The Education Forum

Born On The Fourth Of July

Happy Fourth of July to my fellow Americans.  Grilled T-bones and fireworks later here.  Skipped the parade yesterday, rain, they had it any way.

The story goes that in 1988 Oliver Stone was diving down 2 lane country (no kidding) John Mc Cain Rd. in Colleyville, Texas.  He noticed a house about a hundred yards off the road he thought would be perfect for a few scenes in an up coming movie he was doing.  He sent a rep to the door a few days later.  My friends Val and Sabra told him they only rented the house.  The owner was contacted, arrangements were made.  They put Val and Sabra up in the Grapevine Hilton for I think about four days and paid for meals and a hundred dollars or two a day for their inconvenience.  Val went back one day to get something out of a shed out back while filming was going on.  While heading to his shed, out of a motor home parked out back stepped Tom Cruise.  Who asked, who are you?  Val told him his name, said I live here, just needed my whatever it was out of the shed.  Cruise said "Oh" and came over and shook his hand and said nice to meet you.  Then he turned and went for a walk down the dirt road towards Bear Creek.

The house was used in the scene where Cruse, as Ron Kovick goes to the home of the parents of a fellow soldier to tell them their son died from friendly fire.

"We don't want your F....... - Stinkin War."

Great movie.  I remember that scene well.

Incidentally, I bought a DVD anthology* of Oliver Stone's movies several years ago, after watching (and reading) The Untold History of the United States.

Every movie in the set is a gem, and most of them are based on real life narratives, like Born on the Fourth of July, Salvador, Talk Radio, Heaven and Earth, etc.

Highly recommended.

Amazon.com: The Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection (Salvador / Platoon / Wall Street / Talk Radio / Born on the Fourth of July / JFK Director's Cut / The Doors / Heaven and Earth / Natural Born Killers / Nixon / U-Turn / Any Given Sunday Director's Cut): Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, Willem Dafoe, Woody Harrelson, Juliette Lewis, Al Pacino, Dennis Quaid, Val Kilmer, Meg Ryan, Michael Douglas, Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman, Charles Kiselyak, Oliver Stone, Christopher Wilkinson, Daniel Pyne, David Veloz, James Hayslip, Jay Wurts, Jim Garrison: Movies & TV

But William, here is the real question:

Are you going to Cannes to watch JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass on July13th?

23 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Are you going to Cannes to watch JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass on July13th?

I'm not W but the bigger question is are you?  It is in large part your doings in the first place.  Destiny Betrayed on the big screen.  Thanks for it all, no matter when we eventually get to see it.

10 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I wish.  My wife and I haven't taken a European vacation for over a decade.

We used to get free tickets every year or two when my sister-in-law worked for American Airlines back in the day.