The Education Forum

Sirhan Sirhan seeks parole with no opposition from prosecutors

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Gavin might do it.

Because the recall is coming up in just two weeks.  So all the pressure will be off after that.

And I also think that RFK Jr. will talk to him privately.

Lawyer Angela Berry did a nice job.  And we collected some letters for her.

JIM D

I don't for a minute believe that Gavin Newsome will do that... He knows whats good for him...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Gavin might do it.

The are certain things you are and are not allowed to believe when you are a politician. One of those things is whether or not RFK (or JFK for that matter) were assassinated as a result of a conspiracy, or were carried out by lone nuts. Only one of these positions is acceptable and tolerated among elected officials, and we know which one of those positions that is.

At the end of the day, no politician is going to stand up and say the equivalent of "The man who shot RFK's brains out should be let out of prison" much less will he say "He didn't do it"

Won't happen

In the world of politics you are either an official narrative team player, or you're a dangerous crackpot. That's what it comes down to. Gavin Newsome isn't about to put the Iver Johnson in his mouth and pull the trigger.

Edited by Richard Booth

I'd like to see Kamala Harris asked about this. Curious to know just how horrifying her response would be. 

On 8/25/2021 at 8:36 PM, Andrew Prutsok said:

Will the vice president intervene?

Good question...

Richard:

On the K and K web site, we presented the case that in criminal justice terms, Sirhan should have been out decades ago.

Gascon not having the DA's office there I think made a difference.  

Gavin does not have to say whether or not he thinks Sirhan killed RFK.  He does not have to say anything at all.  Except he will stand by their  decision.

Will he do that?  I don't know.  But the first hurdle is the full board review.  That will last 90 days.  Then Newsom or whoever is governor will have 30 days.

Jim D

6 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

You beat me to it Richard, Here's the WaPo version.  Apparently RFK JR got involved again after all as well as a Douglas H. Kennedy.

California parole panel votes in favor of release from prison for Sirhan Sirhan (msn.com)

This is the only news account on the parole that I've seen or heard that even hints at the possibility that Sirhan didn't do it. It quotes Robert Jr. referring to "evidence that was not presented to the court during his trial.” (No details, of course.) It irked me tonight when Lester Holt, whom I usually watch, flatly stated that Sirhan murdered RFK. I checked the ABC News and CBS News websites, and the same thing. Sirhan did it, period. Same at CNN. What a free press we have in this country.

"Sirhan and his supporters point out what they say is intriguing new ballistic evidence and say it could either wipe out Sirhan or at least involve a second shooter. They are particularly enthralled by the forensic evidence suggesting that the bullets that killed Kennedy were fired at close range, an important fact as witnesses say Sirhan did not get so close to the senator."---Los Angeles Times. 

This is how the Los Angeles Times is reprising their coverage of the RFKA. They first printed this paragraph in 1998, and again today. 

Yes, I am "particularly enthralled" by "forensic evidence" suggesting RFK bullets were fired a very short range and from behind, and that all witnesses said Sirhan Sirhan was several feet or more in front of RFK. 

That is, County Coroner Thomas Noguchi conducted tests on RFK's body and determined there was muzzle blast behind RFK's ear, and shots entered RFK from behind.  BTW, there was a move to get rid of Noguchi before he finished his autopsy. 

Oh, I am "enthralled." 

Any sane person must have reasonable doubts as to the true events regarding the RFKA.  And that reasonable doubt is just on scratching the surface, just reading the Noguchi report.  Like the JFKA, the more you read, the more reasonable doubts accumulate. 

I checked out the U.K. teletext last thing last night and whooped when I read the parole board hearing decision.

Then I read the second page about the final say going to the California Governor, and that didn't give me a good feeling.

I did write to the Parole Board months back, as per Lisa P's recommendations.

Reading Richard's posts above, I'm going to try to keep optimistic, cockeyed or not.

Nice one Peter, call me a cockeyed optimist.

After fifteen times?

This is what I can put together from the reports.

Douglas Kennedy was there.  I think Robert Kennedy Junior's son was there.  And RFK Jr. wrote a letter in favor.

Was Paul Schrade there?  Or did he write a letter?

Opposing were six Kennedy children but not Kathleen, who agrees with RFK Jr. They wrote a letter.

The Board based the decision on new law that was passed.  And this was what Angela Berry, the new lawyer, based her petition on. I think this is why Munir Sirhan hired her.

14 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Richard:

On the K and K web site, we presented the case that in criminal justice terms, Sirhan should have been out decades ago.

Gascon not having the DA's office there I think made a difference.  

Gavin does not have to say whether or not he thinks Sirhan killed RFK.  He does not have to say anything at all.  Except he will stand by their  decision.

Will he do that?  I don't know.  But the first hurdle is the full board review.  That will last 90 days.  Then Newsom or whoever is governor will have 30 days.

Jim D

The public and politics are not as nuanced as K&K. To them, this is a question of "do we let out of prison the man who blew RFK's brains out?" -- and if the answer is YES, whether or not you press that position with "I simply stand by their decision, that's all" doesn't matter. That decision will have broad negative political implications for whomever makes it.

The only way this plays out is if Gavin Newsome realizes that his political career is already over, and he's free to do anything he wants to do without respect for whatever the ramifications are. Should he view himself in this position he's free to make a bold choice. I don't think he will view himself in this way, I think he probably views himself as a figure in a dynasty and his legacy will not be one of being ousted from office and replaced by Larry Elder, and certainly he isn't going to destroy his future over RFK's designated killer.

If Newsome begins to realize that he is going to be recalled and his once-loyal political cronies are not going to save him from that, he might make a rash decision simply due to his ego being insulted. 

In that respect, the recall effort could serve as a catalyst for Newsome to do the right thing. Let's hope his cronies abandoned him and he's insulted.

I guess this particular Kennedy has never really studied his fathers death.  Sirhan did not shoot his dad and inch away from behind his ear, from 10 feet in front of him.

Op-Ed: In assassinating my father, Sirhan committed a crime against America. He must not be released (msn.com)

He's a lawyer, who majored in history at Harvard.  I wonder what his brother RFK Jr. thinks of his comments.

Edited by Ron Bulman

Reading the news stories on this case and many of them mention that Sirhan "confessed" or "plead guilty" or they'll say he has "expressed remorse" -- one of them even characterized his supporters (RFK Jr. or Paul Schrade) as people who have "forgiven Sirhan"

Nowhere is there any mention of the specifics of the case, coroner Noguchi's findings, or the fact that Sirhan is innocent of the crime. It's presented as if there is no doubt among anyone on this. 

If you know the facts of the case, when you read these stories the level of deception is striking and appalling. This is journalism?

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

I guess this particular Kennedy has never really studied his fathers death.  Sirhan did not shoot his dad and inch away from behind his ear, from 10 feet in front of him.

Op-Ed: In assassinating my father, Sirhan committed a crime against America. He must not be released (msn.com)

He's a lawyer, who majored in history at Harvard.  I wonder what his brother RFK Jr. thinks of his comments.

He probably knows next to nothing about the case.