The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

19 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

That is the obvious answer. But to put out this type of message leads me to believe more is afoot. Could he be planning to carry on further into other countries? I think the dude has lost his mind and needs to be "neutralized" immediately.

Indeed.  Mad Vlad has even engaged in nuclear sable rattling, and now this!

Russia Issues Ominous Warning to Finland, Sweden Should They Join NATO

www.newsweek.com/russia-threatens-finland-sweden-nato-ukraine-invasion-1682715

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

And, meanwhile, the Russian people, apparently, don't even know what's going on...

Edited by W. Niederhut

38 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Indeed.  Mad Vlad has even engaged in nuclear sable rattling, and now this!

Russia Issues Ominous Warning to Finland, Sweden Should They Join NATO

www.newsweek.com/russia-threatens-finland-sweden-nato-ukraine-invasion-1682715

Yup. NATO should hold a "snap election" immediately and admit Finland and Sweden as full members.

One other thing I don't understand is how Putin conceives it as some sort of threat to have a NATO country on his border. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't NATO members Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and Norway already border Russia?

Edited by Ty Carpenter

Trump took documents too highly classified to describe back home with him to Mar-A-Lago: report

byTravis Gettys February 25, 2022

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-2656793264/

“The House Oversight Committee wants additional information about the classified records Donald Trump took home with him from the White House.

Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-NY), the committee's chairwoman, asked the National Archives and Records Administration for a detailed description of the contents of 15 boxes recovered from Trump's Mar-A-Lago resort -- some of which are so top-secret they couldn't even be described without compromising their security, reported the Washington Post.

“'There are records that only a very few have clearances' to review, one of the people [familiar with the matter' told The Post. "The documents are so sensitive that they may not be able to describe them in an unclassified way, and therefore, such documents might be described broadly in a classified addendum to the inventory, according to the two people."

The Archives confirmed to the newspaper that classified materials were in those boxes and that torn-up records had been transferred to their custody but had not been reconstructed by the Trump White House.”

Steve Thomas

54 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Yup. NATO should hold a "snap election" immediately and admit Finland and Sweden as full members.

One other thing I don't understand is how Putin conceives it as some sort of threat to have a NATO country on his border. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't NATO members Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and Norway already border Russia?

Correct, except for Poland, which borders Belarus, Lithuania, and Ukraine.

I just realized that Norway does share a border with Russia's extreme northwest corner, north of Finland.

Meanwhile, Putin has, apparently, threatened to drop thermobaric bombs on Ukraine, if the Ukrainians don't surrender.

Edited by W. Niederhut

15 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Correct, except for Poland, which borders Belarus, Lithuania, and Ukraine.

I just realized that Norway does share a border with Russia's extreme northwest corner, north of Finland.

Meanwhile, Putin has, apparently, threatened to drop thermobaric bombs on Ukraine, if the Ukrainians don't surrender.

W, check your map again. The Kaliningrad Oblast is right on Polands border. While not connected to mainland Russia, it is a part of the Russian Federation.

18 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

W, check your map again. The Kaliningrad Oblast is right on Polands border. While not connected to mainland Russia, it is a part of the Russian Federation.

Hmmm... I learn something new every day on this forum.  Kaliningrad (aka Konigsburg) is the Russia Federation's only ice free port on the Baltic-- annexed by the USSR at the end of WWII, and retained as RF territory after the dissolution of the USSR.

The old Prussian port was renamed for the Bolshevik Politburo member and, unlike Leningrad and Stalingrad, has retained its 20th century Bolshevik moniker.

I probably agree with most of the sentiments expressed herein.

But keep in mind "wartime footing" is often used to stifle dissent and demonize domestic political opponents. 

And frankly, the US is not prepared to hit Putin where it hurts: His fossil fuel exports. Even aluminum has been left alone. 

Probably the bars in DC are making a point of not serving Russian vodka. 

So we have this discordant reality: Putin is Hitler...but we finance him.

The same situation, but in spades, applies to Xi-CCP-Beijing. 

I hope Putin gets a badly bloodied nose in Ukraine and goes home, and yes I wish he would leave the public sphere yesterday. 

Talk about missing the point.

Look, I am no Russophile, but just ask yourself how Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia  got into NATO. Norway is not known for its aggression.  But Ukraine is, just ask the people in Donbas who turned away two invasions.

You might also want to check as to when the NATO external offensive operations started increasing in frequency and force.

Biden could have prevented all this.  What Putin was asking for was not at all unreasonable.  I mean during the Missile Crisis, Kennedy granted two demands by the Russians: a no invasion pledge for Cuba, and removal of the Turkish missiles.

But what people forget is that it was Biden who was Obama's man on the original Ukraine coup back in 2014. He essentially gave that neocon nut Nuland a free hand in sanctioning all those  Banderaeque groups like Right Sektor.  And covering up all those shootings and terrorist acts during the Maidan uprising.  And then she herself picked the new president during an illegal proceeding. There was no quorum. 

Very disappointed in Biden over this.  He has not been statesman like at all.  But it really goes back to the real disappointment which was Obama.  Ted Kennedy made a big mistake.

Edited by James DiEugenio

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Talk about missing the point.

Look, I am no Russophile, but just ask yourself how Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia  got into NATO. Norway is not known for its aggression.  But Ukraine is, just ask the people in Donbas who turned away two invasions.

You might also want to check as to when the NATO external offensive operations started increasing in frequency and force.

Biden could have prevented all this.  What Putin was asking for was not at all unreasonable.  I mean during the Missile Crisis, Kennedy granted two demands by the Russians: a no invasion pledge for Cuba, and removal of the Turkish missiles.

But what people forget is that it was Biden who was Obama's man on the original Ukraine coup back in 2014. He essentially gave that neocon nut Nuland a free hand in sanctioning all those  Banderaeque groups like Right Sektor.  And covering up all those shootings and terrorist acts during the Maidan uprising.  And then she herself picked the new president during an illegal proceeding. There was no quorum. 

Very disappointed in Biden over this.  He has not been statesman like at all.  But it really goes back to the real disappointment which was Obama.  Ted Kennedy made a big mistake.

I think the points that James D. raises here are valid. I may disagree on some.

Remember, right after 9/11 the public conversation became very controlled, with bad results.  We should give extra air time to alternative views. 

I cannot accept what Putin has done.

But then Ukraine is on Putin's doorstep, and has been a part of Russia. Just like Iran has a legitimate concern what happens in Iraq. 

Biden and his son were mucking around in Ukraine, replacing heads of state, re-arranging top prosecutors (including replacing a prosector who was prosecuting the company Hunter Biden worked for). Biden turned his role in Ukraine into a bonanza for his family (well, easy come easy go, but it was a huge chunk of money Hunter got).

Ironically, Putin has probably managed to alienate the Ukraine people for another two generations.  No one likes being bombed (a lesson the US has had to re-learn in decadal intervals). 

The US should avoid foreign entanglements. Remember, if the US gets entangled anywhere on the globe, the people controlling our role and engagement are embedded into the US national security state, or have global commercial interests. 

Guess how that turns out. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

In 1998, George Kennan, architect of the Cold War 'containment' policy, was asked about NATO expansion. He said: “I think it is the beginning of a new cold war... I think it is a tragic mistake... Of course, there is going to be a bad reaction from Russia.”