The Education Forum

Anna Marie Kuhns Walko

Back in the 1990s I recall seeing on JFK Lancer a product listed as "Anna Marie Kuhns-Walko Collection" (or something similar) and this consisted of documents. 

JFK Lancer doesn't have this any longer.

On Black Op Radio episode #826, Jim DiEugenio mentions that this collection was also offered for sale in the pages of PROBE magazine.

I'm interested in this collection of documents and wonder if anyone out there knows where I might be able to find this today, or if anyone has a copy of this collection.

Here is a copy of one of the products that was on JFK Lancer in 1999 which may or may not be what I am looking for.

image.thumb.png.b762d90e8eeff06edbb0cfb1ea90d8a9.png

Specifically what I am interested in is a photograph that Jim talked about on Black Op Radio #821. This was said to be a photograph taken by someone in Dealey Plaza which was found located in a declassified file or at the National Archives, and this photograph is supposed to show a man running down the embankment (from Gnoll Area)

Jim said on BOR that this was a photograph of a man who looked identical to Lee Harvey Oswald, and is supposed to be a photo of him running down the embankment.

The suggestion that Jim made on BOR was that this is a photo of the same man that Roger Craig said he saw run down the embankment and get into a Nash Rambler station wagon and that Anna Marie had found it. 

I find the idea that a photograph was in a classified file, or otherwise was found in the archives, to be curious and interesting given most documents aren't photos and if a photo was in a file there might be a good reason for it to be there. 

Of course it is also interesting because it is supposed to depict Oswald which would of course be of interest to most of us. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No documents should be "sold". We have too many paper silos that are inaccessible to researchers. Everyone should scan their docs and make them publicly available. There may researchers focusing on  issues that an "owned " document might be relevant that the owner might not realize.

These docs have no inherent value. They aren't like an autographed baseball or a letter written by a president. They should be part of the " commons"

I worked in person with Anna Marie's collection for a good while in the 90's, and I actually have that photograph you refer to...it shows a man resembling Oswald going down the East side of the knoll, however he appears to be walking close to or with another man.  I had it blown up to the extent I could at that time but it certainly was not clear enough for me to say more than the individual did resemble Oswald.

Anna Marie had wanted to donate her collection to a local university in Wichita Falls but that may have proved impossible; I do have an old number and can call her...have not talked to her for some years now.  As far as her document collection goes (you can tell what she personally collected as she marked everything with AMKW), the vast majority it if was documents from NARA available as of the eighties and nineties, including some special requests she did for Noel Twyman when she was working on his book.  That sort of material would largely be on MFF now.  Beyond that she also had a considerable collection of JFK memorabilia.

I'll call and ask about her collection if I can reach her.

30 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

I worked in person with Anna Marie's collection for a good while in the 90's, and I actually have that photograph you refer to...it shows a man resembling Oswald going down the East side of the knoll, however he appears to be walking close to or with another man.  I had it blown up to the extent I could at that time but it certainly was not clear enough for me to say more than the individual did resemble Oswald.

So Larry, the photo you saw shows a man who you feel resembles Oswald "walking" close to another man going down the East Side of the knoll?

Heading to Elm street?

Not running?

It's at least somewhat intriguing that the figure in the photo does resemble Oswald. 

Since this particular photo has possibly great importance, I'm surprised no one has asked Ms. Walko to have a copy to post in venues like our research forum.

I would not be able to judge how fast they were moving but it appears to be a walk rather than a sprint.  It would probably be a match for the pace, timing and direction of the fellow reported as going down to get picked up by the Rambler.

I have the negative as I recall, and a blown up print...but of course this was all 25 years ago now and it has been discussed many times and appeared on line in the earlier years (it may also be on one of the two Trask books, can't recall for sure), its just not too good a photo and the guys are at a distance in it.  I got the negative to see what a blow up could accomplish...turned out, not much.

Anna Marie has been in poor health for years and has not been really active in research for some time, probably since her major research work for Twyman when he did his book.   

It may be hard to appreciate that for some of us many of these topics are very old news and we have seen them discussed over and over again.....starting back on the Compuserve JFK forum.   I don't have a scanner or I would upload an image of it.   I should also note that I'm just about to recycle a few hundred pounds of my own old document collection, to a large extent because its a duplicate of what is on MFF.  And a great deal of the more unique material was publised long ago by JFK Lancer and is available on CD (including my Chrisman/Beckham documents). However there are some things that are not, for whatever reason.  If somebody wants to drop buy and box it up to do something with it that would be fine with me.

I think so Rob although until I find it I'm not going to be absolutely sure....like many people I have recently been sorting and cleaning and its not where I first looked.  As I recall it was this photo and I got a negative from AMKW, took it too a photo shop and had him crop it to just the area of interest and blow it up as far as possible while retaining some detail. 

As you can imagine the detail was enough to suggest it was a young male of the right age, hair cut, etc but not a lot else.

From this view you can tell the individual was walking with or close to another and it is indeed at just the time the Rambler is approaching down Elm street.

I think it might be this one from Robin Unger's image gallery

There are two men behind the wall on the right hand side..Click on it for a much larger version

https://www.jfkassassinationgallery.com/displayimage.php?album=125&pos=23

Edit - Larry replied while I was typing so looks like it's not this one then 

The other one referred to above then is this one 

https://www.jfkassassinationgallery.com/displayimage.php?pid=6007&fullsize=1

If it helps another photo taken at a very similar timeframe

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=99822#relPageId=2&tab=page

Well done Robin!! it is the top one you posted (that's why I was a little hesitant because I did remember that it had the two men in the foreground)

This image blowup is at least as good and I think better than what I obtained and it appears to me the shirt may actually be an Oswald match, just an impression.

It is important to reference the timing to the other photo though, because that puts the figure in the right time frame for the Rambler.

Wow. Getting this last picture up was worth the wait.

I couldn't make out a thing in the full picture, but this blow up is really intriguing.

There's the "trench coat/head scarf lady" again, walking over to the knoll side of Elm. She really gets around.

14 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

Anna Marie had wanted to donate her collection to a local university in Wichita Falls but that may have proved impossible; I do have an old number and can call her...have not talked to her for some years now.  As far as her document collection goes (you can tell what she personally collected as she marked everything with AMKW), the vast majority it if was documents from NARA available as of the eighties and nineties, including some special requests she did for Noel Twyman when she was working on his book.  That sort of material would largely be on MFF now.  Beyond that she also had a considerable collection of JFK memorabilia.

I'll call and ask about her collection if I can reach her.

Thanks Larry. This is indeed the photo I am interested in. 

I wouldn't go out of your way to call anyone.  If you have that photo I am interested in seeing it. 

However, it sounds to me like the photo we're talking about is not as it was described on BOR. 

13 hours ago, Rob Clark said:

Is this it?

Dealey-Plaza-After-JFK-Was-Shot-11-22-63cropped.jpg

This absolutely nothing like what Jim described on BOR. 

If this is the photo in question, I feel Jim misrepresented it on the show.

10 hours ago, Mark Stevens said:

Best enlarging I could do.

Murray-Zoom.jpg

I would not describe this as a person who looks like Oswald, I would say this is obviously a male who has dark hair and a receeding hairline whose features are indistinguishable from millions of other men with this clarity.

I absolutely would not describe this as "an Oswald double running down the embankment."

Sorry to bother you guys, this definitely was misrepresented on BOR. What was described was a person who could be identified who was running down the embankment, with the implication that it looked exactly like Oswald and could be construed to be a man heading towards a Nash rambler.

Insofar as Jim said that the photo confirmed Roger Craig's account -- which this does not do.