The Education Forum

Hollywood Media Self-Punking? Project Mockingbird Not Needed?

Hollywood Media Self-Punking? Project Mockingbird Not Needed

For those of you unacquainted, broadly defined Project Mockingbird was a successful CIA operation to convert US journalists and news organizations into security-state apparatchiks, post-war through the 1970s. 

Due to state secrecy, no one outside the intel community anymore knows how extensive are modern-day equivalents of Project Mockingbird. 

The JFKA research community has been long a favorite target of this weaponized US media, with even earnest scholars made to look like unhinged conspiracy nuts. 

But maybe the CIA is hands-off now—no need. Perhaps the Hollywood media is self-punking.  

How else to explain this insipid review of Oliver Stone’s new documentary that appeared in Variety, one of the news pillars of Tinseltown: JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass’ Review: Oliver Stone Doubles Down on the Mother of All Conspiracy Theories

Yes, Oliver Stone is again presented as an unhinged conspiracy theorist, by the Variety reviewer of celluloid Owen Gleiberman. 

One could write a book about this wretched descent by a Variety pixil-packer into self-reverential hubris, state-toadyism and disinformation. 

But where to start? 

This one sentence from the review just boggles the mind: “And if you watch (the Zapruder film) his (JFK’s) hands up at his throat just beforehand and watch Texas Gov. John Connally’s movements, the timing and flow of the magic-bullet theory line up perfectly.”

Huh?

Well, except that JFK puts his balled fists toward his throat around frame 225, and Connally does a 180-degree turn in his seat after that, to look back at JFK, as seen in frame 280. (Reminder, the Z-film runs at about 18 frames per second). Connally recounted on the record to the Warren Commission, and to anyone else, that after JFK was struck by the first shot, the Governor turned around to try to see the President.  As indisputably verified by the Z film. 

Among many, many other delusions, the single-bullet theorists posit Connally had a bullet rip through his chest, fracture his right wrist, pierce his right thigh, but then a concerned Connally turned around to look at JFK. This is indisputably the single-bullet thesis. 

However, not only do Connally and his wife remember the Governor being concerned and turning around to check on JFK after the first audible shot—but that the Governor was immediately incapacitated upon being struck by the second shot. 

Oh, you think? You think a bullet through the chest would immediately incapacitate a man? But hey, what do the Connallys know? They were only there. 

Owen Gleiberman, who has spent a professional lifetime debating the merits of fictional films, sets the record straight on the JFKA—and how does Gleiberman know so much? 

Well...once suspicious about the JFKA, Gleiberman writes he had an epiphany after he confronted “new evidence and analysis like the kind presented in Gerald Posner’s 1993 book Case Closed.”

Oh, dear. No, I am not making this up. 

Like I said, there is no end to the premises, disinformation and inanities in the Variety film review, and it would take a lengthy footnoted tome to accurately rebut them all. 

However, one of my concerns is that the JFKA community sometimes ventures onto squishy ground, and that gives critics a stony foothold. Gleiberman notes the haziness around whether anyone could have seen Lee Harvey Oswald on the stairway, in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA. 

To my friends, I say the JFKA community has so much rock-solid indisputable evidence, we nary need bring into the picture evidence that can be challenged. 

Leave that to the FBI, and their manufacturing of CE 399. Another topic Gleiberman knows nothing about. 

But in the end, the trenchant question is this: Has Hollywood media punked itself, or is intel community influence still at work? 

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Hollywood Media Self-Punking? Project Mockingbird Not Needed

For those of you unacquainted, broadly defined Project Mockingbird was a successful CIA operation to convert US journalists and news organizations into security-state apparatchiks, post-war through the 1970s. 

Due to state secrecy, no one outside the intel community anymore knows how extensive are modern-day equivalents of Project Mockingbird. 

The JFKA research community has been long a favorite target of this weaponized US media, with even earnest scholars made to look like unhinged conspiracy nuts. 

But maybe the CIA is hands-off now—no need. Perhaps the Hollywood media is self-punking.  

