The Education Forum

Morley v CIA: A Painful Case

Jeff Morley's book about his unsuccessful lawsuit for the classified Joannides file is about more than just that lawsuit,  

Its also about the culture of the Washington Post in relation to the JFK case.  And about how decades of The Federalist Society has completely altered the judiciary system to the point that they have little qualm about overturning precedent. In his case this was done through Richard Leon and Brett Kavanaugh. In the appendix, Morley includes the dissenting opinion of Karen Henderson which shows that in overturning precedent, neither the facts of the case, nor the law really mattered: its like the JFK Act was just shunted aside. George is having a pleasant time wherever he is right now. Thirty years after his death and the Federalist Society is still keeping his secrets.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-reviews/morley-v-cia

12 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Jeff Morley's book about his unsuccessful lawsuit for the classified Joannides file is about more than just that lawsuit,  

Its also about the culture of the Washington Post in relation to the JFK case.  And about how decades of The Federalist Society has completely altered the judiciary system to the point that they have little qualm about overturning precedent. In his case this was done through Richard Leon and Brett Kavanaugh. In the appendix, Morley includes the dissenting opinion of Karen Henderson which shows that in overturning precedent, neither the facts of the case, nor the law really mattered: its like the JFK Act was just shunted aside. George is having a pleasant time wherever he is right now. Thirty years after his death and the Federalist Society is still keeping his secrets.

This is so dispiriting. 

And the D-Party had little interest in the little GOP-hack judge Kavanaugh's support of state censorship and suppression of documents that the public deserves to see. 

But the Donks had an oceanic interest in Kavanaugh's activities at a high-school beer party, where 30-odd years earlier he might, or might not have, pawed a girl. 

"ON A MONDAY AFTERNOON, on July 9 (2018), the D.C. Court of Appeals handed down a 2-1 decision against me (Jeff Morley) and in favor of the CIA in a long-running Freedom of Information Act lawsuit. At 4:20 p.m., Judges Brett Kavanaugh and Gregory Katsas, a Trump appointee, filed a 14-page opinion with the clerk of the court in Washington. They ruled that the CIA had acted “reasonably” in responding to my request for certain ancient files related to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963. Appended to their decision was a 17-page dissent from their colleague Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson who strongly objected to their decision."--The Intercept.

You can't make this stuff up. 

I really do not understand this.

If the JFK Act was supposed to release everything, then should not that be a very strong factor for disclosure?

Yes, correct, during the Kavanaugh hearing this did not come up at all.

And this is why the CIA and FBI are so arrogant about secrecy.

14 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Out standing!  Thank you Jim.  Jeff has been a hero of mine for years in the search for the Truth.  He and Jim Lesear have confronted the establishment legally so importantly regarding Joannides.  This is a must read article for any concerned, so much detail.  

Thanks Ron.   I thought it was  interesting about his experience at The Post.

They somehow didn't think the Joannides revelations were a story.  The CIA brings back the DRE operations leader to stymie the HSCA, and lies about what he was doing in 1963.  And they didn't think it was worth pursuing via FOIA either.

But somehow they did think attacking Oliver Stone's JFK six months before it debuted in theaters was worth a lengthy story, which was really an attack article..  And BTW, that particular story was approved by Bradlee himself. You know, JFK's close friend. (Yeah sure.)

Edited by James DiEugenio

I wanted to re read part of the article before making another comment but it says (3x) "Hmm can't reach this page" when I click the K & K link above now.  Wondering if anyone else had this problem?

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

I wanted to re read part of the article before making another comment but it says (3x) "Hmm can't reach this page" when I click the K & K link above now.  Wondering if anyone else had this problem?

Ron,

I just finished reading the article at K&K.  Interesting stuff.

Morley's career seems somewhat enigmatic to me, mainly because he has worked for the Washington Post and I've tended to think of WaPo as the quintessential mouthpiece of the CIA-- since the days of Phillip and Katherine Graham (and, more recently, Jeff Bezos' $640 million dollar contract with Langley.)

Ben Bradlee was Operation Mockingbird Director Cord Meyer's brother-in-law, and was also, apparently, a friend of CIA exec Wistar Janney.  Bob Woodward was a Yale Bulldog who ended up working for U.S. Naval Intelligence before being hired by Bradlee, etc.

