The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

12 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Politically in the U.S. I've never seen a more dictatorial "cancel culture"  censorship than the current Republican Party There is literally no disagreement allowed to Trump or they will tremble in fear to lose their jobs.. They' even gave up having a party platform. That's unprecedented.

Boycotting is a tool that Young is employing, Of course people can disagree.

Re the Pandemic. You can hem and haw, but it's been going on since the start of civilization. There are epidemics, and people don't want to be around people who can make them or their loved ones fatally sick, no matter how remote a chance the potential carriers think that is. 

As for Neil, I used to do an impersonation of Neil that would bring the house down. I hadn't done it in years, but it was received favorably playing out with my friend in Florida last spring.  And that was fun!

Before he met her. I dated his wife of many years, before he dumped her for Darryl Hannah a few years back , she's since died of cancer.

Kirk,

Spot on.   And the current Republican Party "cancel culture" goes far beyond the requisite endorsement of Trump's Big Lie about the 2020 election and the denial of his January 6th coup attempt.  It's also about denying true history and science-- e.g., suppressing the teaching of the  history of slavery, racism and genocidal Manifest Destiny in America, and evolutionary biology.  Are germ theory and epidemiology next?

Paul Krugman published an excellent review of Republican cancel culture/thought policing in the New York Times this week.  (Unfortunately, the people who really need to study Krugman's facts and analysis are the ones who won't.)

Attack of the Right Wing Thought Police

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/24/opinion/florida-critical-race-theory-de-santis.html

January 24, 2022

This gets at the deeper issue of Post Truth politics and propaganda in the U.S. nowadays-- the use of alternate facts to support false theories, and the related claim that, "no one has a monopoly on truth."

Another manifestation of Post Truth-ism is the claim that people who tell the truth by pointing out the actual facts are being "uncivil" and intolerant.

As for your Neil Young parody, do you do stand up comedy, or is this from your radio show?

Some guy on the National Lampoon Radio Hour used to do hilarious Neil Young parodies back in the early 70s.  It was after NY released his Harvest album, because one of the parodies was a falsetto song called, "I Need Someone to Keep My Shorts Clean," based on NY's song, A Man Needs a Maid.

Edited by W. Niederhut

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

On 1/25/2022 at 6:33 AM, Ty Carpenter said:

Your comment is telling though, if it was Trump who said this, you would be up in arms calling for impeachment or something.

Ty, I'm surprised you bring this up. You don't remember all the unpleasant things Trump would say "on mic" to reporters faces, calling them "fake news." "nasty" , "terrible reporters" "third rate reporters". I thought Trump supporters celebrated  insulting reporters  but I give you credit that you weren't in that group, but you obviously haven't seen that Trump is the most insulting of all Presidents we've ever had and that was with fair questions and not  unknowingly with a "hot mic".

Here is an exchange in the Spring of 2020, in a  period of great uncertainty at the beginning of the covid  pandemic when a reporter asks.

Alexander asked, "What do you say to Americans who are scared?"Trump, shaking his head, ripped into Alexander in response.
Trump:"I say that you are a terrible reporter," Trump replied. "That's what I say."

The President proceeded to launch into an extended rant against Alexander, saying he asked a "nasty question" and assailing NBC and its parent company, Comcast."You're doing sensationalism," Trump charged. "And the same with NBC and Comcast. I don't call it Comcast. I call it 'Con-Cast.'""Let me just tell you something," Trump added. "That's really bad reporting. And you ought to get back to reporting instead of sensationalism."

This was a softball question that any true leader would have seized upon to reassure the public that "it's going to be tough but we're going to pull through". But Trump didn't have it in him. We can talk just about his civility, but almost 2  years later and probably million American lives lost by the end of this , 20 times the number of people lost in the Viet Nam War, this was a great tragedy, that could have lost him the election.

And Fox News reinforced it, and  was complicit with these insults which now make them look so hypocritical.

The question itself was obvious and made to embarrass, but within the arc of testy questions reporters ask Presidents.

More examples of Trump's treatment of reporters, of less testy questions..

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-lashes-out-at-reporters-during-coronavirus-press-briefings-2020-4

Trump didn't sign this newly unearthed 2020 election EO. We need to know why.

Jan. 25, 2022, 4:34 AM CST

By Joyce Vance,

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/trump-didn-t-sign-newly-unearthed-2020-election-eo-we-n1287959?icid=msd_topgrid

"The draft EO is titled “PRESIDENTIAL FINDINGS TO PRESERVE COLLECT AND ANALYZE NATIONAL SECURITY INFORMATION REGARDING THE 2020 GENERAL ELECTION.””

