The Education Forum

Olive Branches to Jeff Carter, & Robert Wheeler

On 11/13/2020 at 4:34 AM, Robert Wheeler said:

This could be your theme song Cliff.

Great Canadian band not to be confused with Brit band Subhumanz.

This song was written by Gerry Hannah, who went on to take Direct Action against the American military industrial complex.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Hannah

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biden Watch

Biden signals reluctance to investigate, prosecute Trump for his crimes

https://occupydemocrats.com/2020/11/17A/biden-signals-reluctance-to-investigate-prosecute-trump-for-his-crimes/

Will Donald Trump walk away from his presidency scot-free?

That’s the frightening prospect the nation faces after the term of perhaps the least law-abiding president in history ends if one is to put any credence in the reports the President-elect Joe Biden is privately telling advisors that he doesn’t want his own presidency to be overwhelmed by endless investigations of his predecessor.

According to an NBC News report sourced from five people with knowledge of the discussions, Biden is leery of a long series of probes into Trump’s conduct that would continue to divide the country at a time when his paramount goal is to try to reunite the nation.

Biden is also worried that such investigations would continue to allow Trump to remain in the spotlight and dominate the news cycles with his endless tweets declaring his victimization and absolving himself of any responsibilities whatsoever for the transgressions of his administration.

The president-elect reportedly specifically mentioned the wisdom of avoiding federal tax investigations of his vanquished foe and of challenging any immunity orders or pardons that Trump may issue in his lame-duck weeks ahead, with one advisor saying that Biden “just wants to move on.”

Edited by Cliff Varnell
1 minute ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Biden Watch

Biden signals reluctance to investigate, prosecute Trump for his crimes

https://occupydemocrats.com/2020/11/17A/biden-signals-reluctance-to-investigate-prosecute-trump-for-his-crimes/

Wrong thread Cliff. Punk or politics? Pick one; for this punk post thread you started, so I don’t have to put you on ignore for your otherwise entertaining punk posts.

2 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Wrong thread Cliff. Punk or politics? Pick one; for this punk post thread you started, so I don’t have to put you on ignore for your otherwise entertaining punk posts.

Please refer to the Subhumans song above.

6 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

My cousin Al Stratton (a/k/a AJ Coon) played bass in the Kamikazi Klones.

Great band.  Tight.

Around ‘77 they sent a demo tape to Devo and challenged them to a battle of the bands.  Devo didn’t directly respond, but Al was convinced these lyrics from “Smart Patrol/Mr.DNA” (“Mr. Kamikazi, Mr. DNA”) referred to the Klones:

Wait a minute, something’s wrong

He’s a man with a plan

His finger’s pointed at Devo

Now we must sacrifice ourselves

So many others may live

Oh baby we got a lot to give

The Klones came to San Francisco in ‘82 and played a Friday night at the On Broadway and Saturday at the Fab Mab.  The punk rockers showed on Friday, but it was young couples night at the Mab and the place was packed.  There was some slamming in the pit on Friday, but Saturday it was couples dancing.  I’d never seen that before at the Mab!  

I’ve been out of touch with Cousin Al since his Mom passed.  W., you probably know him.  If you see him around Evergreen tell him his Cousin Cliff sez hey.

Cliff,

Small world!  Your cousin Al ("AJ") was a big part of the Kamikazi Klones shows around here back in the early 80s. 

I remember AJ well, on stage, but never met him.  (Evergreen is on a different planet.)

He was not the Klone I once treated, but I shouldn't say more about that subject, in the interest of confidentiality.

As for Stravinsky, Paul is the second professional musician I know of who is especially fond of The Rite of Spring.  What a piece of work!

12 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Discuss:

punk.jpg.08f01bc6e6fea5dd1e1f39e4fcb0f91c.jpg

Mayhem and anarchy for the sake of mayhem and anarchy, not for a political ideal, or to exempt a particular group from mockery because of societal pressure.

Black Flag's "Slip it in" Album Cover is of a hand drawn nun.

The name Dead Kennedy's is offensive by itself, and the Album cover of "Plastic Surgery Disasters" is the hand of emaciated African child.

The Dead Milkmen "Driving Retards to the Zoo" is certainly not politically correct now and was even considered offensive in the 80s. (Listen to the lines from "Tanner" (one of the kids) in the original Bad News Bears movie if you want to see what you could get away with as far as being offensive in the 70s compared to today.)

Three out of four Misfit Songs are about killing a girlfriend (yes that's an exaggeration) or otherwise would never pass a feminist's test.

The whole point of punk is to not have a point. No person or group (race, religion, political leaning, sexual identity, social class, generation, affliction) should be immune to not being offended. The Punk who manages to offend a particular person or protected group also can't complain if he/she is called an a-hole, or is punched in the face.

I think the third stanza of Punk Rock Girl, by The Dead Milkmen, is appropriate for the discussion.

No Iced Tea? Wreck the place!

"California Dreaming" by the Beach Boys. "Wrong band" says the boomer, "who cares?" says the Punk Rock Girl.

We went to the Philly Pizza Company
And ordered some hot tea
The waitress said "Well no
We only have it iced"
So we jumped up on the table
And shouted "anarchy"
And someone played a Beach Boys song
On the jukebox
It was "California Dreamin'"
So we started screaming
"On such a winter's day"

Edited by Robert Wheeler
4 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Mayhem and anarchy for the sake of mayhem and anarchy, 

Bollocks.  Done properly slam dancing is controlled chaos, a pack of pinball marbles banging off each other to the music.

Then the jocks showed up thinking the idea was to smash people.

I’m curious about what acts of “mayhem” Republican punk rockers indulged.

4 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

The whole point of punk is to not have a point.

Bollocks.  The point was to think for yourself and do it yourself — an assault on conventional group think.

We hardcore punks celebrate autonomies of thought and action.  Anti-commercial music self promoted and independently distributed.

Punk/hardcore pushed back on the conventional views of music, politics, and dress.

But the assault on group think can begat group think.  People are prone to imitate what they hate.  That’s why I’ve always tolerated incidental expressions of political incorrectness.  Especially when it’s funny!

Ingrained or systemic racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia is another story.

I just thought Veronica Lodge looked really hot in Punk (see illustration above).

Y'know, she was Henry Cabot Lodge's granddaughter, and Averill Harriman was her godfather.  She married Michael Forrestal in a secret ceremony, but daddy had it annulled.  Tom Scully laid all this out in one of the old threads.

images.png.a4362fa5b0662f725477bbbd0853e42d.png

4 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

I just thought Veronica Lodge looked really hot in Punk (see illustration above).

Y'know, she was Henry Cabot Lodge's granddaughter, and Averill Harriman was her godfather.  She married Michael Forrestal in a secret ceremony, but daddy had it annulled.  Tom Scully laid all this out in one of the old threads.

images.png.a4362fa5b0662f725477bbbd0853e42d.png

Your going very deep for many on here using Scully.  You know Lodge leads to Paines . . .