The Education Forum

Another good one from Dennis Broe

An excerpt from his review of Cannes, from People's World:

Oliver Stone marked another 30-year anniversary in his JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass, a documentary sequel to JFK which incorporated additional evidence now unredacted from the Warren Commission and House of Representatives reports giving increased credence to the film’s thesis that JFK was assassinated not by a lone gunman but most likely by CIA and ex-CIA members which after Kennedy’s failure to back the Bay of Pigs Cuba invasion then launched their ultimate dirty tricks operation. Stone described this new research, including Kennedy scholars claiming that Kennedy was actively engaged in a global peace movement and in withdrawing the U.S. from Vietnam, as converting “conspiracy theory” into “conspiracy fact.”
Whoopi Goldberg and Stone narrate the first part of the film, and Stone then inserts the clip from JFK where Donald Sutherland as a deep cover “Colonel X” asks who had the motive for killing Kennedy, beginning to point toward the intelligence agency. Sutherland then narrates the second, more involving part of the film which details the CIA’s dissatisfaction toward Kennedy who, having visited Vietnam as the French were losing the country and having seen the U.S. as facing a similar fate, wanted peace as well as a de facto understanding with the just-completed revolution in Algeria, the left-leaning Sukarno in Indonesia, and Egypt’s Nasser, the pan-Arab proponent who was said to have wept for an entire night upon hearing of Kennedy’s death. The film also relates the French President de Gaulle’s confronting Kennedy with his suspicion that the U.S. backed the plot to assassinate him by a right-wing cabal of his generals. To which Kennedy is said to have replied that there are parts of the government he had no control over. Sutherland’s narration of these findings, then, because of the previous clip from Stone’s earlier film, is invested with the fictional authority of Colonel X rather than simply the actor’s voice. A remarkable blending of fact and fiction.

Take a look at who this guy is:

Dennis Broe’s latest book is Diary of a Digital Plague Year: Coronavirus, Serial TV and the Rise of the Streaming Services. He has taught at the Sorbonne and is currently teaching in the Master’s Program at the École Supérieure de Journalisme. He is an arts critic and correspondent for the British daily Morning Star and for Crime Time, People’s World and Culture Matters, where he is an associate editor.

I'm glad to hear that the second part of JFK Revisited, apparently, focuses on Deep State and foreign policy motives for killing JFK.

That, to me, reflects the essence of the "Destiny Betrayed" concept-- i.e., that JFK's murder was a betrayal of a more just and peaceful destiny for humanity.

I don't know the details, but I wish Oliver Stone had entitled the film, Destiny Betrayed, to emphasize that important historical concept.

I wonder what percentage of U.S. citizens today even know that JFK fully intended to get out of Vietnam.  My hunch is that it's a fairly small percentage.

The four hour version, which is titled Destiny Betrayed, goes into that even more.

In the cases of Vietnam and Indonesia we have two authors on each, Jamie Galbraith and John Newman, Brad Simpson and Lisa Pease.

Another good one.  Everyone should read this because there is an interview  attached. 

I had to chuckle about what Oliver says about me. 🙃 Upside down complement.

https://thefilmstage.com/oliver-stone-on-revisiting-jfks-assassination-and-the-governments-control-over-media/

"Before JFK Revisited premiered to a hungry Cannes audience, Stone took the stage to rapturous applause...We sat down with him on the French Riviera to talk about it."---The Film Stage.

Maybe a little rich, but after some of the poison darts, a welcome breather. 

And Jim DiEugenio finally gets a mention and acknowledgement. 

That's actually a pretty good compliment by Oliver, the review and interview are excellent imho.  The Autopsy Fu-kery comment made me LOL.  About as accurate as one can get!  R E, the filmstage review.

Edited by Ron Bulman