Jump to content

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Abraham Lincoln Debated Candidate Frederick Douglass, in GOP History Bill

And how I wish I'd been there...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jan/14/republicans-ridiculed-debate-abraham-lincoln-frederick-douglass-virginia-schools

And, stranger still, Donald Trump thought that Frederick Douglass was still alive... 🤥

Talk about people who could really benefit from some exposure to "critical race theory."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Douglas Caddy

    1770

  • Benjamin Cole

    1575

  • Steve Thomas

    1414

  • W. Niederhut

    1408

3 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

And, stranger still, Donald Trump thought that Frederick Douglass was still alive... 🤥

Talk about people who could really benefit from some exposure to "critical race theory."

Fred told Abe right out that slavery was wack, and lost the election.  Lincoln squeaked in as a "moderate."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Joe- that's sounds like me after my 2nd shot; I was laid up for almost 48 hrs.

And then like a light switch, I was fine. My immune system had done its calculations and decided everything was cool.

Hang in there, dude :)

Thanks for the thoughtful and encouraging words Matt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Fred told Abe right out that slavery was wack, and lost the election.  Lincoln squeaked in as a "moderate."

But, apparently, in the Lincoln-Douglass debates, Abe was opposed to the extension of slavery into the Western states and territories, and Frederick Douglass thought the issue should be decided by local state legislatures. 🤥

Thank God for the Trump GOP's well-informed Project 1776.

Edited by W. Niederhut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chris Davidson said:

It's not the source per say, but more importantly, the documentation.

For instance:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fake-electoral-documents-under-new-scrutiny-as-trump-prepares-for-arizona-visit-180154595.html

I looked for this information on Fox's home page (supposedly Trump has a rally in Arizona scheduled for tomorrow) but did not find it, at least today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I thought I'd read this was up to seven states now but then couldn't find it again.  Thanks for posting this.  I did read where the Michigan AG was turning it over to a Federal judge.  She also mentioned that the people behind it could face up to twenty years in prison.

Then there is this.  This guy spent several thousand dollars on weapons and accessories leading up to J-6 and inauguration day.  Had not read the depth here about him.

Oath Keepers Founder Stewart Rhodes Arrested over Jan. 6 Plot - Rolling Stone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Chris Barnard said:

I've chosen the Guardian as their content often has a bias that agrees with a lot of the audience in this thread. Canadian journalist, Stephen Marche has written an article that discusses a recent topic in this thread, one some of us have been misquoted or misinterpreted on. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/04/next-us-civil-war-already-here-we-refuse-to-see-it

I wonder what people's thoughts are on this? (if any)

Another article from the same outlet in quick succession, different author.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/09/is-the-us-really-heading-for-a-second-civil-war

What are your conclusions? 

Do you consider Marche's article as accurate, or definitive? Is there anything you disagree with? If you were to play devil's advocate, is there any other way you could see the situation? 



 

Read them, tried to reread them but the Guardian wants me to register, and their link expired. I’m so tIred of this kind of thing. Anyway, I agree with him, and from what I recall I didn’t have any objections. Your question as to whether I could see the situation differently, not from my bias, reminds me of a critique I heard years ago that NPR always has a pro and con debate, and would still do so if they were talking about cannibalism. Now, could I add something to the article - probably. Sometimes things are true or false. There was a Holocaust during WW 2, despite the deniers claims. Bias isn’t always indicative of a blind spot. Don’t you allow yourself to hold an opinion? Sure, one should be able to adjust based on facts. Maybe we need to come up with another word or phrase. I have no trouble making value judgements, and have been known to change my mind on something. Right now I’m kind of at odds with my liberal Democrat friends on Covid policy. 
btw, you know what Off-Guardian is? I have hard left friends who won’t read the Guardian, think it’s centrist propaganda. I think it’s a fairly reliable source of news and opinions. How about you? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

I thought I'd read this was up to seven states now but then couldn't find it again.  Thanks for posting this.  I did read where the Michigan AG was turning it over to a Federal judge.  She also mentioned that the people behind it could face up to twenty years in prison.

Then there is this.  This guy spent several thousand dollars on weapons and accessories leading up to J-6 and inauguration day.  Had not read the depth here about him.

Oath Keepers Founder Stewart Rhodes Arrested over Jan. 6 Plot - Rolling Stone

Given all of the ballyhooed GOP concerns during the past few years about alleged voter fraud, I'll bet Fox News and the Republican media pundits (Breitbart, Newsmax, Sinclair, OAN, et.al.) are outraged by reports of these forged GOP electoral documents... 🤥

I'm guessing that they are also providing their viewers with extensive coverage of the shocking sedition charges against Stewart Rhodes and the Oath Keepers, which further debunk their oft-repeated claims that January 6th was a Deep State false flag.

