The Education Forum

H&L - Stripling

This thread will be continually updated as more info comes in. Updates will be displayed in this Original Post below the picture.

This thread will be based on the existing H&L information that Rufie Cox resided in Apartment "A" 2220 Thomas Place in the years 1954 & 1955 is correct. In other words, the rental ads refer to Apartment "B"

H&L have the Marguerite Imposter and Harvey Oswald living in Apartment "B" for the months of September to December 1954

If the ad below refers to Unit B 2220 Thomas Place, it was empty

2220 thomas place september 30 ad fort worth marguerite oswald stripling.png

Update #1

In May 1954, Apartment "B" was occupied by Jessie Mae Scarbrough (born Hoggard) b.1914 - d.1998. She had divorced her husband Leo Jackson Scarbrough in 1947.

On September 8th, 1954, a refrigerator for sale ad at 2220 Thomas Place was placed in the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

On September 14th 1954, a week later, rental ads first started appearing in the same paper like the one in the above picture.

Prior to 1954, rental ads show up for the same apartment in October 1952, nothing can be found so far between these dates.

Update #2

There is a time span between the 2220 Thomas Place rental ads from September 1954, to June 1955 when they next appeared.

Who was the tenant residing in Apartment “B” during this time?

As mentioned in the H&L book, and who’s name can be seen in the above picture, W. A. Hazelwood occupied Apartment “B” as listed in the Fort Worth City Directory.

The City Directories back then compiled their information in the very late months of the year and the very early months of the following year. That information was then typeset, printed, bound and finally distributed to subscribers around April/May. An example would be the Dallas City Directory of 1963, which was distributed in May. The period between compiling and distributing was a very lengthy process of many months.

In order for W. A. Hazelwood to appear in the 1955 Directory, this person had to be in Apartment “B” either in the very late months of 1954 or the very early months of 1955, or both.

We can safely say that W. A. Hazelwood was an occupier of Apartment “B” somewhere between September 1954, and June 1955.

It appears the occupiers of Apartment “B” were William Almonte Hazlewood and his wife Sybil Estrange Newman Hazlewood. Note the subtle difference in the spelling of “Hazlewood” with the Fort Worth Directory “Hazelwood”, the letters “L” and “E” are reversed. A common spelling error and in fact, the gravestones of William Almonte Hazlewood and his son Gordon differ in the spelling of that name.

William Almonte Hazlewood was born in 1890 and died in 1961. There is a patent attributed to him in 1923 for the piston of an internal combustion engine. William shared the patent with a good friend of his, Jess H White Sr b.1896 d.1959. Both men are mentioned in the patent as William A. Hazlewood of Fort Worth and Jess H White of Fort Worth.

Jess H White lived at 4533 Pershing Avenue Fort Worth before he died in 1959, just around the corner from where his friend William A Hazlewood lived at 2220 Thomas Place.

William Almonte Hazlewood also lived at 4009 Lafayette Avenue, a block or so north of the Stripling School.

It’s beginning to appear that William A Hazlewood responded to the Fort Worth Star Telegram rental ads in the latter half of the 1954 year.

Update #3

As mentioned in the H&L book, Edna Pendleton owned 2220 Thomas Place, and it is claimed by H&L that the Marguerite Imposter lived there in 1954.

Officially, she did in fact live there at the time of the assassination in 1963.

Later after the assassination, on the very day Marguerite Oswald vacated 2220 Thomas Place, the family of Edna Pendleton contacted the FBI to inform them of her movements.

This action shows a willingness to pass on information regarding Marguerite Oswald.

Update #4

Looks like Pendleton dropped the rent

I believe we can now paint a picture;

The occupier of Apartment "B" moves out early Sept 54, rental ads appear for 2 weeks at $45, new rental ads run through to Nov 54 reformatted with Arlington Heights inserted, the rent dropped $5 and Thomas Place to Thomas Pl. The elderly Hazlewoods, taking advantage of the reduced rent, move in mid-Nov 54.

dropped rent 2220 thomas.png

Edited by Tony Krome

1 hour ago, Tony Krome said:

If the ad below refers to Unit B 2220 Thomas Place, it was empty

2220 thomas place september 30 ad fort worth marguerite oswald stripling.png

Tony,

Be careful... a place put up for rent doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't currently occupied. It means that it will be available (unoccupied) on a date specified by a new rental agreement.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:02 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

a place put up for rent doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't currently occupied. It means that it will be available (unoccupied) on a date specified by a new rental agreement.

