The Education Forum

The Rogge Report: Where is it?

Pat Speer

Years ago, I wrote a letter to a writer at my local paper asking if she would be interested in material related to the Kennedy assassination. She said no, that she'd had many talks with the FBI agent who wrote the FBI's first report on the JFK assassination evidence, Richard Rogge, and that he'd convinced her it was Oswald all by his lonesome. She even offered to put me in touch with Rogge, which I failed to follow up on, seeing as he was really old at the time, and I generally shy from arguing with people of my mother's generation or older. 

In any event, I remember searching the Mary Ferrell site for Rogge's report, which preceded the FBI report of 12-9-63, Warren Commission Document 1. As I recall, I found it.

I've been looking for it again over the past few days, however, and can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where it is? I'm particularly interested to know if the photo exhibits in Rogge's report were the same photos used in CD1. If so, no biggie. If not, well, there could be a whole bunch of evidence photos most of us have never studied. 

Edited by Pat Speer

Thanks, Doug

Cason was the journalist with whom I communicated, and Gallegly was my congressman. Rogge lived maybe 15 minutes away. 

As stated, I was looking for Rogge's report within the FBI's JFK files, or within any files ever provided the Warren Commission. I could have sworn I found it within those files years ago. But I haven't been able to find it in those files recently.  

I did find it, or a version of it, however, within the FBI's Mexico City files, now available on the Mary Ferrell site. Evidently the report was provided Ambassador Mann on the 27th, and he left it behind when he was transferred, which then led to the FBI's re-taking possession of the report and putting it in their Mexico City files. This version is missing the exhibits (primarily evidence photos), however.

This could nevertheless be significant. IF, as I now suspect, this report is not in the FBI's files in Washington, and is only to be found in the FBI's Mexico City files, it suggests 1) that the original report was pulled from the HQ files and destroyed (which should lead one to wonder what other reports and/or interviews have been destroyed), and 2) that some of these destroyed files may  be found in the files of outside offices, such as Mexico City. 

On 12/22/2020 at 2:24 PM, Pat Speer said:

Years ago, I wrote a letter to a writer at my local paper asking if she would be interested in material related to the Kennedy assassination. She said no, that she'd had many talks with the FBI agent who wrote the FBI's first report on the JFK assassination evidence, Richard Rogge, and that he'd convinced her it was Oswald all by his lonesome. She even offered to put me in touch with Rogge, which I failed to follow up on, seeing as he was really old at the time, and I generally shy from arguing with people of my mother's generation or older. 

In any event, I remember searching the Mary Ferrell site for Rogge's report, which preceded the FBI report of 12-9-63, Warren Commission Document 1. As I recall, I found it.

I've been looking for it again over the past few days, however, and can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where it is? I'm particularly interested to know if the photo exhibits in Rogge's report were the same photos used in CD1. If so, no biggie. If not, well, there could be a whole bunch of evidence photos most of us have never studied. 

FWIW:  Pat Lambert and I had a multi-hour in-person interview with (retired) Richard Rogge, taped with permission, at his home in Southern California (which I now refer to as "SoCal").  Rogge was a firm believer in the LHO-did-it alone school of thought.  In other words, he completely bought --as valid--the Dallas Police Department view of the case.  The one particular that I recall: that in the hours following the assassination, Rogge was personally flown to Washington (as I recall) on LBJ's jet.  (DSL, 12/28/20 -1:45 AM PST) 

15 hours ago, David Lifton said:

FWIW:  Pat Lambert and I had a multi-hour in-person interview with (retired) Richard Rogge, taped with permission, at his home in Southern California (which I now refer to as "SoCal").  Rogge was a firm believer in the LHO-did-it alone school of thought.  In other words, he completely bought --as valid--the Dallas Police Department view of the case.  The one particular that I recall: that in the hours following the assassination, Rogge was personally flown to Washington (as I recall) on LBJ's jet.  (DSL, 12/28/20 -1:45 AM PST) 

Thanks, David. I was able to find the report in the FBI's files. 

Intriguingly, it was not in the files where you would expect it--near the beginning, along with CD1 and other materials prepared in November and December 1963. It was in their files with materials prepared in June. Apparently, Ambassador Mann told the WC's staff he'd received a "dossier" on Oswald from the FBI a few days after the assassination, and Rankin wrote the FBI in April asking them what this was, and why it had never been shown the WC. This, then led to the FBI's coughing up the report, with the explanation that it was only a "working paper" and that "working papers" were not normally forwarded outside the bureau.

Well, this is interesting, at least to me. It means that IF the FBI had initially concluded Oswald had help, or that Howard Brennan was a xxxx, etc, that this conclusion would not have been reflected in ANY document put into the permanent file provided to the archives and WC. 

There's also this. My renewed interest in this report sprung from my realization it had originally included photo exhibits, and that these exhibits would have preceded the exhibits put into CD1 by 10 days or so, and may have actually been different exhibits. Well, these exhibits are not re-produced in the Mexico City file, or the FBI HQ files in which the text of the report was repeated. This seems suspicious. I mean, I can't recall any other FBI report culminating in a list of supporting photo exhibits in which these exhibits--or at least bad photocopies of these exhibits--were not included. Could it be, then, that one or more of these exhibits was swapped out before the publishing of similar exhibits in CD1? And that that is why this report/dossier was not provided the archives with its exhibits intact? 

Edited by Pat Speer