The Education Forum

Interesting RFK Find.

While downsizing I came across a white plastic binder that apparently my wife had acquired years ago through some quirky means I assume.

She's visiting relatives and I haven't asked her about it.

She may have mentioned having this years ago before I got into the JFK area again when I retired. I had completely forgot about it until I found it three days ago.

On the cover are these typed labels:

Top half -

"Materials from the Presidential Primary Campaign of Robert F. Kennedy"

Bottom half -

"Removed from a campaign table at the Ambassador Hotel on June 5th, 1968, the site and date of Kennedy's assassination."

Upon opening there are maybe 20 to 30 items such as flyers, bumper sticker type banners. All RFK related. I believe these were probably available at the hotel that evening.

There are also two appreciation letters sent to RFK supporters in California signed by RFK. 

>>>>  CORRECTION - THEY ARE NOT SIGNED <<<<

There are other RFK and even JFK campaign flyers and other later political campaign items as well, such as a "George Wallace" campaign bumper sticker type decal.

How in the world my wife came across this binder of RFK political items is a fascinating mystery to me. I can't wait for her to return home so I can ask her about it.

Looking through the items taken from the Los Angeles Ambassador Hotel that tragic June evening in 1968 brings the event back in a much more real way.

Just thought I'd mention this interesting find.

Were multiple binders like this RFK one made? Maybe a money making deal?

Edited by Joe Bauer

43 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Downsizing after my recent heart attack, in case we have to move again due to Covid jobs losses and unemployment running out and not being able to afford these insane California rents anymore.

I came across a white plastic binder that apparently my wife had acquired years ago through some quirky means I assume.

She's visiting relatives and I haven't asked her about it.

She may have mentioned having this years ago before I got into the JFK area again when I retired. I had completely forgot about it until I found it three days ago.

On the cover are these typed labels:

Top half -

"Materials from the Presidential Primary Campaign of Robert F. Kennedy"

Bottom half -

"Removed from a campaign table at the Ambassador Hotel on June 5th, 1968, the site and date of Kennedy's assassination?

Upon opening there are maybe 20 to 30 items such as flyers, bumper sticker type banners. All RFK related. I believe these were probably available at the hotel that evening.

There are also two appreciation letters sent to RFK supporters in California signed by RFK. The signatures look real but who knows?

I looked on Ebay and these letters look just like other "real" ones sent to other supporters of RFK.

There are other RFK and even JFK campaign flyers and items as well. There's even a "George Wallace" campaign bumper sticker type decal.

How in the world my wife came across this binder of RFK political items is a fascinating mystery to me. I can't wait for her to return home so I can ask her about it.

Looking through the items taken from the Los Angeles Ambassador Hotel that tragic June evening in 1968 brings the event back in a much more real way.

Just thought I'd mention this interesting find.

Were multiple binders like this RFK one made? Maybe a money making deal?

Very cool find. 

I found a link that shows the advertisement "ticket" flyer to a RFK speaking event in L.A. May, 1968. There are two of these in the binder.

Notice the celebrities attending?

Angie Dickinson, Carol Channing, Gene Kelly, Henry Mancini, Sonny & Cher, Shirley McClain, Andy Williams, Gene Barry, Jerry Lewis, Alan King, Mahalia Jackson, Rosey Grier, etc.?

Robert F. Kennedy Original 1968 S.R.O. Rally Flyer .

Edited by Joe Bauer

12 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

I found a link that shows the advertisement "ticket" flyer to a RFK speaking event in L.A. May, 1968. There are two of these in the binder.

Notice the celebrities attending?

Angie Dickinson, Carol Channing, Gene Kelly, Henry Mancini, Sonny & Cher, Shirley McClain, Andy Williams, Gene Barry, Jerry Lewis, Alan King, Mahalia Jackson, Rosey Grier, etc.?

Robert F. Kennedy Original 1968 S.R.O. Rally Flyer ...

Also, the two RFK campaign appreciation letters look "exactly" like this one:
ROBERT F. KENNEDY AUTOPEN CAMPAIGN LETTER SIGNED RFK Vintage

You had me with Angie Dickinson.  They told me I had one five years ago after a test before a hernia operation, couldn't tell me when it happened (worse stressful moment ever?).  A silent one it's called.  I keep mowing, walking a mile by the almost dry river, still pretty there.  Though too hot in the summer unless you go early.

Hope your better and continue getting more so.

50 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

You had me with Angie Dickinson.  They told me I had one five years ago after a test before a hernia operation, couldn't tell me when it happened (worse stressful moment ever?).  A silent one it's called.  I keep mowing, walking a mile by the almost dry river, still pretty there.  Though too hot in the summer unless you go early.

Hope your better and continue getting more so.

Thank you Ron. I've had heart problems for years.

With this event they found a main artery 80% blocked. Put in a stent.

I don't know who was hotter...Angie Dickinson...or Carol Channing back then?

I had a thing for Channing. 

My wife told me that she was given the binder by a fellow who started a "collectible" gift shop on the main business/tourist street ( Alvarado ) in downtown Monterey, many years ago.

This guy was a collector and it was fun to look at the interesting items he had in his store. Years of collecting.

My wife used to frequent the shop. He had political buttons and she is a collector.

The shop only made it about a year before closing up. 

Not long before this fellow closed up, he engaged my shopping wife in national political campaign conversation which my wife is very interested in.

At some point he asked her if he could give her something. I assume it was kind of an appreciation gift to her for her shopping loyalty and friendly manner?

It was this binder. 

The shop owner told my wife that he was a volunteer on RFK's California primary campaign and that he was inside the ballroom of the Ambassador hotel in Los Angeles during the shooting of RFK there. He was manning a campaign brochure table there.

Amidst the chaos and grief and when everyone started to leave after RFK was taken to the hospital, he grabbed what he could of the campaign material left on the table.

Eventually ( many years later ) he put many of these into binders. The one he gave my wife is one. She didn't recall whether this fellow said he had more than one though.

That is the story as to how my wife obtained the RFK California primary campaign binder with material present at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles the night of RFK's shooting there.

Edited by Joe Bauer

• 2 weeks later...