The last time the apartment was advertised was in October 1952 as far as I can see.

These latest ads ran from the middle of September, 1954

In the first week of September 1954, tenants at the same address advertised their fridge for sale, so one may assume they were the people currently residing at the address and intending to move out.

The existing residents had to be there in early September in order for buyers to view the fridge for sale at the advertised address.

Then the rental ad appears a week later which makes sense, as residents may have sold their fridge and moved out.

The problem is that the rental ad ran for the remainder of September indicating that they were seeking to fill the apartment.

As you said, it doesn't necessarily mean, but it sure looks like it

Edited by Tony Krome

Excellent work Tony!

Update #1

In May 1954, Apartment "B" was occupied by Jessie Mae Scarbrough (born Hoggard) b.1914 - d.1998. She had divorced her husband Leo Jackson Scarbrough in 1947.

Do you know when Jessie Mae moved in?

Edited by Sandy Larsen

30 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Do you know when Jessie Mae moved in?

I've moved on from Jessie Mae, but I can take another look.

I just added a line to Update #2, looks like William Almonte Hazlewood is the right guy, he and his wife at another time lived a block north of the Stripling School, so they like the immediate area.

Tony... in 1947 marge’s neighbors at 101 San Saba are Georgia Bell and Lucille Hubbard, if I remember correctly. 

Bell and Hubbard talk of the time Hubbard drove Marge to 2220 Thomas to pick up some things for the San Saba house.

This would be between July 1947 and Dec 1947....  when the newly divorced Marge Ekdahl Oswald was at 1505 8th street.

How is that reconciled in your research Tony?   Great job btw...  thanks for the deeper dive into 2220 Thomas...  u are aware that FBI SA Fain lived nearby at 1721 Thomas?

Here is the purchase history for 101 San Saba and a photo of Lee and dog when they visited That house in ‘49.

The car in this photo is not the same as the one in the Ekdahl marriage photo...

Finally to bing it full circle, below we see that Korth  (Who is related to 2220 Thomas by 1 degree of separation) and Ekdahl
stayed involved with each other buying land in and around Ft. Worth....  Korth represented Ekdahl in the divorce... As well was his Trustee in death...

On 7/30/2020 at 3:32 PM, Tony Krome said:

Later after the assassination, on the very day Marguerite Oswald vacated 2220 Thomas Place, the family of Edna Pendleton contacted the FBI to inform them of her movements.

A Mrs. Mary McCarthy Jr. owned Thomas at the time of the assassination,  a close Fried of Korth.

1210981442_101SanSabaDeedCard-OCarletonbuysfromMEkdahl.jpg.0c336169e5d6162c03825cb5f6471668.jpg404106548_Blackiethedogatsansaba-Picwrites1949-web.thumb.jpg.d305e1bd90efcbff251c97675c9d8eef.jpg

483439816_FredKorth-TrusteeforEdwinEkdahl-smaller.jpg.5cb6afac054e77ff118418633096a4ac.jpg

664351628_Lee-Blackieand101SanSabaPICEXH54.jpg.ce8ca9440cdc33a33a77f8d5a2062ac8.jpg

Appreciated Tony... was just offering some background on 2220 Thomas and how one Oswald family is at one location while the real family is on 8th street... 

That Marge would go there in 1947 creates some thread and connection to 1954...   how did her belongings get there in the first place?

When up to March of 1948 when they divorce... she is living at 3300 Willing.  In August 1947 John and Robert are home from Chamberlain with PIC working at an Ice Cream parlor at 1905 8th Ave.

There are 2 families leading separate lives as early as July 1947....  with 2220 Thomas squarely in the picture...  by 1954, September thru early Nov... if the plan was indeed to create a doppelganger to infiltrate USSR to gain much needed intel, there SHOULD be little to no evidence remaining that would put them there beside the faded memories of eye witnesses, and the ongoing strange events tied to that address...

DJ

edit:  but if it's out there seems you'll find it...  again.. well done  :cheers

Edited by David Josephs

Thanks for bringing your considerable knowledge to the table, David.

I only know what I read in Armstrong's book. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that Mrs. Hubbard knew only that the house was next to Stripling. She didn't say what the address was.

A couple of students pointed out the house Harvey lived at. But by this time decades had passed and the original house was long gone.