How else to explain this insipid review of Oliver Stone’s new documentary that appeared in Variety, one of the news pillars of Tinseltown: JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass’ Review: Oliver Stone Doubles Down on the Mother of All Conspiracy Theories

Yes, Oliver Stone is again presented as an unhinged conspiracy theorist, by the Variety reviewer of celluloid Owen Gleiberman. 

One could write a book about this wretched descent by a Variety pixil-packer into self-reverential hubris, state-toadyism and disinformation. 

But where to start? 

This one sentence from the review just boggles the mind: “And if you watch (the Zapruder film) his (JFK’s) hands up at his throat just beforehand and watch Texas Gov. John Connally’s movements, the timing and flow of the magic-bullet theory line up perfectly.”

Huh?

Well, except that JFK puts his balled fists toward his throat around frame 225, and Connally does a 180-degree turn in his seat after that, to look back at JFK, as seen in frame 280. (Reminder, the Z-film runs at about 18 frames per second). Connally recounted on the record to the Warren Commission, and to anyone else, that after JFK was struck by the first shot, the Governor turned around to try to see the President.  As indisputably verified by the Z film. 

Among many, many other delusions, the single-bullet theorists posit Connally had a bullet rip through his chest, fracture his right wrist, pierce his right thigh, but then a concerned Connally turned around to look at JFK. This is indisputably the single-bullet thesis. 

However, not only do Connally and his wife remember the Governor being concerned and turning around to check on JFK after the first audible shot—but that the Governor was immediately incapacitated upon being struck by the second shot. 

Oh, you think? You think a bullet through the chest would immediately incapacitate a man? But hey, what do the Connallys know? They were only there. 

Owen Gleiberman, who has spent a professional lifetime debating the merits of fictional films, sets the record straight on the JFKA—and how does Gleiberman know so much? 

Well...once suspicious about the JFKA, Gleiberman writes he had an epiphany after he confronted “new evidence and analysis like the kind presented in Gerald Posner’s 1993 book Case Closed.”

Oh, dear. No, I am not making this up. 

Like I said, there is no end to the premises, disinformation and inanities in the Variety film review, and it would take a lengthy footnoted tome to accurately rebut them all. 

However, one of my concerns is that the JFKA community sometimes ventures onto squishy ground, and that gives critics a stony foothold. Gleiberman notes the haziness around whether anyone could have seen Lee Harvey Oswald on the stairway, in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA. 

To my friends, I say the JFKA community has so much rock-solid indisputable evidence, we nary need bring into the picture evidence that can be challenged. 

Leave that to the FBI, and their manufacturing of CE 399. Another topic Gleiberman knows nothing about. 

But in the end, the trenchant question is this: Has Hollywood media punked itself, or is intel community influence still at work? 

Perhaps, after almost 60 years, the MSM is now successfully conditioned into perpetuating the objectives of Operation Mockingbird. 

5 hours ago, Robert Burrows said:

Perhaps, after almost 60 years, the MSM is now successfully conditioned into perpetuating the objectives of Operation Mockingbird. 

Oh, don't get me started. 

In the past several decades, large enterprises, often embedded in even larger multinational conglomerates, have come to control probably 99% of consumed news. 

An unholy alliance among captured and aligned media, coprolitic political parties, the national security state and multinationals. 

Perhaps 1% of news is produced by the marginalized, whackos, gadflies, extremists and, rarely, a few smart independent people. 

I am in some of the latter groups. 

Well, as I said in the original forum thread on this topic, there seems to be a lot black propaganda disparaging Oliver Stone and JFK Revisited in our mainstream media-- including the deployment of old-fashioned CIA sound-bytes about "crackpot conspiracy theorists," etc.

Perhaps we should re-phrase the question.

What does it take to kill a Mockingbird?

GHWB proclaimed back in the Church Committee era that the CIA was killing Mockingbird.

But does anyone around here believe that really happened? 

Just look at the ongoing suppression of the truth about JFK's assassination in our mainstream media since the late 70s.

