The Education Forum

Merry Christmas

Ron Bulman

First time I watched Christmas With The Kranks tonight.  Left me thinking of this song from my youth they actually played on the radio back then.  They're of about equal quality.  Time for a Christmas leftover ham sandwich.

15 hours ago, Kathy Beckett said:

Chris, I had never heard that song before.  It's a wonderful song.  Made me cry a bit. Reminded me of going to my parents They have been  gone for years, but isn't it amazing that we can go back, even if it's only for a moment?

Thank you.

Hi Kathy, 

It's one of the best. I was a little boy in the 80's and my dad would drive all over the UK with work, sometimes he'd take me on these long journeys and it would be the best thing in the world going with him and listening to music on the motorway's (freeways), him telling 'Dad jokes' and us playing the 'numberplate game', trying to make words or 'I spy'. That's the magic of music, Dad is 74, not in great health and when he's gone I am sure it will make me cry me more than a bit. Music has this way of activating nostalgia and taking us back to moments that are long gone, in the clearest of detail. 

Here are some of the songs I remember from those trips:

Carly Simon - Coming around again
John Waite - I ain't missing you
The Pretenders - Don't get me wrong
The Pretenders - I'll stand by you
Cindy Lauper - Time after time
Patti Labelle - If you asked me to
Paul Young - Everytime you go away
Paul Young - Wherever I lay my hat
David Bowie - Star Man
Whitney Houston - I have nothing 
The Waterboys - The whole of the moon
Tears for fears - Everybody wants to rule the world
Fleetwood Mac - Gypsy
Annie Lennox - No more I love you's
Bruce Springsteen - I'm on fire
Peter Gabriel - in your eyes
Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill
Simple Minds - Belfast Child 
Diana Ross - I'm still waiting
Tina Turner - We don't need another hero

Merry Christmas 

Here's the pop Christmas vinyl that reminds me the most of my childhood-- featuring Bing Crosby, the Andrew sisters, and terrific orchestrations.

Another Christmas favorite of mine, for pops, is Ella Fitgerald's jazzy 1960 Verve album, Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas.

Here's hoping that, "Next year, all our troubles will be out of sight!"

Edited by W. Niederhut

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Here's the pop Christmas vinyl that reminds me the most of my childhood-- featuring Bing Crosby, the Andrew sisters, and terrific orchestrations.

Another Christmas favorite of mine, for pops, is Ella Fitgerald's jazzy 1960 Verve album, Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas.

Here's hoping that, "Next year, all our troubles will be out of sight!"

The second one is a classic. 

And a maybe hopefully Happier New Year?  Covid's demise.  Less tension period.  Economic help and recovery? 

It's snowing tonight in north central Texas.  Unusual, a dusting some years, many nothing, occasional accumulation.  A nice end to a terrible year.  Everything outside covered in white.  Pretty.  It will be gone tomorrow.  Hope for the moment from here for a better New Year to all.

Happy New Year.

Hopefully this new year will bring better things for us all.

2020 was a heart breaking nightmare.

Well, at least we are starting the new year by getting our $600 stimulus deposit!

My car needs tires, I need two constant excrutiating pain causing root canals and $7,000 worth of teeth work with no insurance, I'm trying to pass a kidney/bladder stone for last week ... so the funds help if even just a little.

Maybe some new revelation regards the JFK truth will come out this new year.

Maybe the lanky suited man in the 3 tramp photo will be proven to be Lansdale, same with Rip Robertson in Dealey Plaza. Maybe my big "smoking gun" proposition regards the deep metal lifting indentation in the JFK limo windshield frame will finally be acknowledged as being made during the shooting on 11,22,1963, maybe ... well ... let us hope something just and helpful comes out this new year.

Hopefully too...maybe our divided, riled up and hate filled nation can begin to heal and we can restfully deal with our POST TRAUMATIC TRUMP STRESS ordeal.

Prayers of peace ... Amen.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Happy New Year to all!

My wife told me that our dogs were frightened by fireworks at midnight last night, but I was fast asleep at the time, wearing earplugs.  I don't handle champagne like I used to.

Not a very swinging New Year's Eve in our household, but our Christmas tree is still looking good and we haven't finished off all of the holiday carbs-- so it's still not too late to wish everyone a cool Yule!

Edited by W. Niederhut

I think I'm sophisticated 'cause I'm living my life like a good homo sapien

But all around me, everybody's multiplying, and they're walking round like flies man

So I'm no better than the animals sitting in their cages in the zoo man

Because compared to the flowers and the birds and the trees,

I am an Apeman

I think I'm so educated and I'm so civilized 'cause I'm a strict vegetarian

But with the over-population and inflation and starvation and the crazy politicians

I don't feel safe in this world no more, I don't want to die in a nuclear war

I want to sail away to a distant shore,

And make like an Apeman

Not sure where to post this, but I've been listening to Paul McCartney's new album -- McCartney III-- which he recorded by himself in his studio during the COVID lockdown last year.

Interesting, original songs and instrumentals by an old Beatle who is approaching his 80th birthday.

You go, Sir Paul!