agenda, it largely ignores the elephant in the room.

     To wit, 50 GOP Senators have repeatedly sabotaged the Freedom to Vote Act, the Build Back Better legislation, and any attempts to roll back the 2017 Trump/GOP tax cuts for billionaires.

Edited by W. Niederhut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ben & Dennis,

     As a follow up to your comments about Professor Nancy MacLean, I should mention that she is an unusually informed source of information about the social and political history of the current GOP.

     Before MacLean published her highly acclaimed history of the Koch Machine-- Democracy in Chains -- she wrote a book about the history of the reincarnation of the KKK after 1915.   As most people know, the reincarnated KKK was a very popular, powerful political movement, even in places like Colorado and Indiana-- a white supremacist prototype of modern day Trump-ism.

https://www.amazon.com/Behind-Mask-Chivalry-Making-Second/dp/0195098366

     As for the misanthropic libertarian Koch Machine, it bought the GOP during the past decade. 

     More specifically, the Kochs bought control of the U.S. Senate in 2014, which is still largely controlled by our American plutocracy-- 50 GOP Senators + Manchin + Sinema. 

      And they bought the SCOTUS, including the truly disastrous 5-4 SCOTUS rulings on Citizens United and Shelby v. Holder.

     While I agree with the Michael Hudson/Jeff Carter commentary (above) about the current corporate Democratic sabotage of the progressive agenda, it largely ignores the elephant in the room.

     To wit, 50 GOP Senators have repeatedly sabotaged the Freedom to Vote Act, the Build Back Better legislation, and any attempts to roll back the 2017 Trump/GOP tax cuts for billionaires.

W-

 

What are Nancy MacLean's views on the panopticon national security state? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2021 at 8:43 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Thanks for speaking up, Ron.

Duke University Professor Nancy MacLean is not a mass media pundit or a talking head.  She's a bona fide scholar.

IMO, we should all look to reputable scholars, historians, and economists for informed perspectives on current events, rather than getting our ideas and opinions from political pundits.

Disclaimer:   I'm biased about MacLean because she and I both graduated magna cum laude from Brown University as undergrads.  I didn't know her, because she's a bit younger than I.  (She later earned a Ph.D. in history, whereas I went to med school, but I did major in American Studies at Brown-- as did John F. Kennedy, Jr., who enrolled at Brown the year I graduated.)

Both Nancy MacLean and Jane Mayer's works Democracy In Chains and Dark Money should be read by all.  The Koches/Libertarian party did buy out the republican party many years ago.  They, the 1% own it a well as as the M$M.  The latter is used to manipulate the former.  If you don't believe me, read the reviews, and the Books.

Amazon.com: Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America: 9781101980972: MacLean, Nancy: Books

Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right: Mayer, Jane: 9780307947901: Amazon.com: Books 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

W-

 

What are Nancy MacLean's views on the panopticon national security state? 

 

Ben,

      I'm not aware of anything that MacLean has written on that subject, but I suspect that she disapproves of unwarranted government surveillance of the citizenry.

      Her area of expertise is social and political history.

     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

W-

 

What are Nancy MacLean's views on the panopticon national security state? 

 

I'm not W but actually that's what her book is all about.  The circling of the captivated prisoners for observation,   Kind of like Martino and others on the Isle of Pines, No?  No.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ben,

      I'm not aware of anything that MacLean has written on that subject, but I suspect that she disapproves of unwarranted government surveillance of the citizenry.

      Her area of expertise is social and political history.

     

Verily, nothing shows up in a Google search. MacLean is completely uninterested in the national security state that has run the country since 1963.  I wonder how and why, but let that go...

Here's the thing: I am sure MacLean is very smart, even if having lived a somewhat cloistered life. I actually roughly agree with her regarding the Koch empire, and affiliated right-wing organization, movements--as far as it goes.  

But...the bulk of today's M$M is not aligned with the Koches, but rather with the multinational-globalists, the national security-Deep State, Silicon Valley, Wall Street end entertainment-media. And the Donks have become subservient to the donor class aforementioned.

Today's M$M is the WaPo, NYT, CBS, NBC, ABC, Salon, Slate etc., and you know the rest.  They are not kowtowing to the Koches. They are embedded with the Donks, who are kowtowing to the donor class. 

The Koches may have influence inside Fox-WSJ, although even there Trump pushed the Koches aside, and rather easily. Fascinating story. Remember Trump told the Koches to buzz off. 

If I had to cut the media pie, I would say 80% is now standard Donk-M$M fare, and 15% 'Phant props, and 5% alt-news. 

