The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Joni Mitchell Pulls Music from Spotify in a Stand With Neil Young Against COVID Misinformation

Joni Mitchell joins Neil Young in protest over Joe Rogan Spotify podcast - The Washington Post

January 29, 2022

To me this is cancel culture. 

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

9 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

I saw a meme yesterday, it said Young was the first in cancel culture to cancel himself. I think you're right, and TBH I love Neil Young's music. It's very much like the kid at the park who picks up his football that everyone else is using and goes home, because he is not getting his own way. 

Though Neil Young wrote three of my favourite songs – “After the Blackstone Deal,” “Heart of Hipgnosis” and “What did you do to my potatoes?” –  the fact is that there is no hypocrite like an ageing Canadian hippy.

There is much profanity in what follows, and the expose is all the better for it:

https://youtu.be/dTn9cHGPmUw

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Paul,

To be honest, I know very little about Joe Rogan.  I did watch his recent interview of Oliver Stone, which was reasonably well done.   To his credit, Rogan had the decency to give Oliver Stone a voice.  And Rogan seems likeable.  He's no Dick Cavett, but at least he did some homework on JFK Revisited.

As for two of my favorite old hippies, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell, I'm sure that our right wing libertarian ideologues around here will agree that they have every right to refrain from doing business with a media corporation that has promoted COVID disinformation.  Right wing libertarians believe in "freedom" and individual rights, don't they? 🤥

The "cancel culture" that I am most concerned about in the U.S. right now is the right wing Republican censorship of the teaching of true American history in our schools.  It's like something out of N-A-Z-I Germany in the 1930s.  Only white nationalist mythology allowed!   Can't teach about the history of slavery, Jim Crow, our genocidal Manifest Destiny, and the confiscation of half of Mexico in the 19th century by jingoistic white slave owners.

Edited by W. Niederhut

3 hours ago, Paul Rigby said:

Though Neil Young wrote three of my favourite songs – “After the Blackstone Deal,” “Heart of Hipgnosis” and “What did you do to my potatoes?” –  the fact is that there is no hypocrite like an ageing Canadian hippy.

There is much profanity in what follows, and the expose is all the better for it:

Well, Jimmy Dore gets two things right in this moronic, inaccurate YouTube harangue.

1)  Neil Young is no intellectual, (duh) and

2)  Young made a deplorable, homophobic slur in 1985.  Shame on him for that.

But Neil Young is no hypocrite.  Just the opposite.  Has there ever been a more sincere, tactless, (and, at times, simple-minded) rocker in history?

Frankly, I'm not surprised that Young is being attacked now by the Fox News "Freedom fries" coalition for objecting to COVID disinformation at Spotify.

(Remember when the Fox News-watching Iraq War jingoists started attacking French fries in 2003, after Dominique de Villepin debunked the Bush/Cheney administration's WMD propaganda?)

There's more to this Neil Young/Spotify story than people realize.

Mark Sumner just published a good review of the subject.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1/29/2077459/-Spotify-s-policies-are-expressly-designed-to-encourage-deadly-disinformation-about-COVID-19

Edited by W. Niederhut

5 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

1280px-Intentional_Homicide_Rate_by_U.S.

"Detroit, Michigan, is among the U.S. cities with the highest homicide rates. There were a total of 328 murders reported in the city in 2020, or 49.7 for every 100,000 people — well above the national homicide rate of 6.5 murders per 100,000."

---30---

https://247wallst.com/city/detroit-mi-reported-one-of-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-us/

Matt--- I had an uncle doctor in Detroit. He made a comfortable living doctoring guys on union health plans. I visited Detroit many times. Life was good. 

In 1960 Detroit was the richest (per capita) big city in the US, which is to say the world. 

Sad to see what the leadership class has done to Detroit, and done to America. 

"In 1960, the richest per capita city in America, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, was Detroit. Today Detroit has filed for bankruptcy, the largest American city to do so." ---MIC, 2013

https://www.mic.com/articles/45563/detroit-bankrupt-to-see-detroit-s-decline-look-at-40-years-of-federal-policy#:~:text=In 1960%2C the richest per,American city to do so.

You know who let China into the WTO and got us the NAFTA deal?

President Clinton. 

It was about 25 years ago the Donks severed their ties with their historical base, and became globalist toadies. They have never looked back---indeed, having such worldly outlooks, they linked arms with the national-global security state. 

A sad story. 

6 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

The most ardent immigrationists in US history were...the slavers. 

Cesar Chavez wanted to limit immigration. 

The modern Donk Party wants open borders for trade and labor. 

I wish I was making this up. 

With all of the historic real news happening right now--Russia, the January 6th investigation, Voting Rights sabotage, Omicron deaths, cryptocurrency collapse, etc.-- I couldn't figure out why Ben was suddenly ranting about urban decay and crime in Detroit and liberal "Donk" cities.  Where is this coming from?

Here's the answer.  Ben has been watching Faux News.

After their "Patriot Purge" and anti-vax narratives became untenable, Rupert Murdoch's propagandists at Faux, apparently, needed a new bogus narrative to rile up their MAGA base...

Detroit.  Donks causing urban decay, crime, and poverty in black inner cities.

Fact-checking Fox News’ narrative on “America’s Crime Crisis”

The truth about rising crime is way more complicated than Fox makes it seem

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fact-checking-fox-news-narrative-americas-crime-crisis

January 28, 2022

Edited by W. Niederhut

9 hours ago, Paul Rigby said:

A little shoddy research here from Dore. First off , it's sounds pretty clever for Dore to say Young did it to "get some ass." Dore didn't know that Neil Young had been married to Darryl Hannah now for 4 years. Which is a bit unforgivable considering Dore's from LA , celeb town. But he mangled his dates. Young sold half his catalogue in Jan 2021. Then Blackrock purchased it in October 2021. Dore dramatically asks if Young is going to buy back his music to get it out of the hands of Blackrock?  That's sort of a phony emotional plea. Young has no more control over that than anyone who sells something to someone who eventually sells it to a third party. Though I'm sure there's a lot of education that these artists should be made aware of before their transactions to the corporate state.

Part of the omitted back story is that both Young and Joni Mitchell were polio victims, and vaccines saved their lives.

W. Re: Young I shouldn't have said "I brought the house down". I never dressed in a flannel shirt. Unfortunately you can't impersonate Neil, without it sounding like a parody.

As a lot of people , I loved Neil's first albums up to "Harvest", and a few selected albums/cuts since. He's always said he thought his first solo album was overproduced but I thought that was a real good album. I've seen him a couple of times solo, a couple of times with CSNY, and a couple of times in his Bridge series he's done every year in the Bay area as a charity for autism as he and Pegi had an autistic child. I've seen him sing with Paul Mc Cartney, Paul with Tony Bennet.

I've met him personally once, and I know  people  who use to run in his circles and some who used to work for him. Yes he's not that smart, and I'm not that crazy about him personally. 

I do have a positive story about Neil though. My mother was an artist who painted tile murals and fired them in a kiln. She'd paint murals for  churches and community centers.  My Father built a retirement home in the coastal Redwood mountains about 5 miles from Neil's ranch. One day Young and Peggy  (Pegi) did a neighborly stop by to their home to look at my Mother's art work and say hello. I'm sorry they never got a photo but they didn't really know who he was except to have casually heard about him as a neighbor.