The Education Forum

late day witness to armed man running out back of Book Depository 11/22/63

Here's a transcript.

-

HOST: Let’s go to our final caller with you Alex, first time caller. Hi there.

VELMA: Hello?

HOST: Yeah, go ahead please.

VELMA: Uh, I am, uh, Velma, and I live a hundred miles from Dallas, I was living in Dallas at the time, and I had my car parked behind that Texas Depository book building.

HOST: Yes, Velma.

VELMA: I saw the shooter came out, and he had a very high powered rifle, it was no bolt action. And uh, that…

HOST: Now let me ask you please, because that rifle that they said Oswald used to kill Kennedy was apparently left upstairs...

VELMA: It was.

HOST: And you’re saying, you’re saying you saw someone else...

VELMA: Yes sir.

HOST: ...come out with a high-powered rifle. Okay, tell me what happened then.

VELMA: Okay, I’m sitting in my car, and there’s a grey dove-colored old one-seated Plymouth car sitting there, and there’s a man with a felt hat on with a wide band, and he had on a suit, and he had black hair and real heavy eyebrows, and he had looked at me kinda dirty.  Well about that time a police car come and told this man to move, and he w-, he didn’t move right away. And the police got out of his car, and I know later it was Tippit. And he told him, he said, “I said move that car!” Well then, this man, that’s in this old grey car, he went straight on around and went round this big building that was across the street from me. Tippit went the other way, so they must have made it back there. Anyway, this man…

HOST 2: There were, there were dozens of witnesses that saw…

HOST: Let me, let me ask you this, uh, Alex, because we’re ready to, uh, hit the hour here. Did you say this to the Warren Commission, ma’am, or anybody else?

VELMA: I haven’t told anybody because, uh, I didn’t want...  I had four children, I was havin’, course (unintelligible), and I didn’t want to get shot. And I saw the man, and uh, I could tell you how he’s dressed...

56 minutes ago, Denny Zartman said:

Here's a transcript.

-

HOST: Let’s go to our final caller with you Alex, first time caller. Hi there.

VELMA: Hello?

HOST: Yeah, go ahead please.

VELMA: Uh, I am, uh, Velma, and I live a hundred miles from Dallas, I was living in Dallas at the time, and I had my car parked behind that Texas Depository book building.

HOST: Yes, Velma.

VELMA: I saw the shooter came out, and he had a very high powered rifle, it was no bolt action. And uh, that…

HOST: Now let me ask you please, because that rifle that they said Oswald used to kill Kennedy was apparently left upstairs...

VELMA: It was.

HOST: And you’re saying, you’re saying you saw someone else...

VELMA: Yes sir.

HOST: ...come out with a high-powered rifle. Okay, tell me what happened then.

VELMA: Okay, I’m sitting in my car, and there’s a grey dove-colored old one-seated Plymouth car sitting there, and there’s a man with a felt hat on with a wide band, and he had on a suit, and he had black hair and real heavy eyebrows, and he had looked at me kinda dirty.  Well about that time a police car come and told this man to move, and he w-, he didn’t move right away. And the police got out of his car, and I know later it was Tippit. And he told him, he said, “I said move that car!” Well then, this man, that’s in this old grey car, he went straight on around and went round this big building that was across the street from me. Tippit went the other way, so they must have made it back there. Anyway, this man…

HOST 2: There were, there were dozens of witnesses that saw…

HOST: Let me, let me ask you this, uh, Alex, because we’re ready to, uh, hit the hour here. Did you say this to the Warren Commission, ma’am, or anybody else?

VELMA: I haven’t told anybody because, uh, I didn’t want...  I had four children, I was havin’, course (unintelligible), and I didn’t want to get shot. And I saw the man, and uh, I could tell you how he’s dressed...

thanks a lot!

