The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

Daily Trends in COVID-19 Cases in the United States Reported to CDC 01-14-2022

This is from the CDC. 

As you can see, your chances of getting COVID-19 are about six times greater today than the previous spike-peak, back in Dec-Jan a year ago. 

So, if you are having stomach problems, go get tested. More than one million people a day are getting infected and that is just people who asked to be tested or go to a hospital. 

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

I have to wonder if the end result of the now last 58 years might turn out at 61 years.  Not just from reading this, but all concerned should do so.  Is Our concept of a quasi Democracy/Capitalism run amok already gone and we can't comprehend it or do anything about it?

Yale history professor Timothy Snyder told Insider he fears American democracy may not survive another Trump campaign (msn.com)

Ben,

Gastrointestinal symptoms are not typical for Omicron infections.  Did you eat some bad pad thai?

My wife and I both tested positive for COVID on Christmas morning, two days after my daughter tested positive.  It was most likely Omicron, because we are fully vaccinated, with third boosters in late September.

I don't know how typical our personal experiences with Omicron were for vaccinated people in their 60s, but we recovered fully after about 10 days. 

Our Omicron symptoms were largely upper respiratory-- coughing, scratchy throat, myalgias, fatigue, and sinusitis-- without progression to pneumonia and shortness of breath.

I never lost my sense of taste.  I did experience some transient trigeminal nerve inflammation and left-sided facial twitching on Day (?) 3 or 4.  Somewhat creepy, but short-lived.

It has taken me another 10 days to get back to doing my regular weight-lifting and aerobic work outs, but I feel pretty much back to normal now.  No symptoms.

Not sure how my bout of Omicron compares with those of the unvaccinated.

A recent study from Sweden showed a strong T-cell response to Omicron infection in vaccinated people, but an insufficient initial antibody response to prevent infection.

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ben,

Gastrointestinal symptoms are not typical for Omicron infections.  Did you eat some bad pad thai?

My wife and I both tested positive for COVID on Christmas morning, two days after my daughter tested positive.  It was most likely Omicron, because we are fully vaccinated, with third boosters in late September.

I don't know how typical our personal experiences with Omicron were for vaccinated people in their 60s, but we recovered fully after about 10 days. 

Our Omicron symptoms were largely upper respiratory-- coughing, scratchy throat, myalgias, fatigue, and sinusitis-- without progression to pneumonia and shortness of breath.

I never lost my sense of taste.  I did experience some transient trigeminal nerve inflammation and left-sided facial twitching on Day (?) 3 or 4.  Somewhat creepy, but short-lived.

It has taken me another 10 days to get back to doing my regular weight-lifting and aerobic work outs, but I feel pretty much back to normal now.  No symptoms.

Not sure how my bout of Omicron compares with those of the unvaccinated.

A recent study from Sweden showed a strong T-cell response to Omicron infection in vaccinated people, but an insufficient initial antibody response to prevent infection.

"How Omicron can affect your gut; symptoms to watch out for

• Omicron can affect your gut apart from upper respiratory tract and the abdominal symptoms are becoming common in people infected with the new strain.
  • Suffering from vomiting, nausea and abdominal pain without fever? It could be due to Omicron infection, and experts say one should get tested for Covid if you have these abdominal complaints even without respiratory symptoms or fever.

---30---

https://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/health/how-omicron-can-affect-your-gut-symptoms-to-watch-out-for-101641962757294.html

W--

Perhaps there are different strains of what is called omicron, that cause different symptoms...a question way out of my ken. 

I am glad your C19 symptoms subsided with serious long-term effect. 

Side note: A friend of mine in SoCal developed a "mini-mini stroke" with C19. Left-side of his body went limp for a couple minutes and he was taken to the hospital. Total recovery, but told to diet and exercise. Don't know if they a similar deal to your facial twitching. 

As for "bad pad Thai" I have eaten enough dubious food in the last 10 years in Thailand that I am probably impervious....

https://freespeechforpeople.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/nc-14.3-complaint-cawthorn-final-2022-01-10.pdf

STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA BEFORE THE NORTH CAROLINA
STATE BOARD OF ELECTIONS
)
In re Challenge to )
the constitutional qualifications of ) Notice of
Rep. Madison Cawthorn ) Candidacy Challenge
__________________________________________)
INTRODUCTION
1. The Challengers in this action (“Challengers”), registered voters in the
13th Congressional District, have reasonable suspicion, pursuant to N.C. GEN. STAT.§ 163-127, that Representative Madison Cawthorn, a candidate for North Carolina’s 13th Congressional District, does not meet the federal constitutional requirements for a Member of the U.S. House of Representatives and is therefore ineligible to be a candidate for such office.
2. Under North Carolina law, when a challenger provides “reasonable suspicion or belief” of facts establishing that a candidate “does not meet the constitutional . . . qualifications for the office,” then “[t]he burden of proof shall be upon the candidate” to “show by a preponderance of the evidence . . . that he or she is qualified to be a candidate for the office.” N.C. GEN. STAT. §§ 163-127.2(b), 163-
127.5(a).
3. Under Section Three of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, known as the Disqualification Clause, “No Person shall be a . . .Representative in Congress . . . who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress . . . to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engagedin insurrection or rebellion against the same.”
6. The events of January 6, 2021 amounted to an insurrection or a rebellion under Section Three: a coordinated effort to prevent the Vice President of the United States and the United States Congress from fulfilling their constitutional roles by certifying President Biden’s victory, and to illegally extend
then-President Trump’s tenure in office.

7. In 1869, the North Carolina Supreme Court issued the leading national precedent on the meaning of “engage” under Section Three. The Court held that a candidate “engages” in a rebellion or insurrection for the purposes of the Disqualification Clause by “[v]oluntarily aiding the rebellion, by personal service, or by contributions, other than charitable, of any thing that was useful or necessary.”
Worthy v. Barrett, 63 N.C. 199, 203 (1869).

10. Challengers have reasonable suspicion that Representative Cawthorn was involved in efforts to intimidate Congress and the Vice President into rejecting valid electoral votes and subvert the essential constitutional function of an orderly and peaceful transition of power.

-more-

Steve Thomas

14 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Heads up to anyone--

If you have stomach upset about now, you may have been exposed to omicron.

For whatever reason, people who get omicron may not have the usual symptoms, but can have something that feels like food poisoning or stomach flu. 

Moreover, omicron can do an end-around on vaccinations, so being vaccinated is not a defense. 

In my village, most everyone now has stomach problems, and one tested positive for omicron. Most were double-shotted, but not boosted, like me. 

The bad stomach will last about 10 days, based on my case and that of neighbors. No one died, and most were moderately active through the ordeal. 

https://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/health/how-omicron-can-affect-your-gut-symptoms-to-watch-out-for-101641962757294.html

Good luck everyone. Regardless of your ideological slants and political affiliations, I do not wish stomach ills on anyone. 

Yes, stomach deep soreness type pain with nausea. Complete loss of appetite.

With me I am having "all" these other symptoms as well:

Kind of torturous.

Extreme arm pain of course.

Pain all over like a bad body flu.

Pain in sinus and temple area.

Spontaneous runny nose off on and off.

Chills. Sweats. Hot face. No fever though.

Weak, weak. 

And I couldn't fall asleep at all last night. Not one minute!

The non-stop nausea is the worst.

I still can't believe this booster reaction. Could getting the Omicron be any worse?

I wouldn't have gotten the booster if I knew in advance that I would be going through this powerful bad reaction. And I must tell you, that at 70 years old, overweight with heart and other issues, there is a fear there. Hope this all goes away.

This recent analysis by a professor of epidemiology at Kings College is a fairly precise description of the Omicron symptoms my wife and I experienced recently.

What are the symptoms of omicron?

https://theconversation.com/what-are-the-symptoms-of-omicron-174476

January 11, 2021

List of most common omicron symptoms

Edited by W. Niederhut

Yes Joe, It sounds like you should get tested. Just do it!

I've had 3 modernas now so I'm ground zero for a lot of these spike protein naysayers.  My first Moderna I had no reaction whatsoever. But the next 2 I did have have reactions. The next day I felt under the weather. It didn't stop me from doing a mild schedule. The first reaction day, I did get a haircut  and do chores.The second one was similar, in both cases I felt like I was coming on to a bad cold that never really materialized. Never any hard symptoms and in In both cases after waking up from a sleep. I felt refreshed.

True to the covid conspiracy theorists, I am encouraged to take the shot and have gotten  credit ($15) for each shot and booster through  my health rewards card to buy health care related items for free. Yeah, tough world we live in!  I was taking it anyway, so that didn't matter. Then I was walking through my grocery chain, when they were offering flu shots and I could get one on the spot and get a $5 credit for it, so I did it and I'll be damned if I didn't get a mild reaction to that the next day too! I don't take flu shot every year and I haven't gotten a flu in years and I don't know if I will in the future.  I personally want no muss and fuss for the flu. I  regret getting this one.

