The Education Forum

Weisberg archive - not working?

Is anyone else finding that the Weisberg archive at Hood college doesn't work?

I can navigate there, click on folders, but there are never any files displayed or anything you can access. I don't know if it's broken, but I've been trying to access it for a week and find nothing but empty folders.

I read one of his unpublished manuscripts on the site a couple years ago (As I recall each chapter was there available as a separate Word document or PDF)

Now, I can't find any of his manuscripts on there.

@Rob Clark I know you've dug around extensively in the Weisberg archives -- any idea when the site stopped functioning?

1 hour ago, Chris Barnard said:

Do you have original url’s? As they might be backed up by the WayBack Machine. 

It's Hood College's archive, it isn't "down" or taken offline, it's just that the interface doesn't work any more.

So, it looks like it's supposed to still be "up" but for all intents and purposes it's useless because it's not working.

http://jfk.hood.edu/

Click "browse archive" on the left and you'll see what I mean

I suspect some kind of technical glitch that they may not be aware of at Hood college 

2 hours ago, Dan Rice said:

Nothing opens for me.  That's not good.

Right. It's completely broken. You can open a folder, but every folder there is empty.

I've also noticed that some folders are gone. For example, under Weisbergs manuscript there used to be folders for all the unpublished manuscripts and you could read them. I read one of his manuscripts there in 2019. It's gone now. 

Just a bunch of empty folders...

It seems it's just the interface on the website which is broken. You can still get to files here:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/

I wonder if this problem owes to the death of Gerald McKnight.

That archive was, from what I  understand, his baby.

36 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I wonder if this problem owes to the death of Gerald McKnight.

That archive was, from what I  understand, his baby.

I suspect it was hacked by Emma Best. She is an anarchist hacker and has uploaded millions of documents to archive.org, including uploading every document that resided in the Weisberg archive. 

Not long after she wrote a script to download everything from the Hood site and upload it to archive.org, to her own site there, it appears the Hood site stopped working.

I find it uncanny that the site was defaced and stops working around the same time a known anarchist hacker was in the process of copying all of it's contents to her own site.

She has also been involved with hacking Parler, Gab, GiveSendGo, and a number of other sites. She is involved in doxing people and releasing personal information, and also has slowed down FBI FOIA requests for legitimate researchers because she has filed thousands of FOIA requests, with her requests representing 5% of the FBI's backlog of FOIA requests. Her big thing is requesting the FBI files for all dead agents, she takes the FBI's list of deceased agents and then requests all the deceased agents' personal information and intends to post it online. 

As a result of her thousands of FOIA requests that she submitted in 2016, the FBI actually stopped taking FOIA requests via email!  They used to do that.  I had some outstanding requests back then, and what she was doing in 2016 was she wrote a computer script that would basically send an email to the FBI automatically--it would email the FBI a FOIA request and she integrated her script with a database of deceased FBI agents, and she ran the script. What happened next was the FBI received about 5,000 FOIA requests in a single day, all of them sent via email through this automated script she wrote.

Well, within a couple weeks of her script-FOIA project the FBI stopped accepting FOIA via email and required that requests be sent via snail mail. 

Best is a particularly disruptive figure. Allthough she did write a very good piece on Angleton, her real-life behavior is very troublesome and I expect she may end up in prison for the hacking she has participated in.

She also wrote a Garrison hit-job (see below). I think her position is that Clay Shaw was a poor gay man being persecuted for being gay... shades of Litwin. She's also friends with Mark Zaid who has helped her with FOIA lawsuits... Anyway, in her Garrison hit piece she pulls out the tired typical bullshit that suggest Garrison was indebted to the mafia and that the CMC stuff was KGB disinformation:

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2017/aug/02/jim-garrison-fbi-jfk/

I can't help but notice the Weisberg archive stopped working immediately after Best copied the contents of the archive ... and given her disruptive hacking endeavors I don't think it's a stretch to see a correlation between the site no longer working and the site having got her attention... 

Edited by Richard Booth

I was not aware of that aspect at all. 

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I was not aware of that aspect at all. 

Thanks.

I only became aware of it rather recently. I've been watching Emma Best on Twitter, given her recent hacking endeavors, and it was on her Twitter feed that I found the relationship between her and Mark Zaid and it was also from her Twitter feed that I found she had copied the entire Weisberg archive.

I recently discovered Best's reporting on MuckRock. She wrote a very good article about James Angleton's so-called retirement. I spent an afternoon reading all of her reporting there and that is where I came across her anti-Garrison stuff.  

It seems that she feels free to admit to her hacking endeavors -- admissions of crimes -- on Twitter because her targets are frequently far-right organizations: Parler, Gab, GiveSendGo. Based on this, it seems like she feels that her hacking endeavors are fully justified and you find her doing things like offering stolen databases to journalists on Twitter. What she doesn't realize is that even if your hacking targets are reprehensible people, that doesn't somehow make it not a crime to steal their databases and then offer it up on a public forum. It's almost as if she doesn't care about the legality of it because her targets are ideological opponents so it's justified.  I believe she will probably find herself going to prison if she continues to be so brazenly public about these hacks.

I discovered that the site was not working last weekend, and contacted Hood. They were initially unaware of the problem, but later told me the site had been attacked, and thought it was fixed mid-week. However, I discovered the same problem as Richard yesterday, so I will email the new Curator again today.

Will update this thread when I hear further from them.

10 hours ago, Chris Scally said:

I discovered that the site was not working last weekend, and contacted Hood. They were initially unaware of the problem, but later told me the site had been attacked, and thought it was fixed mid-week. However, I discovered the same problem as Richard yesterday, so I will email the new Curator again today.

Will update this thread when I hear further from them.

Thanks, Chris!

On 4/10/2021 at 3:18 AM, Richard Booth said:

It's Hood College's archive, it isn't "down" or taken offline, it's just that the interface doesn't work any more.

So, it looks like it's supposed to still be "up" but for all intents and purposes it's useless because it's not working.

http://jfk.hood.edu/

Click "browse archive" on the left and you'll see what I mean

I suspect some kind of technical glitch that they may not be aware of at Hood college 

Richard,

The search function off the main page seems to be working okay.

I did a quick search for Robert Castorr (Colonel). Here's a small item. The highlighting is mine:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/M%20Disk/Martin%20Shirley/Item%2024.pdf

image.png.6d41c4395fac3587dd8cfeea14425406.png 

Steve Thomas