But, I might be mistaken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Joe- that's sounds like me after my 2nd shot; I was laid up for almost 48 hrs.

And then like a light switch, I was fine. My immune system had done its calculations and decided everything was cool.

Hang in there, dude :)

Heads up to anyone--

If you have stomach upset about now, you may have been exposed to omicron.

For whatever reason, people who get omicron may not have the usual symptoms, but can have something that feels like food poisoning or stomach flu. 

Moreover, omicron can do an end-around on vaccinations, so being vaccinated is not a defense. 

In my village, most everyone now has stomach problems, and one tested positive for omicron. Most were double-shotted, but not boosted, like me. 

The bad stomach will last about 10 days, based on my case and that of neighbors. No one died, and most were moderately active through the ordeal. 

https://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/health/how-omicron-can-affect-your-gut-symptoms-to-watch-out-for-101641962757294.html

Good luck everyone. Regardless of your ideological slants and political affiliations, I do not wish stomach ills on anyone. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Abraham Lincoln Debated Candidate Frederick Douglass, in GOP History Bill

And how I wish I'd been there...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jan/14/republicans-ridiculed-debate-abraham-lincoln-frederick-douglass-virginia-schools

Hey, this hit the M$M on MSN.  Probably buried in a few minutes, surely in the next hour or two.  But funny to see them ridiculed for ineptness, while the subject is serious.

A Virginia bill to regulate what students can learn about history includes a historical error about Abraham Lincoln (msn.com)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Daily Trends in COVID-19 Cases in the United States Reported to CDC 01-14-2022

 

This is from the CDC. 

As you can see, your chances of getting COVID-19 are about six times greater today than the previous spike-peak, back in Dec-Jan a year ago. 

So, if you are having stomach problems, go get tested. More than one million people a day are getting infected and that is just people who asked to be tested or go to a hospital. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to wonder if the end result of the now last 58 years might turn out at 61 years.  Not just from reading this, but all concerned should do so.  Is Our concept of a quasi Democracy/Capitalism run amok already gone and we can't comprehend it or do anything about it?

Yale history professor Timothy Snyder told Insider he fears American democracy may not survive another Trump campaign (msn.com)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ben,

     Gastrointestinal symptoms are not typical for Omicron infections.  Did you eat some bad pad thai?

     My wife and I both tested positive for COVID on Christmas morning, two days after my daughter tested positive.  It was most likely Omicron, because we are fully vaccinated, with third boosters in late September.

     I don't know how typical our personal experiences with Omicron were for vaccinated people in their 60s, but we recovered fully after about 10 days. 

      Our Omicron symptoms were largely upper respiratory-- coughing, scratchy throat, myalgias, fatigue, and sinusitis-- without progression to pneumonia and shortness of breath.

     I never lost my sense of taste.  I did experience some transient trigeminal nerve inflammation and left-sided facial twitching on Day (?) 3 or 4.  Somewhat creepy, but short-lived.

     It has taken me another 10 days to get back to doing my regular weight-lifting and aerobic work outs, but I feel pretty much back to normal now.  No symptoms.

      Not sure how my bout of Omicron compares with those of the unvaccinated.

     A recent study from Sweden showed a strong T-cell response to Omicron infection in vaccinated people, but an insufficient initial antibody response to prevent infection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ben,

     Gastrointestinal symptoms are not typical for Omicron infections.  Did you eat some bad pad thai?

     My wife and I both tested positive for COVID on Christmas morning, two days after my daughter tested positive.  It was most likely Omicron, because we are fully vaccinated, with third boosters in late September.

     I don't know how typical our personal experiences with Omicron were for vaccinated people in their 60s, but we recovered fully after about 10 days. 

      Our Omicron symptoms were largely upper respiratory-- coughing, scratchy throat, myalgias, fatigue, and sinusitis-- without progression to pneumonia and shortness of breath.

     I never lost my sense of taste.  I did experience some transient trigeminal nerve inflammation and left-sided facial twitching on Day (?) 3 or 4.  Somewhat creepy, but short-lived.

     It has taken me another 10 days to get back to doing my regular weight-lifting and aerobic work outs, but I feel pretty much back to normal now.  No symptoms.

      Not sure how my bout of Omicron compares with those of the unvaccinated.

     A recent study from Sweden showed a strong T-cell response to Omicron infection in vaccinated people, but an insufficient initial antibody response to prevent infection.