This draft is dated December 16, 2020

“How widely did the draft EO circulate? We don’t know for certain. But on Dec. 21, 2020, outgoing Attorney General William Barr publicly announced that there was no need for the federal government to seize voting machines or to appoint a special counsel, another provision in the draft executive order. Barr resigned two days later, explaining that he wanted to spend more time with his family — just a few days before the Christmas holiday and with less than a month to go before the end of the administration.”

Curiouser and curiouser.

Steve Thomas

4 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Ty, I'm surprised you bring this up. You don't remember all the unpleasant things Trump would say "on mic" to reporters faces, calling them "fake news." "nasty" , "terrible reporters" "third rate reporters". I thought Trump supporters celebrated  insulting reporters  but I give you credit that you weren't in that group, but you obviously haven't seen that Trump is the most insulting of all Presidents we've ever had and that was with fair questions and not  unknowingly with a "hot mic".

Here is an exchange in the Spring of 2020, in a  period of great uncertainty at the beginning of the covid  pandemic when a reporter asks.

Alexander asked, "What do you say to Americans who are scared?"Trump, shaking his head, ripped into Alexander in response.
Trump:"I say that you are a terrible reporter," Trump replied. "That's what I say."

The President proceeded to launch into an extended rant against Alexander, saying he asked a "nasty question" and assailing NBC and its parent company, Comcast."You're doing sensationalism," Trump charged. "And the same with NBC and Comcast. I don't call it Comcast. I call it 'Con-Cast.'""Let me just tell you something," Trump added. "That's really bad reporting. And you ought to get back to reporting instead of sensationalism."

This was a softball question that any true leader would have seized upon to reassure the public that "it's going to be tough but we're going to pull through". But Trump didn't have it in him. We can talk just about his civility, but almost 2  years later and probably million American lives lost by the end of this , 20 times the number of people lost in the Viet Nam War, this was a great tragedy, that could have lost him the election.

And Fox News reinforced it, and  was complicit with these insults which now make them look so hypocritical.

The question itself was obvious and made to embarrass, but within the arc of testy questions reporters ask Presidents.

More examples of Trump's treatment of reporters, of less testy questions..

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-lashes-out-at-reporters-during-coronavirus-press-briefings-2020-4

Kirk,

I only broached the subject as I was not seeing the same outrage from the group here towards a D president when he made a tasteless comment.  

Biden claims to be a "great uniter" but his comments tell me otherwise. 

I had the assumption (most likely incorrect) that folks had problems with these types of comments coming from our "leaders" no matter their political affiliation, but it appears that concerns over decorum are only valid against a politician from the other side. 

9 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

I only broached the subject as I was not seeing the same outrage from the group here towards a D president when he made a tasteless comment.  

Ty, there is a die hard contingent of pro-corporate Democrats on this forum that will simply never concede anything when it comes to "left vs. right" political analysis. It's not worth your time here for that type of thing, in my opinion anyway. There is also great researchers who post some great stuff here.

People who still believe in the Democratic party have thoroughly failed to guard against the obvious manipulation of their party's main political goals, which is indistinguishable from the World Economic Fourm (aka central banking cartel). The party alignments have done a partial flop. Some Republican states are now the ones passing extended unemployment bills and attempting to keep jobs and businesses open while the "left" denies medical treatment to Americans who didn't receive an untested gene therapy injection from criminal corporations (not looking to debate this, I am well aware of the official corporate narrative). They are completely walking all over the Constitution and are apparently not even aware it exists.  In a poll, Democrats believe on average 50% of covid cases end up in the hospital. They believe 99% of everyone in the hospital are unvaccinated. They are literally living in an alternate reality of fear and rushing to give away liberties earned by centuries of sacrifice. In MA, the "official" CDC data lists over 50% of hospitalized cases as fully vaccinated and they do not count people who had their last injection within 14 days. They also tell you in the fine print that the vaccinated cases/hospitalizations/deaths are undercounted due to data aggregation issues. So in reality, well over 50% of people in the hospital for covid are vaccinated, yet these Democrats continue to push for discrimination via passports for restaurants. If you mention that maybe we should use passports to vote, they will start crying and try to tell you that you don't care about people. Complete insanity. If anyone wants to say this is irrelevant to the above Biden discussion, remember this. Biden has barely been president for 1 year and by far the number one thing he has focused on is vaccinating everyone, just like most world "leaders". If you believe him, you have already received three injections in a single year and are immune to nothing other than supporting convicted criminal companies like Pfizer and J&J. You also support censorship with White House/intelligence agency coordination and probably will say things like "private companies can do what they want" ignorantly. That is not the Democratic party of JFK/MLK as far as I'm concerned. Not all Republicans are created equal either though, Charlie Baker is a disgrace.

