The Education Forum

Olive Branches to Jeff Carter, & Robert Wheeler

4 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Mayhem and anarchy for the sake of mayhem and anarchy, 

Bollocks.  Done properly slam dancing is controlled chaos, a pack of pinball marbles banging off each other to the music.

Then the jocks showed up thinking the idea was to smash people.

I’m curious about what acts of “mayhem” Republican punk rockers indulged.

4 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

The whole point of punk is to not have a point.

Bollocks.  The point was to think for yourself and do it yourself — an assault on conventional group think.

We hardcore punks celebrate autonomies of thought and action.  Anti-commercial music self promoted and independently distributed.

Punk/hardcore pushed back on the conventional views of music, politics, and dress.

But the assault on group think can begat group think.  People are prone to imitate what they hate.  That’s why I’ve always tolerated incidental expressions of political incorrectness.  Especially when it’s funny!

Ingrained or systemic racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia is another story.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought Veronica Lodge looked really hot in Punk (see illustration above).

Y'know, she was Henry Cabot Lodge's granddaughter, and Averill Harriman was her godfather.  She married Michael Forrestal in a secret ceremony, but daddy had it annulled.  Tom Scully laid all this out in one of the old threads.

Edited by David Andrews

4 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

I just thought Veronica Lodge looked really hot in Punk (see illustration above).

Y'know, she was Henry Cabot Lodge's granddaughter, and Averill Harriman was her godfather.  She married Michael Forrestal in a secret ceremony, but daddy had it annulled.  Tom Scully laid all this out in one of the old threads.

images.png.a4362fa5b0662f725477bbbd0853e42d.png

Your going very deep for many on here using Scully.  You know Lodge leads to Paines . . .

1 hour ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I remember the ad firm that put this Suburu commercial together caught a lot of S~~t for its attempted highjack of punk/grunge. 1992 - thirty seconds.

Punk rock never said — “Excuse me.”

1 hour ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I just came across this music video and thought it sounded pretty much the opposite of punk/hardcore. Being the rebel I am, I decided to post it anyway.

Watch the singer's lips and I guarentee you'll fall in love.

All music welcome on this thread.

A similar groove...

Biden Watch

Dear Joe Biden: are you kidding me?

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/19/dear-joe-biden-are-you-kidding-me-erin-brockovich

<quote>

For years, I’ve been trying to impart a simple concept that Superman is not coming.

Dare I say, I had hopes that this new administration would usher in the dawning of a new day. As picks for President-elect Joe Biden’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) transition team were announced, I felt concerned and disheartened about a chemical industry insider being on the list. Are you kidding me?

The US is in a water crisis far worse than most people imagine | Erin Brockovich

Michael McCabe, a former employee of Biden and a former deputy Environmental Protection Agency administrator, later jumped ship to work as a consultant on communication strategy for DuPont during a time when the chemical company was looking to fight regulations of their star chemical perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) also known as C8. The toxic manmade chemical is used in everything from waterproof clothes, stain-resistant textiles and food packaging to non-stick pans. The compound has been linked to lowered fertility, cancer and liver damage. The Guardian reported this week that Harvard school of public health professor Philippe Grandjean, who studies environmental health, warns that PFAS chemicals, of which PFOA is one, might reduce the efficacy of a Covid-19 vaccine.

3 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Wearing white before Memorial Day.

Wearing straw hats after Labor Day.

Yelling "look out" instead of "fore."

Tipping the garcon at a Parisian cafe. 

Salad forks are for posers, any fork will do.

As long as ya don’t refer to San Francisco as — “San Fran” — ya rowdy punker.