The Education Forum

Gladys Johnson

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I would have to agree with you Steve.

I have never seen any such exhibit.

Jim,

In addition, that's not how the police who arrested him tell it.

Detective Bob Carroll was the officer who grabbed Oswald's pistol out of his hand and stuck in his belt at the Texas Theater. He drove the car that carried Oswald back to City Hall. (7H25)

Mr. BELIN. Did you ever hear anyone say anything about his having an address on North Beckley or on Beckley Street?

Mr. CARROLL. I heard later, but I couldn't say who it was that said it.
Mr. BELIN. When you say later, you mean later than what?
Mr. CARROLL. Later that day.

Mr. BELIN. Did he give two names? Or did someone in the car read from the identification?
Mr. CARROLL. Someone in the car may have read from the identification. I know two names, the best I recall, were mentioned.

Mr. BELIN. Were any addresses mentioned?
Mr. CARROLL. Not that I recall; no, sir.

Detective Guy Rose told the Warren Commission that:

Mr. BALL. Did you ask him what his address was?
Mr. ROSE. Yes; but from there, he wouldn't tell me--he just said, "You just find out."
Mr. BALL. Now, did anybody ever tell you that his address was 1026 North Beckley?
Mr. ROSE. Later they did--right then they didn't; no, sir.

K.E. Lyon, who was also in the car transporting Oswald to City Hall in his report: Box 5, Folder# 2, Item# 78 makes no mention of obtaining Oswald's address

In his after-action Report dated December 3, 1963, DPD Archives, Box 2, Folder# 7, Item# 4, page 2

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box2.htm

Detective Paul Bentley wrote: “On the way to the City Hall, I removed the suspect's wallet and obtained his name.... I turned his identification over to Lt. Baker. I then went to Captain Westbrook's office to make a report of this arrest.”

There is nothing in his Report about obtaining an address.

Steve Thomas

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think that is pretty indicative that someone was covering up how they got there.

On 1/30/2021 at 4:42 PM, Steve Thomas said:

Both Mr. and Mrs. Johnson told the Warren Commission and later interviewers that the police told them that Oswald had a piece of paper in his pocket that had the Beckley St. address on it at the time of his arrest at the Texas Theater.

I've never seen that piece of paper in any of the Police Department evidence sheets. Were the Johnsons lying? Did the police lie to the Johnsons. 

1) Why would Oswald walk around with his address in his pocket? So he wouldn't forget where he lived?

2) The [secretive] Dallas cops would have never told anyone what they have and what they don't. That is a fact.

On 1/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, Karl Hilliard said:

WH_Vol20_0148b.gif

One more thing can be said about this Exhibit A....It appears to me that in addition to being a copy of the original...it seems to me that there was some alteration. It looks like there was a [something] OUT [something] and possibly writing underneath that also received a block-out. And again..Why was it ever filed as Top Secret? What national security could have been conceived?

Edited by Karl Hilliard

A cat amongst pigeons.  A post on DPUK's FB page today.

Firstly, let's dispose of the question mark at the ed forum about whether they had a ledger (questioned because I indicated they did). I use "ledger" and "register" interchangeably. Was that really so confusing for anyone?

Here is what Gladys said:

Mrs. JOHNSON. You know, I'm sorry I didn't bring my register. I couldn't tell you exactly; I imagine I had about 10 or 12.

So no matter the terminology, they kept records in a book or pad of some type. 

According to Pat Hall in some of her many interviews during the 50th, her grandmother destroyed this registry due to all the hassle caused by Oswald having stayed there. If so, she still seems to have had it at the time of her testimony and she should have been asked to provide it at a later date.

The cops also confirmed looking through this register when they attended, but again, failed to take it as evidence.

In lieu of the registry, Gladys brought in the original of this - now known a Johnson Exhibit A.

Johnson Exhibit A WH_Vol20_0148b

Karl Hilliard made some very good observations about it and the claim that cops found the address of the boarding house in Oswald's pocket.

Karl Hilliard wrote:1) Why would Oswald walk around with his address in his pocket? So he wouldn't forget where he lived?
2) The [secretive] Dallas cops would have never told anyone what they have and what they don't. That is a fact.

1. He wouldn't be carrying it around - not unless he did not live there, but had the address as somewhere to move to soon. 

And that was not the case.

Karl Hilliard wrote:One more thing can be said about this Exhibit A....It appears to me that in addition to being a copy of the original...it seems to me that there was some alteration. It looks like there was a [something] OUT [something] and possibly writing underneath that also received a block-out. And again..Why was it ever filed as Top Secret? What national security could have been conceived?

Again, absolutely correct. I think I have made this point before, but can't find it.

What I believe it originally said was "Moved out" and the date that was erased was the date that happened.

Moreover, it was not in regard to Oswald but to H. Lee.

The "O" was added - as was the date the next payment was due so as to give the impression of still living there as at Nov 22. 

There was NO OH Lee.  It was a misreading of the registry which most likely showed something like 

Room 0  H Lee.

You can see clearly on this exhibit that the room in question was designated as "Room 0". 

All of the lying about how the cops found the place can be put down to covering up that it came from Fay Puckett to Dallas police via a reserve officer friend of the family - and that she had mistaken Oswald for "H Lee" - aka Herbert Leon Lee.

The case was a whole series of clusterf-c-s that they managed to massage to their advantage.

One last (and probably minor point). It seems likely that the room was given that number because it was a converted library. By the time it became a bedroom, all the other rooms had long been numbered starting at 1 - the bedroom nearest the old library. It was simply easier and cheaper to call the "new" room 0, then have to renumber all of the rooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes...Room 0 was originally a dinky storage room. Jail cells in Mexico are bigger than Room 0.

Here at the house we keep a record of our deposits and withdrawals in a ledger. When we went to a hotel or sometimes at a wedding or funeral we sign a register... this is a record of attendance.

Gladys Johnson was [not so clearly] describing something that she apparently didn't [if ever] had. Her words [" I couldn't tell you exactly"] indicates this.

I don't think that Exhibit A originally said "Moved Out". Oswald did not move out...or I guess the Dallas Police moved him out one could say. Exhibit A was created all in one sitting...anyone can see that. If anything it is evidence of collusion and conspiracy. Regardless of the granddaughter's claim...I cannot see what hassle the record could have caused her as Mrs Johnson mentioned in her very testimony that she saw a chance to make some money from it. Today...such a souvenir might certainly fetch hundreds if not thousands.