The Education Forum

We Should All Read This Review Of Jim D's & Oliver Stone's New JFK Film "Through The Looking Glass."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much. 

Finn, the Screen Daily writer, mentioned to me that was tough to distil the scope of the film into a review (her words) but she’s happy that people appreciate what she wrote about it. It’s one of the few seemingly honest reviews I’ve read about the movie so far. Most others bring their axe to grind.

I'm sure this film is gonna do just fine. I wouldn't sweat weird reviews made by randos; we live in an age where people have access to any opinion they want if they're looking for something to confirm their bias. Ultimately it will stand on its own, and knowing that Mr. Stone and Jim put it together means the odds are that it will be outstanding.

At least Oliver won't have to deal with the BS he did 30 years ago; I will never forget walking into the grocery store and seeing that Newsweek cover blaring hysterics as if people were going to go blind by watching JFK.

The daily Beast review is really weird.

I mean to go after a film because you did not like its animation?  (I kind of liked the effects)

Or the fact that most of the experts were white males?   

That is not criticism.  Its a way to avoid what the film is saying. 

Jim - do you agree with this reviewers opinion that the soundtrack is jarring? Curious. Many years ago I worked for Jeff Beale before he hit the big time. 

17 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Thanks Gil.

Denny, you can understand that when Oliver gets back I will ask him to reply to Daily Beast and Variety.

Its so weird.  Almost all the reviews in Europe are positive.  

Yes, and, unfortunately, the absurd reviews in the Daily Beast and Variety are getting a lot of amplification on social media.

Of course, those two reviewers could simply be idiots, but their scurrilous work sounds more like black propaganda to me, written by Mockingbird sub-contractors.

The piece by Owen What's-His-Face at Variety is, basically, a superficial reductio ad absurdum, in which he describes the film as simultaneously fact-based and delusional (i.e., "grandiose.")  How can it be delusional if it's based on facts-- i.e., reality?

The Daily Beast hit piece is essentially a mainstream media CIA sound byte about "crackpot conspiracy theories."

What else would we expect from the jackals who have been controlling the false M$M narrative about JFK's murder for the past 57 years?

Edited by W. Niederhut

6 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Jim - do you agree with this reviewers opinion that the soundtrack is jarring? Curious. Many years ago I worked for Jeff Beale before he hit the big time. 

No I don't.  I am not a musicologist, but I thought Jeff's music was appropriate.

The Daily Beast was a hit piece, and it was designed that way for reasons I have explained elsewhere and Mr Phelps did not seem to understand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 12:45 AM, James DiEugenio said:

Or the fact that most of the experts were white males?   

Well, that is where we are today. Of course it is absurd, but nevertheless it's where we are.

Let us wait for the "woke" CIA version which like it's recent recruitment ad will surely feature latinx and lgbt folks attesting to their newfound comprehensive understanding of the single bullet theory, with a diverse range of culturally-sensitive shills whose gender and racial identity surely trumps the expertise of Cyril Wecht or David Mantik. After all, those are just evil white men.

Nice one Richard.  Where did that word woke come from? Tucker Carlson?

7 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Nice one Richard.  Where did that word woke come from? Tucker Carlson?

I'm not sure. I first heard it in 2016, my partner at the time used it. She was 24 and I hadn't heard it before. She told me that I was "woke" and not in a derogatory way. I think it started out as a non-derogatory term and has morphed.

I'm gonna say the kids started it and now the old fogeys use it in a sneering manner.

Edited by Richard Booth

I greatly admire Oliver Stone's work but I have a criticism of the trailor. The single bullet theory is old topic that has been obfuscated and has just the sufficient amount of plausibility to hang around. I just feel it isn't the slam dunk of a debunking that researchers try to portray. 

Far better, in my eyes is the voluminous evidence of a large rear hole in JFK's head, and the persuasive evidence of its cover up. I would have preferred the trailer to lead with that. 

Eddy:

That sequence is just the beginning of our demolition of CE 399.  One of my objectives in writing the script was this: From here on in whenever anybody even mentions CE 399 everyone will giggle. And that is what we did. Remember what Mantik says about it being foundational to the HSCA and WC.  Well, we will show that there was no foundation to it. It was all lies.

Believe me the hole in the rear of Kennedy's head is in there also.