Capra's first WHY WE FIGHT film, PRELUDE TO WAR, won an Oscar,

along with other documentaries. That was it for Capra's films

during the war. Stevens's work during

the war didn't win Oscars. But it was used at the Nuremberg Trials

to help convict the N-a-z-i war criminals [why does this

website convert the actual word into a silly euphemism?]. John

Ford's unit did the Nuremberg films along with Stevens and others. Ford's

documentaries THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY and DECEMBER 7TH won Oscars,

though not for him personally, as he later claimed. The Oscars for World War II films

went to the government services. And no individuals could be credited onscreen for those films.

Edited by Joseph McBride

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

Capra's first WHY WE FIGHT film, PRELUDE TO WAR, won an Oscar,

along with other documentaries. That was it for Capra's films

during the war. Stevens's work during

the war didn't win Oscars. But it was used at the Nuremberg Trials

to help convict the N-a-z-i war criminals [why does this

website convert the actual word into a silly euphemism?]. John

Ford's unit did the Nuremberg films along with Stevens and others. Ford's

documentaries THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY and DECEMBER 7TH won Oscars,

though not for him personally, as he later claimed. The Oscars for World War II films

went to the government services. And no individuals could be credited onscreen for those films.

Footnote.  One of those government services WWII films was John Huston's, The Battle of San Pietro, (1945) which features live footage of several of the Sherman tanks in my father's battalion (the U.S. 753rd) getting blown up in a direct frontal assault on the N-a-z-i trenches.

The 753rd lost 17 tanks in that battle. 

That's a great film, but most of it was staged after the actual battle. The actual title

is SAN PIETRO. Huston's LET THERE BE LIGHT is also a great film.

It was banned for 35 years until I led a press campaign to free it.

Edited by Joseph McBride

1 hour ago, Joseph McBride said:

That's a great film, but most of it was staged after the actual battle. The actual title

is SAN PIETRO. Huston's LET THERE BE LIGHT is also a great film.

It was banned for 35 years until I led a press campaign to free it.

Interesting.  I learn something new every day on this forum.

My dad rarely talked about the war, and I never saw Huston's film San Pietro until after my father died (in 2004.)     I knew from reading a memoir written by his colonel that my father's 753rd Tank Battalion was involved in a deadly frontal assault on the German lines at San Pietro, and I assumed that the film showed the actual footage of the tank attacks.

Of course, the most gut-wrenching part of the film San Pietro was the before and after footage of the fateful march of the Texas 141st Infantry up that hill.

Incidentally, my father was a rare survivor of the war from the 753rd Tank Battalion.  They lost over 75% of their original men from Fort Hood, Texas during the course of WWII -- from North Africa to Italy, then up the Rhone Valley (Operation Dragoon) and into Germany.

Edited by W. Niederhut

"The unscripted presentation of mental disability caused the US Government to suppress the film, and it was not released until the 1980s".  They tried to cover up "shell shock", PTSD.

Wikipedia version.

Edited by Ron Bulman

3 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

It's now streaming on demand on Showtime.

Now I'm confused.  The articles I linked said Showtime, 7:00 Friday November 12.  I just checked the Showtime schedule for today and it shows Four Brothers starting at 6:00 PM and running until 8:00.  Is it only on on demand?

Edited by Ron Bulman

25 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Now I'm confused.  The articles I linked said Showtime, 7:00 Friday November 12.  I just checked the Showtime schedule for today and it shows Four Brothers starting at 6:00 PM and running until 8:00.  Is it only on on demand?

I didn't see it on the online schedule for Showtime either. I just Googled the title and Showtime and it took me to a page on Showtime's website that had an option to watch it on demand. I added the Showtime app on my TV and re-subscribed. (The sister app Showtime On Roku, didn't seem to have the documentary and didn't even have a search function that I could see.)

The forensic evidence part was mostly good, although some issues are oversimplified like the chain of custody for CE 399, or the location of the back wound, or the appearence of the throat wound, or the throat wound ignorance story.

Do we now have color footage of the Limousine which some have claimed shows a hole in the windshield if you squint real hard?

It is not suspicious that there is a version of the autopsy face sheet without Burkley's signature - Burkley probably just made some copies before he wrote that. That signature doesn't necessarily come from 11/22.

I'm sorry, but Doug Horne citing Michael Kurtz on Burkley was just painful. Kurtz was debunked straight to the moon by Pat Speer.

And Robert Knudsen as a witness? idk.

I am at last glad to have a screenshot of the face sheet where you can tell the difference between the pen and pencil markings. As James Jenkins claimed, it was proper protocol to draw face sheets with only a pencil. The part in Kennedy's face sheet that's filled in with a pen is the crucial notation of 14 centimeters below the mastoid process.

Edited by Micah Mileto