Then I've got these endless e mails to take moderna surveys and even Pfizer surveys and I didn't even take the Pfizer!  It sounds like maybe I'm doing a good thing  and   If i fill out the surveys they promise a gift worth $90, and all I have to pay for is shipping. They give me a choice of about a dozen of the same items. I've done this before, and the manufacturers end up billing me for the item anyway. I receive the merchandise, and get the bill later..  I spend time over the phone, explaining to them that I was offered to take a survey and the item was for free except for shipping and they act like they've never done business with the survey takers ever before! But in the end, they don't dispute and I get the item, which never seems like it's worth  $90 bucks, So I decided I was never taking those surveys  again because the hassle just isn't worth it, unless you're really looking for a decent flashlight, keto pills or skin cream. Just a word of caution!

I had Omicron two weeks ago and suffered badly for four days. I had most of the symptoms listed above by W.N. 

I was helped immensely in combatting it by taking Wagreen's Severe Cold and Flu medicine -- Daytime and Nighttime bottles. These are over-the-counter products. 

My favorite new album last winter was 80 year old Paul McCartney's remarkable one man studio album McCartney III.

This winter, it's 70 year old Sting's The Bridge, released on November 19, 2021.

I have followed Sting's career closely, from the earliest days of The Police to his solo career, The Last Ship, and his Deutsche Gramophone recordings of John Dowland's Renaissance songs.

The original songs on The Bridge draw, stylistically, from his entire, eclectic repertoire.  It's all good.  Mostly melancholy.

I don't know any details, but it sounds like Sting's marriage is on the rocks.

In any case, they're promoting two of the pop numbers, but my favorites on the new album are his simple, beautiful classical guitar songs-- For Her Love, The Bridge, (title track) The Bells of St. Thomas, and Waters of Tyne-- along with his bass jam/skat number, Captain Bateman's Basement, that sounds like something written by Charles Mingus or the jazz fusion recordings of Stanley Clarke.

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

This recent analysis by a professor of epidemiology at Kings College is a fairly precise description of the Omicron symptoms my wife and I experienced recently.

What are the symptoms of omicron?

https://theconversation.com/what-are-the-symptoms-of-omicron-174476

January 11, 2021

List of most common omicron symptoms

Thanks for the link WN.

Just viewed it.

The most powerful symptoms for me are the body weakness ( just incredible) pronounced body flu pain everywhere, nausea and stomach pain, pain behind eyes and in the temples and lesser ones of chills and sweats.

Just laying here in bed I feel weak.

Still feel all this 46 hours after the shot!

Getting this 12 hours after this latest booster shot is what confounds me.

Did the booster shot cause this? Or did I pick up the variant just before the shot?

Take care all.

5 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Thanks for the link WN.

Just viewed it.

The most powerful symptoms for me are the body weakness ( just incredible) pronounced body flu pain everywhere, nausea and stomach pain, pain behind eyes and in the temples and lesser ones of chills and sweats.

Did the booster shot cause this? Or did I pick up the variant just before the shot?

Take care all.

Joe---

You may have some tough decisions to make in the future. COVID-19 will keep evolving, mutating to become a form that current vaccinations/boosters are ineffective against. 

Daily Trends in COVID-19 Cases in the United States Reported to CDC 01-14-2022

Chart from CDC. 

"Experts warn of more COVID-19 variants after Omicron"--Axios

As you can see, the omicron wave dwarfs everything that came before. But future C19 waves could be even more infectious, and more impervious to vaccinations and boosters. 

In a way, evolutionarily speaking, this makes sense. The C19 strains that can overcome a vaccination and which are most infectious are the strains that will prevail. 

This strikes me as the public-health sector's Vietnamistan, but to wonder aloud is not PC, so I will go mute. 

15 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Thanks for the link WN.

Just viewed it.

Take care all.

Joe,

I got the booster (moderna) at the begining of December.  Four days later I started feeling poorly and I left work--that was a Friday.  Over the weekend I looked for a Covid test because I began to have suspicions--none were available.  Monday I noticed I didn't have the sense of taste or smell, so I called my doctor and was immediately scheduled for a PCR test at the local hospital.  Four hours later, I was told that I was positive for Covid.  I ended up thinking I may have contracted it when I went for my booster--how ironic!!

So, yes, it's quite possible that you've contracted Covid.  Do get a test!  Your symptoms sound like the disease and not a side effect.