The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

Yes, Steve, well said. Quite apart from which oil producer is scum and which might not be, reliance on fossil fuel is driving the sixth greatest extinction of life on the planet. Non-human life. Renewables are already cheaper. It's down to political will.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, George Govus said:

reliance on fossil fuel is driving the sixth greatest extinction of life on the planet.

George,

I live in a part of the country that has a lot of coal strip mines.

It poisons everything it touches. It poisons the land, it poisons the water, it poisons the air. 

It poisons the workers who produce it and the people who breathe it.

There's nothing "beautiful" about it.

Steve Thomas

Wind chills to -20?  Lows in the teens, not up to freezing during the day.  In an unheated tank/truck/armored vehicle?  No way to even melt ice for water.  Even with multiple blankets or a sleeping bag this sounds potentially suicidal.

Ukraine Cold Snap Set To Freeze Russian Convoy, Could See Soldiers Quit (msn.com)

kiev ukraine weather forecast - Search (bing.com)

3 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

George,

I live in a part of the country that has a lot of coal strip mines.

It poisons everything it touches. It poisons the land, it poisons the water, it poisons the air. 

It poisons the workers who produce it and the people who breathe it.

There's nothing "beautiful" about it.

Steve Thomas

Yet I read yesterday about Manchin kind of salivating so to speak over less oil potentially meaning a greater need for coal.

I grew up in Los Angeles when it was a poison gas chamber, made from lead-infused gasoline.  

The solid-state battery may be the savior.  I advise everything possible be done to make a self-sufficient domestic EV industry. 

Every EV will make America stronger, and every job in America makes the social fabric stronger. 

The last sentence here makes the most sense to me.  He should find a bunker or cave in western Ukraine for the time being.  Lead by living from there for a bit.  Maybe re appear near the front at different points every few days, though much travel could be dangerous as well.

Zelensky is not Churchill. He's a more unlikely hero. (msn.com)

Totally agree, Ron.

Zelensky is now a hero and a legend; martyrdom would be extremely unproductive and a step backward. There is no need for him to continue to demonstrate his capacity for bravery; it is much more preferable for him to display intelligence, and staying alive and being a thorn in Putin's side is #1 on the list of ways of doing that.

Steve, George, W. Ben , I'm in complete agreement. They told us about this day 50 years ago. If we had put half the effort back then toward battery technology  that we've put in the last 15 years, we would at least had this taken care of this by the turn of the century. I hate to think about how late we are. I think this could be the tipping point.

Al Gore always struck me as kind of slow and deliberate in his speech. I thought he didn't have a lot on the ball, but he was a really sharp guy. I was trying to find a clip of him warning a Senate Subcommittee about the dangers of climate change in 1986. After wading through a bunch of old parodies from climate change deniers, I found this interview from 1992.

I remember Jim Di said Gore was skeptical of the Warren Report. What other Presidential nominee can you say that about?

In 2000, I ended up making a protest vote for Ralph Nader, and then GW won, then 911, then the war in Afghanistan and his own war in  Iraq!  In retrospect, even apart from almost 20 years of war, can you imagine a greater environmental crossroads between 2 candidates? Looking back at it, what a dumb time for a protest vote!

He's asked about Clinton's prospects in the upcoming 92 election. Then later Clinton picks him as VP!

Steve, that story amazed me too. What possible reason does Mark Edwards have to have that shack as his voting address?

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

What????So you think Biden should establish a no fly zone in Ukraine? And you don't think that's going to expand the conflict?

2 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Yeah, I like the no-fly zone. Might save lives.  We are being very brave with Ukrainian lives. Advising them to fight. 

There's no need to "advise" Ukrainians to fight.  The US is as suprised as everybody else at the Ukrainian will to fight.  In my opinion the peace that may eventually come from non-escalation is far, far greater than anything that would be possible with direct confrontation.  Either way, it comes with a very high cost.