The Education Forum

Oliver Stone: His Book and New JFK film

Stone has been prevented from making feature films about Poppy Bush & Noriega, the My Lai

Massacre, the MLK assassination, and other subjects (the film industry blames

the commercial failure of NIXON, a great film, but each of those failed

projects has a different story behind it), so he has turned to making

insightful documentaries. (He was allowed to make a 9/11 film, but

it was an "apolitical" story, a conventional adventure drama about two guys trapped under rubble and being rescued. The one subversive true reference

was missed by most people, a shout about explosions going off in the basement.)

Edited by Joseph McBride

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Joseph McBride said:

Stone has been prevented from making feature films about Poppy Bush & Noriega, the My Lai

Massacre, the MLK assassination, and other subjects (the film industry blames

the commercial failure of NIXON, a great film, but each of those failed

projects has a different story behind it), so he has turned to making

insightful documentaries. (He was allowed to make a 9/11 film, but

it was an "apolitical" story, a conventional adventure drama about two guys trapped under rubble and being rescued. The one subversive true reference

was missed by most people, a shout about explosions going off in the basement.)

Yeah. It's not easy to mount a $100 million+ movie that has political aspirations/undertones and never has been. If it doesn't have the usual flag waving BS doubly so. It's a very heavy lift and Stone isn't known and maybe isn't very good at intimate stories that illuminate grander ideas. Sometimes documentaries are a better canvas for those stories or even a book.

Not criticizing Stone but sometimes I get tired of Hollywood types who've made fortunes there wearing a veil of tears over the injustice of not getting their pet projects made on somebody else's dime.

Untold History, and South of the Border were both good, the former was a mini series, the latter a documentary.

Edited by James DiEugenio

I just knew something nasty about the JFK movie or Oliver Stone would be written soon after reading Stone's compelling description of his (and Jim's) documentary in the NYT article. (Though I didn't expect to see it in a British rag.)

Why Oliver Stone's JFK is the greatest lie Hollywood ever told

Edited by Sandy Larsen

3 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I just knew something nasty about the JFK movie or Oliver Stone would be written soon after reading Stone's compelling description of his (and Jim's) documentary in the NYT article. (Though I didn't expect to see it in a British rag.)

Why Oliver Stone's JFK is the greatest lie Hollywood ever told

Good thing that only subscribers can read it. But the title alone is bad enough.

I was able to open the article by doing two things. (I don't know if you actually have to do both these things. But doing both works.)

First, right-click the link and select "Open Link in New Private Window."

Then watch the size of the scroll bar to gauge how much of the page has loaded. A very large scroll bar means very little has loaded so far. A small scroll bar indicates a lot has loaded. (The scroll bar is small so that you can scroll thorough the whole article.) Click the Stop Loading icon, usually a red X next to the web address field. This will stop further action. If you don't stop it in time, the page may begin to be covered up because you're not a subscriber.

Nobody should read  this piece of utter rubbish.

1 minute ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I was able to open the article by doing two things. (I don't know if you actually have to do both these things. But doing both works.)

First, right-click the link and select "Open Link in New Private Window."

Then watch the size of the scroll bar to gauge how much of the page has loaded. A very large scroll bar means very little has loaded so far. A small scroll bar indicates a lot has loaded. (The scroll bar is small so that you can scroll thorough the whole article.) Click the Stop Loading icon, usually a red X next to the web address field. This will stop further action. If you don't stop it in time, the page may begin to be covered up because you're not a subscriber.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-oliver-stone-jfk-greatest-094033716.html

This is so bad in so many respects.  Did Oliver Stone already stir up the hornet's nest all the way across the pond?

A guy named Kent Drinkwater supposedly has an opened mind, and informed the author that other unlikely conspiracies have turned out to be true. He is quoted as follows:

"But as Ken Drinkwater points out, conspiracies have been proven in the past, such as the MK Ultra mind-control tests; or Kennedy signing off an attempted assassination of Field Castro, which is now widely known."

Is it really true that Kennedy signed off on a plan to kill Castro? I thought that was Eisenhower's gig.

Kennedy never did any such thing.  And the CIA acknowledged this in the IG Report declassified by the ARRB in 1995.  And they note this at least three times in that report.

They also tried to get their assets to get Kennedy to do this.  LIke George Smathers.  Kennedy would not hear of it and he actually smashed a plate on the table trying to get Smathers to stop it.

Edited by James DiEugenio

9 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Is it really true that Kennedy signed off on a plan to kill Castro? I thought that was Eisenhower's gig.

4 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Kennedy never did any such thing.  And the CIA acknowledged this in the IG Report declassified by the ARRB in 1995.  And they note this at least three times in that report.

So the author includes the one fact, MKUltra, for the purpose of making his piece look fair, but then uses that to create a big whopper. The whole thing is cherry-picked and very dishonest.

This is not just some anti-conspiracy guy letting off steam IMO. I think he's been paid to make this disinfo hit piece.

The thing is that it follows so closely on the Stone interview, that its almost like they,  and he, knew if was coming.

I mean you could not have contacted that many people in just two days, considering the prep time to post it.

It pisses me off that people will write such crap and try to pass it off as true history.  Because, the majority of people know little to nothing about the JFK Assassination, and, if they come across it and pause to read it, many will believe as Gospel.  

The writers are not just ignorant, they know they are lying.  

51 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

The thing is that it follows so closely on the Stone interview, that its almost like they,  and he, knew if was coming.

I mean you could not have contacted that many people in just two days, considering the prep time to post it.

Could be that certain people monitor this website. They would have known for some time now about the documentary and just figured it could get publicity at any time.