It was great to see Len had Dave Ratcliffe on Black Op Radio recently and he laid it all out for his audience, much like Rogan has done for his.

image.png.f23bb77a2495e633858666ed0ddec83c.png

On 1/25/2022 at 3:01 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Ty,

C'mon, man... common ground?  With Trump supporters who have been chanting, "Let's go, Brandon!" (i.e., "F*** Joe Biden!") all year?  When did you guys finally start deploring profanity?

Common ground with guys who have been making death threats to U.S. election officials, refusing to acknowledge that Biden won the 2020 election, or that Trump incited a violent attack on the U.S. Congress to block the certification of Biden's election?

What sort of "common ground" do you have in mind?  I'm all ears.

As for Biden privately referring to the Fox News gadfly, Peter Doocy, as a "stupid son-of-a-bitch" (on an accidentally open mic) were you similarly outraged when Trump said, "Get that son-of-a-bitch off the field!" when he saw Civil Rights protester Colin Kaepernick kneeling on an NFL sideline?   Remember that comment?

Which was the more egregious Presidential comment, in your opinion-- a POTUS privately cursing about a sleazy Fox News propagandist, or a POTUS public cursing about a conscientious Civil Rights protester?

Image tagged in covid-19 - Imgflip

Ty,

I asked you some questions yesterday, (above) in response to your comments about Biden and Peter Doocy. 

How about answering them?

In particular, can we find common ground-- for example, on basic issues like respecting the Constitution and the rule of law in the U.S.?  Acknowledging the fact that Biden was lawfully elected to the Presidency and that Trump conspired to obstruct the certification of the election?

Surely, reasonable people can agree about the fundamental importance of respect for the rule of law.

Also, which was the more egregious Presidential SOB gaffe, in your opinion-- Biden calling a disingenuous reporter a son-of-a-bitch, or Trump calling a conscientious Civil Rights protester a son-of-a-bitch?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Speaking of Post-Truth politics, folks...  Geez... It has infected the Education Forum in recent months... 😬

In response, is it "uncivil" of me to post some true facts?

Regarding Dennis Berube's bizarre anti-vax/anti-Biden diatribe above, I urge people to carefully study the 2021 CDC data  on COVID hospitalization and death rates by vaccination status.  (For some reason, I can't copy-and-paste the CDC charts.)

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#covidnet-hospitalizations-vaccination

2021 hospitalization and death rates in the U.S. were dramatically reduced by vaccines! 

2021 COVID morbidity and mortality was strongly associated with being un-vaccinated.

Opinion: The midterms could be a bloodbath for Democrats. And there may be little that candidates can do about it.---WaPo

By Henry Olsen

Columnist|Follow

Yesterday at 4:50 p.m. EST

Democrats are right to be concerned that the upcoming midterm elections could be a disaster. A close look at the data from 2021 elections in Virginia and New Jersey suggest it could become a bloodbath — and there’s likely little individual candidates can do to avoid it."

---30---

Well, they say to measure political seasons in dog years, so a long time to November. Anything could happen. 

But this is interesting. My guess is the 1/6 committee will be terminated...then what? 

Is a Biden impeachment possible? 

Would a 'Phant Congress want to examine, or rather weaponize, the national security state? 

On 1/25/2022 at 5:01 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Ty,

C'mon, man... common ground?  With Trump supporters who have been chanting, "Let's go, Brandon!" (i.e., "F*** Joe Biden!") all year?  When did you guys finally start deploring profanity? It's not so much that I have anything against profanity, I work in the construction business and F bombs fly around all day. What I have a problem with is the hypocrisy of Biden to claim he is a great uniter and that he will fire anyone that is disrespectful towards others, and then proceeds to insult and be disrespectful towards Doocy. 

Common ground with guys who have been making death threats to U.S. election officials, refusing to acknowledge that Biden won the 2020 election, or that Trump incited a violent attack on the U.S. Congress to block the certification of Biden's election? I have not called for the deaths of anyone or refused to believe that Biden is president. I definitely think there were issues with fraud in the election, but fighting it is a losing cause. When I speak of common ground, I was thinking more about a discussion here. We are a community of people who share a common interest. Surely we could muster the courage to have a reasonable discussion of what we may be willing to compromise on to improve the current situation in our country.

What sort of "common ground" do you have in mind?  I'm all ears. From my conservative standpoint, I am willing to consider relaxing my views on a few things if you would be willing to make concessions on some of my main priorities.

My main concerns are gun rights, economic policy, education, and the healthcare system. I am not willing to make any compromise on gun rights, as I feel all gun laws are a violation of my natural rights. On economic, educational, and healthcare policy, I think we could work together to get to a point where we could actually improve the situation. Of course you and I discussing this won't make any real change, but it may be a worthwhile exercise.