Bob Woodward, apparently, encouraged Morley's FOIA endeavor in the Johannides case, while the Post put the kibosh on the story.

Hard to believe that Woodward actually approved of Morley's investigation of the CIA's classified files on Johannides and the DRE.

Edited by W. Niederhut

32 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

First, I'm still getting the same thing, further saying K & K took too long to respond?

Second, W, I don't remember details, it's been several years since I read a little bit about it somewhere, possibly incorrect but I thought Jeff left the Wa Po in part at least in frustration over his work not being taken seriously.  Maybe suppressed by Bradlee?  IDK, probably shouldn't speculate from memory.  Jane Roman and Joannides are historic work as well as that on Win Scott and Angleton. 

On 6/28/2021 at 10:06 AM, James DiEugenio said:

Given the number of pages still withheld on Joannidies it makes one wonder.  Why.  What is still so important about him to current National Security that the CIA is so obstinate about stonewalling the release of them.  I can't see a "smoking gun" revealing all the details and names involved in New Orleans.  But if it's important enough to still keep secret from the American People who they theoretically work for it must implicate someone, some organization.

After (almost finally) finishing Larry Hancock's Tipping Point it makes me wonder further about Joannidies though he doesn't really address him in depth.

I wonder if Jeff and Larry's work might possibly dovetail in some respects.  Larry introduces (to me) the Rodriguez family.  Was Oswald sent to Alfonso seeking to learn Spanish?  If he sent him to Biruenger for evaluation by the DRE?  The family affiliation with the CIA of Alfonso Sr and Jr along with maybe especially Emilio is intriguing.  Affiliation with Morales and Phillips make it more so.  Recording the "debate" and it's distribution.  Joannides did work with, distribute funds to the DRE and received positive reviews for this work.

Joannidies maintained a residence in N O  in the summer of 63, while he lived and worked in Miami at JMWAVE.  A safe house?  For meeting with and paying funds to the DRE and others?

All behind the scene from Bannister, 544 Camp street, Ferrie, Shaw and others used by . . .  

Edited by Ron Bulman

Its Ok now Ron.

William, I think that was in 64.  To make sure the lid stayed on.

On 6/29/2021 at 11:30 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Given the number of pages still withheld on Joannidies it makes one wonder.  Why.  What is still so important about him to current National Security that the CIA is so obstinate about stonewalling the release of them.  I can't see a "smoking gun" revealing all the details and names involved in New Orleans.  But if it's important enough to still keep secret from the American People who they theoretically work for it must implicate someone, some organization.

After (almost finally) finishing Larry Hancock's Tipping Point it makes me wonder further about Joannidies though he doesn't really address him in depth.

I wonder if Jeff and Larry's work might possibly dovetail in some respects.  Larry introduces (to me) the Rodriguez family.  Was Oswald sent to Alfonso seeking to learn Spanish?  If he sent him to Biruenger for evaluation by the DRE?  The family affiliation with the CIA of Alfonso Sr and Jr along with maybe especially Emilio is intriguing.  Affiliation with Morales and Phillips make it more so.  Recording the "debate" and it's distribution.  Joannides did work with, distribute funds to the DRE and received positive reviews for this work.

Joannidies maintained a residence in N O  in the summer of 63, while he lived and worked in Miami at JMWAVE.  A safe house?  For meeting with and paying funds to the DRE and others?

All behind the scene from Bannister, 544 Camp street, Ferrie, Shaw and others used by . . .  

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here but I think it's important.  New Orleans is probably worth it's own thread or even a book.  Jim, you know more about it overall than anyone especially on Garrison/Shaw/Ferrie/Bannister and more.  Jeff's discoveries about Joannidies add to, maybe clarify (?) yet complicate what was happening in the summer of 1963.  Then Larry Hancock gives us the Rodriguez family, both of the boys and dad are very interesting in relation to the big picture.  Oswald seeking out Alfonso Jr for Spanish lessons, then never taking them.  But referred by AJ to Birunger regarding Castro.

A strange or witches brew in Cajun parlance.

Jim, Larry, and Jeff (though I know he's not done so in many years here), any thought's greatly appreciated.  Along with those of several others.

Or the more popular original.

Cream - Strange Brew - YouTube