IMO, the Mockingbird is alive and well.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Couple of thoughts. I have little doubt that major and minor media outlets are still assets of the ‘deep state’ when needed. It’s also true that negative coverage of real conspiracy fact is self perpetuating, because journalists are protecting their employment. 
I heard an hour long show on Project Censored (KPFA) yesterday looking at the increasingly popular blogs, and in particular ‘left’ or ‘prog’ blogs. I recalled how uncomfortable I was listening to Jimmy Dore, during the Trump presidency, criticizing Democrats. After all we had a monster in the WH, and we needed to get him out. What possible good could come from examining the marginalizing of Bernie Sanders? Well, that’s where we are now. Major media is completely partisan, and I simply cannot watch CNN or MSNBC anymore. I can barely read The NY Times. The only place where there is anything resembling freedom of the press is in the ‘1% of the news produced by the marginalized ….. 

Mockingbird assets were (are) simply individuals who will write a slanted story on CIA request. 

On 7/16/2021 at 10:17 PM, Robert Burrows said:

That's more realistic Robert. We're doing kind of movie review mania here. And many of the reviews aren't worth bringing here, much less having their own thread. Still it's fun to compare,  Imo.

I'm sorry W. but I think this tendency to pass this off as "operation mocking bird" is really just folly. , Paul  said: "Mockingbird assets were (are) simply individuals who will write a slanted story on CIA request".  i think the operative word is "were". I don't see the CIA getting directly involved in propaganda behind the release of "Through the looking glass." Or at least, the overall effect is negllgible. They've pretty much sewed this up 30 years ago. 

And as for Hollywood and the media and their reviews. Does anybody here really think that any of these reviewers are being dictated by the mighty editors on high on what to write? I think that just B.S. It has nothing to do with some monolithic industry wide viewpoint Hollywood is selling. Those notions  lead to a lot of irrational fears and aren't productive at all.

It's simply been institutionalized. The great majority of people now living were born after the JFKA. Of the people  born before the assassination 1963, an even greater minority were not even at intelligible age to have any idea what was really going on in 11/63. In successive generations, they were brought up with parents where the JFKA  was a distant memory and later were brought up with parents who weren't even born by that time. They were brought up with teachers  in grade school and later in college who had largely either forgotten about it, or  have accepted all the precepts of the WC.

Oliver Stone: ‘There’s still a presence out there reminding people not to speak about JFK’s killing’

This sort of Stone self dramatization  is great at getting people's blood running and rallying the troops and I know Jim has followed right in suit for years with this type of rally cry. Personally I think it's more b.s. for the masses, though I'm sure they believe it..   To me Stone's always been a bit of a drama queen. But still I very much respect him. Hey people are complex for chrissake!  I don't even think Stone would  quarrel about his penchant to dramatize. It would be hard not to. He's taken a lot of guff.

But among modern day mainstream journalists,  Nobody has any real "fear"  of discussing he JFKA But, for the vast majority,  as an investigative piece either they've been  totally snowed by their upbringing, their parents, their early schooling,and  the interpretation their college journalism professors have given them, or they're somewhat agnostic and  it's just a rabbit hole, and the chances of any real investigative journalistic success to them are bleak and after all, it was 60 years ago! Blah blah

My advice to JFKA researchers to advance the cause is to realize that you really have to win is a war of ideas. For once and for all, get over the fact that people could actually disagree with you and stop villainizing them. Drop all the whiny victimization and go out on an equal footing, stick to the facts  and get your point across  to everyday people, or as they use to  say in my generation "cut you hair and get out there". This advice will largely be ignored because there's such a temptation among some JFKA researchers to martyrdom.

I might end this on an encouraging note. It does seem that more people are accepting that the WR is very flawed, and more people are questioning that LHO was a lone gunman, and that is progress!