It seems to me that Harvey might have really lived at another, nearby house and the students' memories had been influenced by their seeing where "Marguerite" was living when the assassination made big news. In other words, maybe they assumed that Marguerite had lived at that address the whole time (1954 thru 1963), or was in some other way connected to it and would live there sometimes.

But I see what you're thinking.... it could be that 2220 Thomas Place was perhaps a CIA safe house and that records were created (using real peoples' name) to hide that fact.

Regardless, these details do not sway my position on the Stripling issue. I find Kudlaty's statements and the corroborating evidence to be very convincing.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

43 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Regardless, these details do not sway my position on the Stripling issue. I find Kudlaty's statements and the corroborating evidence to be very convincing.

As do I....   

49 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that Mrs. Hubbard knew only that the house was next to Stripling. She didn't say what the address was.

The address of 2220 Thomas Place, behind Stripling Junior High, caused me
to remember my interview with Georgia Bell. In the fall of 1947 Georgia's neighbor,
Lucille Hubbard, drove the short, dumpy, heavy-set Marguerite to a house to pick up
some clothes after she got a job as a nurse.
The house, according to Mrs. Hubbard, "was
next to the Stripling School."

Officially, Marge did not live at 2220 Thomas until 1963.  The BIRCHMAN address discussed below is not next to the school..but a 5 min drive down the road.

But 4029 BYERS is right across from STRIPLING - Marge does not show up on Deed until 1965 having bought from M/M Jones.
Given she was not on deed at Thomas as a renter, technically it could have been either house...

I need to know more about the history of the BYERS street address... it appears that Marge is there for the next 10 years.

Mention on more thing about the BIRCHMAN address...   All thru 1951 the Oswald's lived at 7408 Ewing as shown in CE1963

No mention of BIRCHMAN 1951...  yet the evidence is right there... even to the point where she sells BIRCHMAN in May 1951 to a "Robt E POWELL"
Yet none of the deeds have Marge's signature on them... not one related to this house... and IDA had only bought the house in May, to turn around and sell in Nov.

Wonder why they neglected to include BIRCHMAN....??

As for Byers being the only option other than Thomas... I'll dig into Byers today.

DJ

img_1139_831_300.png

On November 1, Marguerite transferred the title to 101 San Saba, the Benbrook
property, to Otis R. Carleton for $2750, and apparently lost $1200 on the sale (she paid
$3950).
Two weeks later, on November 15, Marguerite purchased a small house (only
664 sq. ft) at 4833 Birchman from Ida M. Bunting that was 6 blocks southwest of W. C.
Stripling Junior High
. The purchase price is not listed in Tarrant County land records,
but the deed stated that Marguerite Oswald assumed two mortgages-one in the original
amount of$3500 (dated May 7, 1951) and one in the original amount of$690. This
($4190) was a tremendous amount of money to pay for a 664 square foot house in 1951 and
makes little sense.

After recording, the deed to the property was mailed to Marguerite at
4833 Birchman,
an address at which she supposedly never lived.

1831357649_4833BIRCHMANpurchased11-15-51afterselling101SanSabatoORCarleton11-6-51.jpg.f0f15dbf7a85edcc4e5cd155b645b9ca.jpg

3 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

It seems to me that Harvey might have really lived at another, nearby house

Tony... this has to do with the other house next to Stripling where Marge lived at some point...  if she was at 2220 Thomas on 11/22/63... it was not long until she is moved to the other side of Stripling... 4029 Byers... and was there for at least 10 years.

So as you say Sandy... "NEXT TO STRIPLING" could only mean 1 of 2 places.... yet I am still tracking down earlier records... at that time Ft Worth was subdividing and building like crazy... (the reason Ekdahl came down for Ebasco - FWIW) yet these transactions in April 1965 appear to all happen at the same time which is the case with a lot of the real estate evidence related to Harvey's "mom".

The search is on the name Marge C OSWALD...  The Jones' sold their house to RANCHERO HOMES who in turn sells to Marge in '65 with a correction to the property name from Queensborough Heights to just Queensborough.  These are the only 2 records I have found for that specific lot in that specific block.

https://tcrecordsonline.com/?linklocation=supermenu&linkname=Real Estate Search#everything

D166031794  WARRANTY DEED 4/28/1966 2 RANCHERO HOMES INC OSWALD MARGUERITE C

D166031793  WARRANTY DEED 4/28/1966 2 JONES HENRY N RANCHERO HOMES INC
Edited by David Josephs