The Education Forum

Review of Howard Hunt's book, Bimini Run, that has a main character in it named Sturgis

From the description, I really don't think I'd like Bimini Run.  At that time of lurid-cover paperbacks (William Faulkner hated them), a lot of men were writing Hemingway knock-offs without the brains, and Hunt seems to have been one of them.  I would prefer to judge Hunt's abilities by one of his later spy novels, which I may perish without reading.

It's interesting how Angleton and Hunt define the high and low ends of the literary spectrum at CIA, with Dulles and, for a time, Helms being Hunt fans.  I wonder how Angleton judged Hunt's mind by its literary fruits.  That had to have crept in somewhere.

Edited by David Andrews

Was Hunt's on tape end of life "LBJ and CORD MEYER did it" story ( complete with his personal "hand written" connected dots of planning organization diagram ) and his own participation as a "benchwarmer" in "The Big Event" just another made up fantasy spy novel mind set creation?

Part of a plan by Hunt to give his son St. John something to make some financial security monies ( book and or movie deal?) that Hunt was unable to give him while alive, or even dead with no assets left of his own?   Maybe also an effort like this because of guilt over treating St. John Hunt with less than the most loving treatment and maybe even guilt over St.John Hunt's mother being taken away from him so brutally?

Edited by Joe Bauer

5 hours ago, David Andrews said:

From the description, I really don't think I'd like Bimini Run.  At that time of lurid-cover paperbacks (William Faulkner hated them), a lot of men were writing Hemingway knock-offs without the brains, and Hunt seems to have been one of them.  I would prefer to judge Hunt's abilities by one of his later spy novels, which I may perish without reading.

It's interesting how Angleton and Hunt define the high and low ends of the literary spectrum at CIA, with Dulles and, for a time, Helms being Hunt fans.  I wonder how Angleton judged Hunt's mind by its literary fruits.  That had to have crept in somewhere.

Nixon at times was on the movie set of "Nixon" advising Oliver Stone 

“Nixon” quotes

(1995)

“- John Dean: Can I ask you a question? How the hell do you have the temerity to blackmail the President of the United States?
- E. Howard Hunt: That's not the question, John. The question is: why is he paying?”

https://www.moviequotes.com/s-movie/nixon/

2 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Nixon at times was on the movie set of "Nixon" advising Oliver Stone  

?

Nixon died before "Nixon" started filming.

34 minutes ago, Dan Rice said:

?

Nixon died before "Nixon" started filming.

The film was released in 1995. Was it being made earlier than April 22 of 1994? The date of Nixon's passing?