P.S.  Benjamin, as to the  "unholy alliance among captured and aligned media, coprolitic political parties, the national security state and multinationals.' Yes I agree, but I think you have to make more distinctions. The political parties change, witness the Republican party with Trump, and all the instruments of government you've listed can change if an informed electorate elected the right people. The process I tried to delineate was an organic movement over time of the everyday people becoming less informed and abdicating their responsibilities, though to be clear, I am in sympathy. When you subtract the government agencies you've listed the only thing remaining are  the multi nationals and their ownership of the media.  It's not even an alliance anymore. Nobody needs to lift a finger now at some new movie about an historic incident 50 years ago. I think it's important to realize that the  people who are conspiring against us don't even meet and don't even  conspire, they just naturally think alike.
Edited by Kirk Gallaway

43 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

That's more realistic Robert. We're doing kind of movie review mania here. And many of the reviews aren't worth bringing here, much less having their own thread. Still it's fun to compare,  Imo.

I'm sorry W. but I think this tendency to pass this off as "operation mocking bird" is really just folly. , Paul  said: "Mockingbird assets were (are) simply individuals who will write a slanted story on CIA request".  i think the operative word is "were". I don't see the CIA getting directly involved in propaganda behind the release of "Through the looking glass." Or at least, the overall effect is negllgible. They've pretty much sewed this up 30 years ago. 

Kirk,

Operation Mockingbird was always predicated on CIA contracts with media moguls (Paley, Sulzberger, Graham, et.al.) and individual journalists.

Judging from hit pieces like the Daily Beast "crackpot conspiracy theorist" review of Oliver Stone's new film, it looks like the Mockingbird contract model is still operational.

Not enough has been written about the subject since the Church Committee era, when Colby spilled the Mockingbird beans to Congress and Carl Bernstein published his famous article in Rolling Stone.

One notable exception was Udo Ulfkotte's Mockingbird expose in Europe, prior to his untimely death.

Former Newspaper Editor Who Exposed CIA Found Dead

Former editor of largest newspaper in Germany revealed the CIA pays journalists in Germany, France, Britain, Australia and New Zealand to plant fake stories - and the CIA is trying to bring war to Russia

https://newspunch.com/german-newspaper-editor-exposed-cia-dead/

January 15, 2017

Kirk: “…all the instruments of government you've listed can change if an informed electorate elected the right people.”

Is that an operative construct anymore? Was it ever? Our countries may appear relatively stable, but many examples in Latin America show an entrenched conservative minority of private interests overwhelming or dulling democratic impulses time and again. And successful reforms under constant pressure.

Does it not seem, correspondingly, in the stable democracies there is secret veto power against the will of the people, should it be necessary? Many have argued the JFKA was a form of that - ugly and extreme as that may have been. Today in USA there are checks on reformist impulses through legislated gerrymandering and unlimited campaign contributions, neither of which were grassroots initiatives. In the Commonwealth countries - like UK and Canada - the written constitutions have language which allows the Queen’s representatives to dissolve a sitting government, and this actually happened in Australia in 1975. Lacking countervailing power blocs prepared to create a new system if necessary, an informed electorate can only achieve limited results (lesson from New Deal era).

Personally, I believe there is still a very cozy relationship between the media and CIA as well as with Hollywood. I’ve seen too much pro-CIA propaganda in the press and TV/movies not to believe that.

(Classic example - Wapo ran a story on the Starbucks inside Langley near the 50th anniversary of Warren Report release.  It was reposted everywhere:   https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/at-cia-starbucks-even-the-baristas-are-covert/2014/09/27/5a04cd28-43f5-11e4-9a15-137aa0153527_story.html )

If we agree that the CIA’s unaccountable power and influence on  American society was solidified in the years following the JFK assassination, then it would only make sense that it continues.

And while the conspirators are long dead, I do believe the CIA is actively involved in preserving its power and existence by suppressing the final JFK documents, changing the topic or confusing the public on the assassination whenever it can, and constantly promoting itself as an essential American institution no matter how much undemocratic mayhem it has caused throughout its history.

Edited by Michaleen Kilroy

Here's a reference for those who are wondering whether CIA Director George H.W. Bush actually killed the Mockingbird, as advertised, in the 70s.

Ulfkotte's original book, Gekaufte Journalisten, was published in Germany in 2014 and became a major bestseller, despite being completely blacklisted by the mainstream media in the EU.

The original 2017 English translation, Bought Journalists, was never made available in the U.S. market.

