The Education Forum

Whitewash II: the FBI's secret service cover up with Harold Weisberg (KPFK, 1966)

Tried reading the Whitewash books, very individual writing style, like he’s stood at the end of a bar shouting at you.

Flinty. His difficulties getting published perhaps extended to getting edited. Currently I'm listening to this interview about Whitewash II, while reading Whitewash III. Whitewash III is about the photographic evidence which should be in the Warren Commission exhibits, but was instead suppressed. Ironically or not, the .pdf reprint of Whitewash III itself has no photographs.

5 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Neither does the EPUB version, which is inexplicably 51MB in size.

The title 'Photographic Whitewash' causes expectation of a Groden type publication.  Sadly there are only two photographs in the almost three hundred page book & both are grainy b/w images of the TSBD.  Weisberg's text documents the photographic evidence that WC never got to view.  

I'll have to get acquainted with that story, Joseph.

Interesting that in the introduction to Whitewash III, Weisberg, writing in 1967, mentions effort on his part to stay away from what Garrison was doing in New Orleans, as a way of helping Garrison's cause.

And here I was, getting all hepped up about Weisberg being a former O.S.S. analyst. One gets so tired of all these former O.S.S. types turning out to be suspects in Kennedy's murder.

Edited by George Govus
spelling

I know nothing about Weisberg's 'sabotage' of Stone's movie, but I just don't see such a prolific author as being on the dark side.  Something of a curmudgeon :rant, but as Douglas' vid shows he was very articulate & firm in his beliefs.  I have everything he published, can't see him as a false prophet.

His belief in Oswald in the Altgens has long interested me & also Zapruder's claim his camera was set to 24fps! 

• 2 weeks later...

Many of Weisberg  books were self-published. That includes any typo errors. Oswald in New Orleans was published by  

Published by Canyon Books, 1967

I think Weisberg was upset by the direction Garrison ended up taking, so that might have something to do with it. Or maybe he was pissed he wasn't asked to be a consultant by Mr. Stone.

Oswald in New Orleans is a really good book, very important for its time, as well as more readable than his others. Weisberg desperately needed an editor and his books were almost impossible to read because he refused to let anyone help him. A mistake on his part, IMO.

Edit: Sounds like there is more to the story; I imagine Jim DiEugenio would know the details.

But for now, Garrison wrote the forward to Weisberg's OINO, and Weisberg gave info to his Grand Jury: https://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/garr/grandjury/pdf/Weisberg.pdf

Weisberg had an early draft of the JFK script, and annotated it with comments for Stone. I reckon something went sideways at that point...

https://archive.org/details/early-draft-of-jfk-by-oliver-stone-and-zachary-sklar.-handwritten-notes-by-resea/mode/2up

Reading the early draft is fascinating though, as is his commentary (when it's legible enough to read).

Edited by Matt Allison