From my perspective MacLean has been barking up the same tree so long, she hasn't noticed the forest has changed around her.  Which can happen in academia. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking to academia for guidance can have interesting results.

Jonathan Turley is a man with academic street-cred to the moon: 

Turley holds the Shapiro Chair for Public Interest Law at The George Washington University Law School, where he teaches torts, criminal procedure, and constitutional law. He is the youngest person to receive an academic chair in the school's history....

In appearances on Countdown with Keith Olbermann and The Rachel Maddow Show, he (Turley) called for criminal prosecution of Bush administration officials for war crimes, including torture.[22]

See the rest on Wikipedia. Interesting guy. Not a party-whore, which is rare in DC. 

Here is a segment from his blog of Nov. 8:

However, even in Washington’s inbred environment, the layers of connections to Brookings is remarkable in the Durham indictments and accounts of the effort to create a Russian collusion scandal. The effort was hardly a secret before anyone knew the name of the former British spy Christopher Steele. On July 28, former CIA Director John Brennan briefed then President Obama on Hillary Clinton’s alleged “plan” to tie Donald Trump to Russia as “a means of distracting the public from her use of a private email server.” Notes from the meeting state the plan to invent a collusion narrative was “allegedly approved by Hillary Clinton a proposal from one of her foreign policy advisers to vilify Donald Trump by stirring up a scandal claiming interference by the Russian security service.” That was three days before the Russian investigation was initiated.

Egads. 

Turley seems much more connected to the nuts-and-bolts of DC than MacLean, and of course their professional backgrounds reveal that.  

https://jonathanturley.org/2021/11/08/six-degrees-from-brookings-how-a-liberal-think-tank-keeps-coming-up-in-the-russian-collusion-investigation/

Well, a different perspective. Keep an open mind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Both Nancy MacLean and Jane Mayer's works Democracy In Chains and Dark Money should be read by all.  The Koches/Libertarian party did buy out the republican party many years ago.  They, the 1% own it a well as as the M$M.  The latter is used to manipulate the former.  If you don't believe me, read the reviews, and the Books.

Amazon.com: Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America: 9781101980972: MacLean, Nancy: Books

Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right: Mayer, Jane: 9780307947901: Amazon.com: Books 

IMO, Trump was always a Trojan horse for the Koch-owned GOP.

During the 2016 Republican primaries, Trump campaigned on the theme that he was the only GOP candidate who was not beholden to the Koch Robber Barons, because he claimed to be financing his own campaign.

What an utter joke.

The reality is that all of Trump's policy decisions as POTUS were based on kick backs and rewards for his wealthy donors.

And his only legislative "achievement," despite having a GOP-controlled House and Senate, was the 2017 tax cut bill for corporations and billionaires-- which was largely written by corporate lobbyists.

 

Edited by W. Niederhut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if those unfamiliar with U.S. politics are aware of the Citizens United case decided by the Supreme Court in 2010. That case, for all intents and purposes, made it legal to essentially buy politicians. That might be sound like hyperbole, but sadly it is true. It is one of the 2 major rulings by the SC that will lead to the likely end of the U.S. republic after either the 2022 or 2024 elections.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2021 at 9:24 PM, Benjamin Cole said:

The NYT, WaPo, and yes Fox, deliver narratives, and they have their cocooned followers. 

To be sure, no one is perfect, but head and shoulders above the rest are Matt Taibbi, Glenn Greenwald, and Aaron Mate.

I don't know if this is because you're a foreigner and get bad info, but this take is just laughably wrong on so many levels...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is some really hot stuff!

"London — Britain's Prince Harry said on Tuesday that he "warned" Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey in an email exchange on January 5 "that his platform was allowing a coup to be staged," a day before rioters attacked the U.S. Capitol building in Washington D.C."---CBS 

OK, so Prince Harry, ensconced in Hope Ranch, Santa Barbara, and conferring with Ms. Markle, determined a coup was about to be staged. Very perceptive fellow.

Meanwhile, the Capitol Police department had a rather different take on matters, according to the WaPo:

About 1:30 p.m. (Jan. 6), Capt. Carneysha Mendoza, a 19-year veteran of the Capitol Police, was at home in suburban Maryland. She had just pulled meatloaf from the oven and sat down with her 10-year-old son, Christian, before he was to spend the rest of the day with babysitters. The commander for a Capitol Police civil disturbance unit, Mendoza was about to head into work for her shift in the Capitol starting at 3 p.m."

Solution: Make Prince Harry the new Captain of the Capitol Police department, and the 3,500 officers they have on payroll (dozens, perhaps even hundreds of whom showed up on Jan. 6 ), all of whom report to the legislative branch of government. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...