An English edition of the book was finally published in 2019 as Presstitutes-- Embedded in the Pay of the CIA.

Presstitutes Embedded in the Pay of the CIA: A Confession from the Profession

https://www.amazon.com/Presstitutes-Embedded-Pay-CIA-Confession/dp/1615770178/ref=pd_sbs_1/147-0355117-5616453?pd_rd_w=NtvUh&pf_rd_p=f8e24c42-8be0-4374-84aa-bb08fd897453&pf_rd_r=8JDD3SYKFX3A4MQ01H4P&pd_rd_r=7224c4be-10f3-4252-b08b-90b12ec207e1&pd_rd_wg=zl98h&pd_rd_i=1615770178&psc=1

39 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Here's a reference for those who are wondering whether CIA Director George H.W. Bush actually killed the Mockingbird, as advertised, in the 70s.

Ulfkotte's original book, Gekaufte Journalisten, was published in Germany in 2014 and became a major bestseller, despite being completely blacklisted by the mainstream media in the EU.

The original 2017 English translation, Bought Journalists, was never made available in the U.S. market.

An English edition of the book was finally published in 2019 as Presstitutes-- Embedded in the Pay of the CIA.

https://www.amazon.com/Presstitutes-Embedded-Pay-CIA-Confession/dp/1615770178/ref=pd_sbs_1/147-0355117-5616453?pd_rd_w=NtvUh&pf_rd_p=f8e24c42-8be0-4374-84aa-bb08fd897453&pf_rd_r=8JDD3SYKFX3A4MQ01H4P&pd_rd_r=7224c4be-10f3-4252-b08b-90b12ec207e1&pd_rd_wg=zl98h&pd_rd_i=1615770178&psc=1

W. Niederhut:

Thanks for bringing this book to our attention. 

Obviously, "the media" is a large blob, with many variations. Books like this are a window.

It is impossible to know how extensive CIA, or other military intel, grooming of the media is today.  

But judging from results....

On 7/17/2021 at 12:05 PM, Jeff Carter said:

Kirk: “…all the instruments of government you've listed can change if an informed electorate elected the right people.”

Is that an operative construct anymore? Was it ever? Our countries may appear relatively stable, but many examples in Latin America show an entrenched conservative minority of private interests overwhelming or dulling democratic impulses time and again. And successful reforms under constant pressure.

Does it not seem, correspondingly, in the stable democracies there is secret veto power against the will of the people, should it be necessary? Many have argued the JFKA was a form of that - ugly and extreme as that may have been. Today in USA there are checks on reformist impulses through legislated gerrymandering and unlimited campaign contributions, neither of which were grassroots initiatives. In the Commonwealth countries - like UK and Canada - the written constitutions have language which allows the Queen’s representatives to dissolve a sitting government, and this actually happened in Australia in 1975. Lacking countervailing power blocs prepared to create a new system if necessary, an informed electorate can only achieve limited results (lesson from New Deal era).

Well I certainly concur with you about Latin America Jeff.

As far as secret veto power? Maybe you're right? It's useless  We're completely f--k--!. and so are our kids.
But in the United States we're not even near getting a consensus to put anything on a ballot. Polling shows over and over, Most people here don't vote in their interest.
74 million people voted for Trump though he's not in the majority in any major polling topics except he had an edge over Biden on the economy.

It's not just the government Jeff. Just because we're the  wealthiest, most powerful nation in the history of the world, don't overestimate us!  I  know you don't.
We don't need a highly evolved  deep state to be able to repress us. We offer almost no opposition. As far as true oppressors, the elites, we aid them.

With most of these people  storming the capitol, there's absolutely no personal interest in these  guys voting Republican..
In this tragic death  of  Ashli Babbitt  who was killed at the riots trying to break in a door in the capitol. She actually obtained   a credit card at 44% annual interest to finance her trip to Washington. Just another unwitting victim turned reluctant corporate shill. Have any of these people ever heard of Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren? These are truly anti elite candidates that have actually campaigned in their interest!

