The Education Forum

Anomalous witness statements in Dealey Plaza

John Butler

Listed below are witnesses who said something different than the official story.  The last category is just a sample of the witnesses who said something about the intersection of Elm and Houston streets and in front of the TSBD.  See the larger list for more. (100+ witnesses)

Witnesses who saw or heard shooting on Main Street

1.     Alan Smith- Chicago Tribune article 11 23 63- He claimed he saw the shooting of the President close up at 10 feet away from the shooting on Main Street.

2.     Rose Clark- FBI Report- 1 10 64- She was with Jeanette Hooker and Lillian Mooneyham.  They were in Judge Henry King’s court room when the motorcade came down Main Street.  She heard 3 shots.  To see the parade come down Main Street King’s court room must be on the south side.  There is a confusion on which court room faces south and where one an watch the parade come down Main Street. 

3.     Jeanette E. Hooker- 1-8-64- estimated that the presidential limousine was almost to the R L Thornton sign when she heard 3 shots.  Almost to the R L Thornton sign means in front of the SW corner of the TSBD

4.     Lilian Mooneyham- FBI Report 1 10 64- Mooneyham’s location was confused by either a confused FBI agent or her location was obscured intentionally.  Rose Clark said you could see Main Street from Judge King’s court. She said she was with Hooker and Mooneyham.  While watching the parade on Main St. she heard 3 shots.  At least Jeanette Hooker’s statement said she watched the parade on Main Street before going to another court room.  It is more than likely Clark, Hooker, and Mooneyham were in the same courtroom and heard the same thing while the motorcade was on Main Street.

5.     Cecil Ault- 11-22-63 FBI report- Watched the parade on Main Street from Judge King’s Court.  Then he saw this from Judge King’s room, after the president’s car turned down onto Elm Street he heard 3 loud reports which he immediately recognize as shots from a high powered rifle.  The intersection or in front of the TSBD.  Judge King’s court room faces south on Main and one cannot see Houston or Elm.  You have to move to a room on the west side to see that.

Main and Houston Intersection:

1.     Jack Faulkner- Sheriff’s Office 11 22 63- He said he was on the corner of Main and Houston.  The motorcade passed and a few seconds later he heard 3 shots.  Depending on how many seconds this is probably Houston Street or at least in front of the TSBD.  Shooting on Houston Street or at the intersection of Elm and Houston.

2.     Marie Muchmore- FBI 12 4 63- was standing on the corner of Houston when the motorcade passed by she heard the first shot.

3.     Bonnie Ray Williams- Sheriff’s Office on 11-22-63- first said he heard shot when the presidential limo turned onto Houston.  Later, he changed that to a turn onto Elm St. and then later changed that.

4.     John J. Solon- FBI report 1 8 64.  He said he was standing in front of the Old Court House at the intersection of Main and Houston.  He said the p. limo slowed down to turn unto Houston street and “and a few moments later, he heard 3 shots…”.  How long is a few moments?

5.     W. H. Denham- DPD statement 11 22 63-  Officer Denhan was at the Northeast corner of the intersection of Main and Houston when the motorcade turned onto Houston Street.  The p. limo or motorcade was half way past his position when he heard a shot. Shooting occurs in the intersection of Main and Houston.

6.     William Downey- FBI 6 15 64- Downey said he stood at the corner of Houston and Main.  Shortly thereafter the motorcade passed the corner where he stood he heard 3 shots.  How long is shortly thereafter?  At 18 feet per second it takes approximately 11 seconds to traverse Houston Street and another 5 or 6 seconds to pass the TSBD.

Elm Street and the intersection of Elm and Houston:

1.     Garland Slack- Dallas Sheriff 11 22 63- I was standing on Houston Street, just below the window to Sheriff Decker's office waiting for the parade. I was standing there when the President's car passed and just after they rounded the corner from Houston onto Elm Street, I heard a report and I knew at once it was a high-powered rifle shot.

2.     Carolyn Walther- The Warren Report Part 1 CBS Television (25th June, 1967)- The President passed us, and he was smiling, and everybody was waving. Then the last of the cars went by, and I heard the shot. I thought it was a firecracker.  This more than likely is in front of the TSBD.  Carolyn Walther’s statements are included here due to Pearl Springer’s testimony.

3.     Pearl Springer- FBI Report 12 5 63- She was on Houston Street 17 steps from the Elm Street curb.  She was with Carolyn Walther.  As the motorcade passed and turned to go down Elm Street she heard a shot.

4.     Arnold Rowland-Sheriff Office statement- 11-22-63- said as the presidential limousine turned west to head down Elm Street he heard a back fire.

5.     Danny Arce- 3-18-64 FBI statement- He said he was standing on the grass in front of the TSBD about 30 ft. from where the president was when shots rang out.  He said something different in his in his 11-22-63 statement.  He was standing on a corner across the street from 411 Elm Street.  He said in a 11-22-63 statement at the Sheriff’s Office he was standing on the corner of Elm and Houston.  He heard 3 shots ring out.  He was standing near the Dal-Tex on Houston- Altgens 6 photo.

6.     Bonnie Ray Williams- Sheriff’s Office on 11-22-63- first said he heard shot when the presidential limo turned onto Houston.  Later, he changed that to a turn onto Elm St. and then later changed that.

7.     James Crawford- Warren Commission Hearing 4 1 64-  - It was after the Secret Service Sedan had gone around the corner (the SS vehicle was on the bumper of the p. limo) that I heard the first report and at that time I thought it was a backfire of a car but, in analyzing the situation, it could not have been a backfire of a car because it would have had to have been the President's car or some car in the cavalcade there. The second shot followed some seconds, a little time elapsed after the first one, and followed very quickly by the third one.

8.     Mary Ann Mitchell- FBI report January 18, 1964, WC deposition April 1, 1964. said she and her companion heard a shot as the presidential car passed the curb in front of the TSBD.

9.     Malcolm Couch gave an eyewitness report on WFAA radio on the day of the assassination:  "Just as the President's car turned the corner, I heard a loud shot that sounded like at first a backfire.  And then I heard another one.  And then finally a third shot.  We naturally took this third shot as a rifle shot because we figured by the third shot that this was not a backfire, that it was not a motorcycle backfiring, but it was actually someone taking a crack at the President.  Just as our car rounded the corner we saw the President's car speed off."

10. Robert Jackson- Sheriff’s Office 11 23 66- His vehicle was proceeding north on Houston street when “…and the presidential car had already turned left on Elm Street (off Houston Street) and he heard 3 loud reports…”

11. And, many more saying the same thing about the intersection and front of the TSBD.  See the longer list for more. (100+ witnesses)

Witnesses Who Heard Shooting When The President Was Turning Into the Intersection Or In Front Of The TSBD (best list).docx

Witnesses Who Heard Shooting When The President Was Turning Into the Intersection Or In Front Of The TSBD (best list).pdf

Edited by John Butler
grammar