The Education Forum

Olive Branches to Jeff Carter, & Robert Wheeler

Here's a disturbing Phil Spector obit... 😬

Phil Spector defined the toxic music svengali – a figure that persists today

Phil Spector defined the toxic music svengali – a figure that persists today | Music | The Guardian

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the grave, Lou Reed predicts the Capitol riot:

I've declared a truce, so stop your fighting
The marshall is in town
I won't put up with no big mouth yapping
At least not while I'm around
This is my friend Ace, he's from the 8th precinct
Nothing goes on that he don't know
And we've been sent ‘cause your arguments
Have been going on for too long
And before one of you hurts the other one of you
I'm declaring martial law

I came, I saw, I declared martial law
I'm the marshall in the city
The jails are filled with people like you
You oughta listen to your diddy-wah-diddy
What's a girl like you doing with that lamp
You better drop that down on the floor
And son, that isn't very smart
Kicking a hole in that door
Hey, Ace will you take a look at this place
And get those neighbors out of the hall
I'm declaring martial law

'Cause I'm the marshall in the city
And if you stand away, I've got something to say
That I might even help you
Keep your hands to yourself and keep your big mouth shut
Don't you touch nobody with hate-hate-hate-hate
And if all you've got is poison in your mouth
Make sure that you don't speak
It's 3: 30 in the early morning
Don't punch, don't scratch, don't bite
Try not to take the garbage of the day
Any place but outside

Now me and Mr. Ace are gonna leave this place
And this fighting's gonna end
And if we're called back, I'm gonna knock you flat
And stack you end to end

I'm the marshall in the city

Edited by David Andrews

For some reason, I was never a big fan of the Quadrophenia album-- in contrast to Who's Next.

IMO, Who's Next ranks among the greatest rock albums in history for the high quality of the song writing, ensembles, (guitars, synthesizer, Entwhistle's horns, violin, etc.) and musicianship.  Every song was a masterpiece.

(I was also a big fan of Walter/Wendy Carlos's Switched-On Bach Moog synthesizer recordings at the time.)

What an outstanding, ground-breaking piece of work it was.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Biden Watch

Biden Puts Net Neutrality Champion At FCC

https://crooksandliars.com/2021/01/biden-puts-net-neutrality-champion-fcc

The new Secretary of Defense giving Neo-Con McCain the stiff arm during the Obama Admin.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

I’m starting to warm up to this guy.

Biden pitching a much vaster climate plan than Obama ever attempted

Climate activists celebrate "major step forward," while oil industry warns of costs.

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2021/01/27/biden-climate-prders-energy-463051

People can say whatever they want about Biden, but one thing is clear: he is totally and completely commited to turning the United States toward peace in the long term.  You can see it when he speaks.  He's got no hidden agenda.  Reminds me of John Kennedy.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife bought me a thing called an "Echo Star" speaker for Christmas, with a three month subscription to Amazon Music.

I'm a Luddite who never really made the leap from vinyl and CDs to IPOD and streaming music, so this has been an interesting toy for me.  It's like having a Juke Box where you can ask "Alexa" to play obscure old songs that you haven't listened to for over 50 years because you never bought the record or CD.  Like, "Alexa, play Sukiyaki.🤥

Anyway, one of my older sisters had a Donovan Leitch record back in the 60s that I used to listen to before she went off to college in the late 60s.  So I asked Alexa to play, "Hurdy Gurdy Man."

I was immediately impressed with the drumming and lead guitar playing on the recording.  So I looked it up on Wikipedia.  Donovan wanted Jimi Hendrix to record the song, but he ended up recording it in the spring of '68 with three studio musicians-- Jimmy Page, John Bonham, and John Paul Jones-- shortly before they formed the band Led Zeppelin.

In other words, this is, more or less, the first Led Zeppelin recording in history, sans Robert Plant.

Edited by W. Niederhut

32 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

My wife bought me a thing called an "Echo Star" speaker for Christmas, with a three month subscription to Amazon Music.

I'm a Luddite who never really made the leap from vinyl and CDs to IPOD and streaming music, so this has been an interesting toy for me.  It's like having a Juke Box where you can ask "Alexa" to play obscure old songs that you haven't listened to for over 50 years because you never bought the record or CD.  Like, "Alexa, play Sukiyaki.🤥

Anyway, one of my older sisters had a Donovan Leitch record back in the 60s that I used to listen to before she went off to college in the late 60s.  So I asked Alexa to play, "Hurdy Gurdy Man."

I was immediately impressed with the drumming and lead guitar playing on the recording.  So I looked it up on Wikipedia.  Donovan wanted Jimi Hendrix to record the song, but he ended up It was recording it in the spring of '68 with three studio musicians-- Jimmy Page, John Bonham, and John Paul Jones-- shortly before they formed the band Led Zeppelin!

I wonder if they recorded any of his other songs at the time?  Mellow Yellow was catchy, Atlantis is trippy. I always liked sunshine superman and season of the witch.  Here's a little funkier version of it.