And the people that get elected. For example,  Senator Ted Cruz's has got a self righteous, sanctimonious,  smarmy  sort of corn pone style, and  does nothing in the Senate but piss people of both parties off, and yet he's gets re elected. Texas  also has an attorney general no less, whose been under indictment for 5 years and gets reelected. How can they get re elected?, because Texans really eat this sh-t up! They say thing may be  changing. We'll see.

They have a congressman Louie Gohmert, (another mask adverse covid denier who caught covid) who actually asked the chief deputy of the Forest Service if we could alter the path of the earth's orbit around the sun to effect climate change!   Of course he's just a congressman, but  some elected officials in the U.S. you just wouldn't believe. They have a governor whose whose a threatening slave driver.  Ok, It's not fair to just pick on some elected officials in Texas. I'm only beating up on them because it's so easy.  But we and now have all of these representatives from many states just straight faced lying in knots and retracting  their first statements about 1/6 Capitol riots just to please Trump.

Also of course the U.S. defense state and war machine is a scourge throughout the world and a major topic of agreement here. It would seem that the MICs all powerful, but there's really a lot of public  complicity. There are whole cities with economies that live on  defense, mostly in red states where the federal defense appropriations are a higher percentage of their smaller economies. The American people aren't as peacenik as you and I Jeff. That doesn't even fall in the category of "implementing the public will" because cutting defense is not a high priority."

Because Americans don't vote in their interests and those people are easily diverted into "culture wars."
I would say the Democrats have to get in touch with their inner " Deep state  national security state" side  that Benjamin's talking about and ruthlessly rip the assh-le out of the filibuster and push their voting rights bill, greatly expand a national health plan, push for more environmental legislation and pay for it by  soaking the mega  rich, and force your 'secret veto', and see what happens.. We've seen the Republicans ruthlessly  use their narrow majorities to push their Supreme Court judges and tax cuts to the wealthy. They'd just be responding in kind. Obviously I'm not holding my breathe!

Jeff, I'd be curious what you think about this. Trudeau's shut down by pig Bolsenaro of Brazil no less, at the G 20! This is from some "Get the business  edge with better body language" guy.
It could happen to anyone, Trudeau makes a friendly handshake gesture just as Bolso is greeted from the other side. This guy totally sacks him! I think Trudeau is just being a "polite Canadian'

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

9 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
Because Americans don't vote in their interests and those people are easily diverted into "culture wars."

But that's the problem, those *are* their interests. The majority of Trump voters are bigots. Sorry, but that's a fact. And there is nothing more important to them than their bigotry. Their identity is wrapped up in it, whether they realize it or not. It comes before everything else, affects every aspect of their life, every decision. And at the end of their time on earth, it will be the reason they lived a poorer life than they could have.

On 7/17/2021 at 5:21 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Is anyone on the forum aware of any new revelations about alleged CIA/Deep State contracts with mainstream media corporations or private journalists, since Ulfkotte's book?

I recall reading somewhere about Jeff Bezos signing a $640 million contract with the CIA a few years ago, after he bought the Washington Post.

For such a hugely important subject, the silence is deafening.

7 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Is anyone on the forum aware of any new revelations about alleged CIA/Deep State contracts with mainstream media corporations or private journalists, since Ulfkotte's book?

I recall reading somewhere about Jeff Bezos signing a $640 million contract with the CIA a few years ago, after he bought the Washington Post.

For such a hugely important subject, the silence is deafening.

You are asking a media to report on its own compromising. 

Verily, WaPo is owned by a fellow who has become a large Pentagon defense-industry contractor. 

As stated, there is about 1% of consumed media offered by the marginalized, gadflies, oddballs, extremists and some smart people doing their best. 

The corporate media wants to stomp on that 1%, offering one worthy reason or another for censorship. 

This is from Jonathan Turley---

The White House is openly calling for greater corporate action to address censorship, health care, and other issues.  That call is being supported by a growing list of Democratic members, journalists, and academics who have discovered the advantages of shared corporate governance.

Actually, I think this is a lost battle. There is a self-righteous zeal among many modern-day censors that abandons circumspection, and corporate media has never been so ubiquitous, pervasive, monolithic, powerful.

Good luck out there.