What are several issues important to you that you feel two reasonable individuals could have a discussion on and perhaps find consensus?

As for Biden privately referring to the Fox News gadfly, Peter Doocy, as a "stupid son-of-a-bitch" (on an accidentally open mic) were you similarly outraged when Trump said, "Get that son-of-a-bitch off the field!" when he saw Civil Rights protester Colin Kaepernick kneeling on an NFL sideline?   Remember that comment? I have no problem with Kap protesting. I despise his method, but I guess he has the right to do so. My problem with him is that he is a communist or at least a misguided idiot who wears a Che shirt.

Which was the more egregious Presidential comment, in your opinion-- a POTUS privately cursing about a sleazy Fox News propagandist, or a POTUS public cursing about a conscientious Civil Rights protester? While I don't condone either of them, I would have to say I have a strong disdain for hypocrisy. 

Image tagged in covid-19 - Imgflip

14 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ty,

I asked you some questions yesterday, (above) in response to your comments about Biden and Peter Doocy. 

How about answering them?

In particular, can we find common ground-- for example, on basic issues like respecting the Constitution and the rule of law in the U.S.?  Acknowledging the fact that Biden was lawfully elected to the Presidency and that Trump conspired to obstruct the certification of the election?

Surely, reasonable people can agree about the fundamental importance of respect for the rule of law.

Also, which was the more egregious Presidential SOB gaffe, in your opinion-- Biden calling a disingenuous reporter a son-of-a-bitch, or Trump calling a conscientious Civil Rights protester a son-of-a-bitch?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

I didn't answer your questions yesterday for the reasons Dennis put forth in his post yesterday. While I hold the hope that we can have a reasonable discussion, it most likely is an exercise in futility.

Regarding the constitution, have you read Lysander Spooner's No Treason, specifically number 1?

If not, here is a link to it:

https://mises.org/library/no-treason-no-1

Here is a passage from No Treason which perfectly shows what has happened to us today:

"It is not improbable that many or most of the worst of governments — although established by force, and by a few, in the first place — come, in time, to be supported by a majority. But if they do, this majority is composed in large part of the most ignorant, superstitious, timid, dependent, servile, and corrupt portions of the people; of those who have been overawed by the power, intelligence, wealth, and arrogance; of those who have been deceived by the frauds; and of those who have been corrupted by the inducements of the few who really constitute the government."

The 59 Republicans Who Joined Electoral Voter Fraud Scheme For Trump Could Face Prison

What seemed like political theater at the time actually violated state and federal fraud laws, according to current and former prosecutors.

By  S.V. Date 01/27/2022

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fake-electors-prison-capitol-riot-2020-election_n_61f1c3e3e4b02de5f513fa73

“Georgia Republican Party Chairman David Shafer, though, said he and the other 15 Georgians who sent electoral votes for Trump did so only to make sure Trump could continue pushing a lawsuit alleging vote fraud.

“There’s been no credible suggestion that there’s anything wrong,” he told HuffPost. “We made it very clear what we were doing. We did it right out in the open.”

But Georgia’s would-be GOP electors chose not to include language clarifying that they would actually only be the “duly elected and qualified” electors in the event that a court challenge or other proceeding reversed the outcome there ― the approach taken by Trump slates in two other states.

According to Shafer, it was Trump’s lawyers in Georgia who told him and his group that any changes to the language they had provided would endanger Trump’s legal challenge in state court alleging fraud and other election “irregularities.”

“We were told not to alter the form,” he said, but pointed to an accompanying statement on Dec. 14, 2020, the date of the Electoral College vote, that explained that the GOP slate was being sent to Congress and the National Archives only to “preserve [Trump’s] rights under Georgia law.”

Glenn Kirschner, a former federal prosecutor, said the potential federal crimes include forgery, obstruction of an official proceeding, conspiracy to commit fraud and, because the material was sent to its recipients via the Postal Service, mail fraud.”

Stephen Miller dodges questions about his role in Trump’s fake electors scheme: report

by Bob Brigham January 27, 2022

https://www.rawstory.com/stephen-miller-dodges-questions-about-his-role-in-trumps-fake-electors-scheme-report/

“On Dec. 14, 2020, Stephen Miller suggested he was aware of the scheme during an appearance on Fox News.

“As we speak, an alternate slate of electors in the contested states is going to vote, and we are going to send those results to Congress,” Miller, then a senior White House advisor, told Fox News.”

“Miller's comments where controversial at the time they were made. That evening, his comments were ridiculed by The Daily Show host Trevor Noah.

"Damn, that's extreme man," Noah said. "I mean, why stop there? Why not just send those alternate electors to an alternate Congress and then have them upheld by an alternate Supreme Court and then he can become president of an alternate country."”

I wonder who the "We" is...

Steve Thomas