Staff Report of the Select Committee on Assassinations
U.S. House of Representatives
Ninety-fifth Congress Second Session
March 1979

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/jfkinfo4/jfk12/hscawtns.htm#tsbd

• In an interview in Dallas with committee investigators on August 26, 1978, Tom Tilson reported that he saw a man running from the plaza immediately after the shots. Tilson stated that on November 22, 1963, he was off duty from his job as a Dallas Police Department patrolman.(218) At the time of the motorcade, he was driving east from Commerce Street and was approaching the triple underpass.(219) He had already heard the report on his police radio that there had been shooting at the motorcade and had seen the Presidential limousine travel at high speed from the underpass.(220) as he was in the are of the triple underpass, Tilson saw a man "slipping and sliding" down the embankment on the north side of Elm Street west of the underpass.(221) Tilson said the man appeared conspicuous because he was the only one running away from the plaza immediately after the shots.(222) Tilson said that because of his speed, the man rammed against the side of a "dark" car which was parked there.(223) Tilson said he then saw the man do something at the rear door portion of the car, like "throw something inside, then jump behind the wheel and take off very fast."(224)

• Tilson told the investigators that his 17 years of experiences as a policeman, combined with the radio broadcast of the shooting and this conspicuous man, caused him to "give chase" to the man speeding away from the direction of the plaza.(225) He then saw the same "dark car" going south on Industrial Boulevard, and he followed it.(226) As the car approached a toll road toward Ft. Worth, Tilson was within 100 feet and called out the license number, make, and model to his daughter, Dinah, who was riding with him. She wrote it down on a slip of paper.(227)

• Tilson described the man as white, 38 to 40 years old, 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 9 inches in height, with a round face.(228) Tilson said he had dark hair and was wearing dark clothing.(229) Tilson said he know Jack Ruby, and the man looked enough like Jack Ruby to be his "twin."(230) That impression was so strong in Tilson's mind that he noted that Ruby showed a lot of "resourcefulness" in arranging to be identified in a newspaper office at the time of the assassination with a lot of influential witnesses.(231)

• Tilson said he called the homicide office of the police department and reported the information on the car that afternoon.(232) He said he never heard any more from the Dallas police homicide squad about his report.(233) Tilson said he dept the slip of paper with the information his daughter had written.(234) Nevertheless, Tilson believes he threw it out about 3 1/2 years ago when he discarded many items in his home upon the death of his wife.(235) Tilson explained that he never followed up on the report with the homicide squad because of his perception that the homicide office was run as a kind of "elite," which resented any encroachment on its authority.(236)

43 minutes ago, Karl Hilliard said:

March 1979

•  

Ruby as a shooter eh?  Tilson seems to be spewing bs, "Ruby's twin" and more. 

Edited by Ron Bulman

In Josiah Thompson's "Last Second In Dallas", Thompson quotes a 2002 oral history by Olan DeGaugh, one of assassination witness Lee Bowers co-workers at the Union Terminal Railroad. DeGaugh said that Bowers shared details that hadn't been shared with the Warren Commission or in interviews with Mark Lane.

"Last Second In Dallas", pg. 66:

DeGaugh said, "Well, the day Kennedy was assassinated he [Bowers] was looking out the window and there was a car parked next to the board fence out here barely where the street ends and he saw someone holding the trunk of a car put something in it and drive off. And it had been assumed that it had been Oswald. It may have been Oswald." DeGaugh said the car "was a coupe of some kind... an old car.

On 1/31/2021 at 11:15 PM, Karl Hilliard said:

March 1979

•  

From that same link ....

• When Worrell testified before the Warren Commission on March 10, 1964, he said he was running along Houston Street when he saw the man "come bustling out of the door" of the depository.(120) At that time, Worrell described the man as 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 10 inches in height, weighing 155 to 165 pounds, in his early thirties, with brunette hair.(121) He was wearing a dark sports jacket, which was open, and light pants.(122) Worrell said the man came out of the "back entrance" of the depository building.(123)

• Richard Worrell died on November 5, 1966, in Dallas from severe head injuries sustained when his motorcycle went out of control.(124)

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/m_j_russ/worrell.htm

Couldn't find Mr James Richard Worrell Jr's Affidavit to the FBI 11/23/63

It has vanished from the mcadams link.