The Education Forum

Ed Haslam's book Dr. Mary's Monkey: I want honest opinions

Vince Palamara

What do you think of this book? It was/is a best-seller and a steady seller with 800-plus reviews and a very nice aggregate average on Amazon, yet (maybe I missed it) I never hear anyone talk about it. Thoughts? I have my own but I am waiting to hear from all of you.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of the book, but never thought about reading it.  There are so many rabbit holes to go down.  I try to stick closely to the core issues/persons involved so that I don't get lost.

I am thinking about reading it now that you mentioned it.  I found a supposedly free iphone download of it as an audio book at a website called SlideShare (9 hrs and 55 mins.).  Anyone know anything about this site?

I've said this before.  Haslam claims that, while in college at Tulane, a visiting faculty member calling herself Dr. Judyth Vary - who is not the JVB we all know and admire - tried to involve him in some politicized student group, to the point where her attentions and associations caused him to suspect her as an intelligence agent.*  Since publication and revision of the book, Haslam has become a supporter of the real JVB's "Me and Lee" cancer plot story, and the two have made conference appearances together.  But, in all the the time the book has been out, Haslam has produced no research showing that there was a visiting professor at Tulane calling herself Judyth Vary, and no photo of this woman.  Universities use their visiting faculty as publicity tools for hiring, enrollment and funding, so Tulane ought to have a record of this woman, if not a photo.  To me, this lack of corroboration calls other elements of Haslam's overall story into question.

There are suspicious aspects to the Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans, including Dr. Alton Ochsner's rather wide involvement in anti-Communist causes stretching past the JFKA period, and the suspicious death of Dr. Mary Sherman.  But the research into, and presentation of, the cancer plot story leaves a lot of scholarship to be desired.  In its way, JVB's book is better researched in its circumstantial story phenomena, if just as dubious as history.

---

*There may be more to this story element that I've forgotten.  For one instance, I can't remember if Haslam says the mysterious professor used the name Judyth Vary or Judyth Vary Baker.

Edited by David Andrews

27 minutes ago, Vince Palamara said:

haha--thanks for your succinct comment :)

Well sir, you asked for an honest opinion. . . 

Not to hijack the the thread but I've wondered about your thoughts about C. Douglas Dillon for some time given your expertise on the Secret Service.  Power Elite with Dulles, might the lack of security have trickled downward from the top?

There is a film coming out soon that will contest the claims of the book.

1 minute ago, James DiEugenio said:

There is a film coming out soon that will contest the claims of the book.

About Mary Sherman or, just weaponising cancer in New Orleans? I thought the book was pretty interesting and easy reading. Whatever happened to her was very shady indeed. 

From my understanding it will be about both.

Its by Steve Tyler who lives in New Orleans.

Edited by James DiEugenio

5 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

What do you think of this book? It was/is a best-seller and a steady seller with 800-plus reviews and a very nice aggregate average on Amazon, yet (maybe I missed it) I never hear anyone talk about it. Thoughts? I have my own but I am waiting to hear from all of you.

An interesting piece of work that started out as an effort to explore an under-researched area which deserves scrutiny. Somewhere along the way, the book was expanded and renamed while adding large doses of Judyth Vary Baker garbage.

I think of it like this: It is not a book I would cite in my endnotes if I were writing on the subject, but it is one I would find useful for the information in it that might be correct, and I would need to carefully parse the text, check sources, find supporting material elsewhere, and understand that you're wading into a text that is polluted. 

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Horse Shict.  Buried in the bottom of a box of books to be disposed of.

Ditto....

http://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/poking-more-holes-in-judyth-baker

in fact, Jim D and I explain as much as necessary... he helped a great deal with this article...

Be well Vince... all...

DJ

What could Dr. Mary Sherman have done to anyone to enrage them to a degree of savagery so brutal in the manner in which she was tortuously killed?

One could guess that she was just coincidentally chosen or at the wrong place at the wrong time to be this monster's target.

The official investigation didn't turn up any typical savage overkill motive profiles did it? Have only read magazine articles about it myself.

Spurned lover, lover jealousy, robbery and or robbery walk in, business deal or loan deal gone wrong, weird sex or devil worshipping club activity, whistle blower revenge, etc?

The strange machine burning monstrous brutality of her murder along with it's never being solved along with her high position connection work which was very dark agenda truly does make it a story worthy of conspiracy study versus dismissing it as nothing more than a scam to make a lot of book sale monies imo.

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCNACELwBSFXyq4

After listening to this segment go to the all new UPDATED Interview recorded with the author on 7/20/15. You can find this Part 2 ...

Edited by Joe Bauer

14 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Well sir, you asked for an honest opinion. . . 

Not to hijack the the thread but I've wondered about your thoughts about C. Douglas Dillon for some time given your expertise on the Secret Service.  Power Elite with Dulles, might the lack of security have trickled downward from the top?

C. Douglas Dillon, former OSS and anti-Castro, is definitely someone to raise eyebrows at. That said, I have found no hard evidence of anything.