"How Omicron can affect your gut; symptoms to watch out for

  • Omicron can affect your gut apart from upper respiratory tract and the abdominal symptoms are becoming common in people infected with the new strain.
  • Suffering from vomiting, nausea and abdominal pain without fever? It could be due to Omicron infection, and experts say one should get tested for Covid if you have these abdominal complaints even without respiratory symptoms or fever.

---30---

https://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/health/how-omicron-can-affect-your-gut-symptoms-to-watch-out-for-101641962757294.html

 

W--

Perhaps there are different strains of what is called omicron, that cause different symptoms...a question way out of my ken. 

I am glad your C19 symptoms subsided with serious long-term effect. 

Side note: A friend of mine in SoCal developed a "mini-mini stroke" with C19. Left-side of his body went limp for a couple minutes and he was taken to the hospital. Total recovery, but told to diet and exercise. Don't know if they a similar deal to your facial twitching. 

As for "bad pad Thai" I have eaten enough dubious food in the last 10 years in Thailand that I am probably impervious....

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://freespeechforpeople.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/nc-14.3-complaint-cawthorn-final-2022-01-10.pdf

 

STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA BEFORE THE NORTH CAROLINA
STATE BOARD OF ELECTIONS
)
In re Challenge to )
the constitutional qualifications of ) Notice of
Rep. Madison Cawthorn ) Candidacy Challenge
__________________________________________)
INTRODUCTION
1. The Challengers in this action (“Challengers”), registered voters in the
13th Congressional District, have reasonable suspicion, pursuant to N.C. GEN. STAT.§ 163-127, that Representative Madison Cawthorn, a candidate for North Carolina’s 13th Congressional District, does not meet the federal constitutional requirements for a Member of the U.S. House of Representatives and is therefore ineligible to be a candidate for such office.
2. Under North Carolina law, when a challenger provides “reasonable suspicion or belief” of facts establishing that a candidate “does not meet the constitutional . . . qualifications for the office,” then “[t]he burden of proof shall be upon the candidate” to “show by a preponderance of the evidence . . . that he or she is qualified to be a candidate for the office.” N.C. GEN. STAT. §§ 163-127.2(b), 163-
127.5(a).
3. Under Section Three of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, known as the Disqualification Clause, “No Person shall be a . . .Representative in Congress . . . who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress . . . to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engagedin insurrection or rebellion against the same.”
6. The events of January 6, 2021 amounted to an insurrection or a rebellion under Section Three: a coordinated effort to prevent the Vice President of the United States and the United States Congress from fulfilling their constitutional roles by certifying President Biden’s victory, and to illegally extend
then-President Trump’s tenure in office.

7. In 1869, the North Carolina Supreme Court issued the leading national precedent on the meaning of “engage” under Section Three. The Court held that a candidate “engages” in a rebellion or insurrection for the purposes of the Disqualification Clause by “[v]oluntarily aiding the rebellion, by personal service, or by contributions, other than charitable, of any thing that was useful or necessary.”
Worthy v. Barrett, 63 N.C. 199, 203 (1869).

10. Challengers have reasonable suspicion that Representative Cawthorn was involved in efforts to intimidate Congress and the Vice President into rejecting valid electoral votes and subvert the essential constitutional function of an orderly and peaceful transition of power.

-more-

 

Steve Thomas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Heads up to anyone--

If you have stomach upset about now, you may have been exposed to omicron.

For whatever reason, people who get omicron may not have the usual symptoms, but can have something that feels like food poisoning or stomach flu. 

Moreover, omicron can do an end-around on vaccinations, so being vaccinated is not a defense. 

In my village, most everyone now has stomach problems, and one tested positive for omicron. Most were double-shotted, but not boosted, like me. 

The bad stomach will last about 10 days, based on my case and that of neighbors. No one died, and most were moderately active through the ordeal. 

https://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/health/how-omicron-can-affect-your-gut-symptoms-to-watch-out-for-101641962757294.html

Good luck everyone. Regardless of your ideological slants and political affiliations, I do not wish stomach ills on anyone. 

Yes, stomach deep soreness type pain with nausea. Complete loss of appetite.

With me I am having "all" these other symptoms as well:

Kind of torturous.

Extreme arm pain of course.

Pain all over like a bad body flu.

Pain in sinus and temple area.

Spontaneous runny nose off on and off.

Chills. Sweats. Hot face. No fever though.

Weak, weak. 

And I couldn't fall asleep at all last night. Not one minute!

The non-stop nausea is the worst.

I still can't believe this booster reaction. Could getting the Omicron be any worse?

I wouldn't have gotten the booster if I knew in advance that I would be going through this powerful bad reaction. And I must tell you, that at 70 years old, overweight with heart and other issues, there is a fear there. Hope this all goes away.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...