The Education Forum

Top JFK Secret Service agents…on game shows?!

Top JFK Secret Service agents…on game shows?! - YouTube

Top JFK Secret Service agents…on game shows?!

1)     SAIC Gerald Behn (JFK/LBJ era; in Secret Service 1939-1967): What’s My Line 12/27/59

2)     SAIC Gerald Behn (JFK/LBJ era; in Secret Service 1939-1967): To Tell The Truth 2/26/62

3)     Deputy Chief (and former OSS) Paul Paterni (JFK/LBJ era; in Secret Service FDR-Nixon): To Tell The Truth 1/28/62

4)     Chief U.E. Baughman (Chief 11/22/48-January 1961; replaced by Rowley): To Tell The Truth 4/9/57

5)     Chief U.E. Baughman (Chief 11/22/48-January 1961; replaced by Rowley): What’s My Line 11/27/55

Behn-took first vacation of the JFK era during the week of the JFK assassination!

Baughman-“retired” by the Kennedy brothers (around the very same time Dulles, Bissel and Cabell were let go) because he did not believe the Mafia existed! Made the Chief 11/22/48

Paterni-former OSS man who worked with Ray Rocca (liaison to the WC) and James Angleton during WWII; involved in critical limo inspection; had been up for replacing Baughman

Baughman's book SECRET SERVICE CHIEF is quite good. I read it when

it came out (it was published in January 1962). It is rather prophetic. The

fact that I had read it was one reason I was not entirely surprised when

Kennedy was shot and saw through some of the lies that were quickly

spewed out that day about what happened. I wrote my short story about

the Kennedy assassination, "The Plot Against a Country," even before

that, in October 1961, for my freshman English class at Marquette

University High School in Milwaukee. I believe I was concerned because of the lack of security

around Kennedy and my concern about the vulnerability I witnessed in him when I met him twice during the

Wisconsin primary campaign in March and April 1960 while working as a volunteer on his campaign and was in close

proximity to him, talking with him on both occasions. And I was a student of the Lincoln

assassination and had visited Ford's Theater in May 1962 but was surprised

to find it closed and gutted at the time, before its restoration. On that visit

I went around the Capitol, including the floor of the House while it was in session and the cloakroom,

with a page boy, who showed me something he said he wasn't supposed to show

people, the catafalque on which Lincoln's coffin had rested. It was in a locked, secluded

room in the Capitol covered with a dusty black sheet. Kennedy's coffin later rested

in state on that same catafalque. Also in May 1962, when I was in the honor guard at a speech

he gave in the Milwaukee Arena, I impulsively said "Hi, Jack!" to him afterward when I pulled

back a curtain behind the presidential podium five feet away from him, and he nodded and smile, then turned and walked

down a ramp into the Lincoln limousine in which he would be killed the following year. My father

at a reception before that event had time to ask Kennedy one question. He asked, "Do you ever

worry about being assassinated?" Kennedy replied that of course he realized that was possible

but that if he thought about it all the time, he couldn't do his job.

Edited by Joseph McBride

On 1/25/2021 at 5:08 AM, Joseph McBride said:

Baughman's book SECRET SERVICE CHIEF is quite good. I read it when

it came out (it was published in January 1962). It is rather prophetic. The

fact that I had read it was one reason I was not entirely surprised when

Kennedy was shot and saw through some of the lies that were quickly

spewed out that day about what happened. I wrote my short story about

the Kennedy assassination, "The Plot Against a Country," even before

that, in October 1961, for my freshman English class at Marquette

University High School in Milwaukee. I believe I was concerned because of the lack of security

around Kennedy and my concern about the vulnerability I witnessed in him when I met him twice during the

Wisconsin primary campaign in March and April 1960 while working as a volunteer on his campaign and was in close

proximity to him, talking with him on both occasions. And I was a student of the Lincoln

assassination and had visited Ford's Theater in May 1962 but was surprised

to find it closed and gutted at the time, before its restoration. On that visit

I went around the Capitol, including the floor of the House while it was in session and the cloakroom,

with a page boy, who showed me something he said he wasn't supposed to show

people, the catafalque on which Lincoln's coffin had rested. It was in a locked, secluded

room in the Capitol covered with a dusty black sheet. Kennedy's coffin later rested

in state on that same catafalque. Also in May 1962, when I was in the honor guard at a speech

he gave in the Milwaukee Arena, I impulsively said "Hi, Jack!" to him afterward when I pulled

back a curtain behind the presidential podium five feet away from him, and he nodded and smile, then turned and walked

down a ramp into the Lincoln limousine in which he would be killed the following year. My father

at a reception before that event had time to ask Kennedy one question. He asked, "Do you ever

worry about being assassinated?" Kennedy replied that of course he realized that was possible

but that if he thought about it all the time, he couldn't do his job.

Very interesting!!