The Education Forum

The Cab Ride

Gil Jesus

8 hours ago, Karl Hilliard said:

Or so he testified. Our readers are [or should be aware] that William Whaley was brought in 2 more times to testify. Once ... https://www.jfk-assassination.net/russ/testimony/whaley2.htm

Then again...  https://www.jfk-assassination.net/russ/testimony/whaley3.htm

David Belin rattled the hell out of Whaley about what number at the line-up was his choice. Six guys crammed into Whaley's cab and drove the route to Beckley---

Years ago when I was curious, that is how I walked from 1026 to the Tippit shooting scene. It took me 18 minutes also....I kept wondering just where in hell am I going? Walking back is quicker...but it's also downhill.

This is curious, indeed.

Karl, do you believe that Whaley never had anyone at all in his cab (at least anyone who might correspond with the 12:45 cab ride from the Greyhound Bus Station to Oak Cliff)?

If not, how did the '"Oswald" was in my cab on Friday" story start, if Whaley did not genuinely believe it to be true on Saturday morning?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Karl Hilliard said:

If Whaley's passenger was Oswald..why didn't this passenger just go on ahead and say "to 1026 N Beckley"?

I can only guess, but I agree with those who argue that by 12:45 or so, our "Oswald" had begun to suspect that things were amiss.

Did he know at 12:30 that JFK had been shot?

Probably not. Few in the crowd were aware then that the president had been hit.

However, if Roy Milton Jones (teenage passenger on Cecil McWatters' bus) was correct, it was while the bus was stuck in traffic (around 12:45 or so) that both the driver and the passengers learned that the president had been shot. Immediately, the man on the bus (supposedly our "Oswald") then exited the bus, followed closely by an unknown woman. 

Shortly thereafter, two Dallas Police officers boarded that very bus and "searched the passengers for weapons", according to Jones. If true, that is a strong indication of criminal foreknowledge -at that moment, no one had any idea that "Oswald" was missing, let alone where he had gone!

Further, the Stuart Reed photos of the McWatters bus stuck in traffic on Elm Street, east of the TSBD, posted earlier, are also overwhelming evidence of criminal foreknowledge.

When our "Oswald" arrived at the Greyhound Bus Station to get a cab (again, supposedly) an unknown woman attempted to get into the cab with him. (I have never ever heard of any woman trying to get into a cab with an unknown man.) This behavior, odd on its face, may well have caused our "Oswald" to suspect something wasn't right.

So what did he do?

He stepped aside and offered her the cab to herself.

She declined. (If she really was an intelligence asset, assigned to tail "Oswald", then the last thing she could do was to take a cab before she knew where he was going. Her only option would have been to tail him in a trailing cab.)

He  took Whaley's cab, but then gave an address south of 1026 N. Beckley. Whaley said repeatedly that they drove right past the rooming house. Our "Oswald" could see if anyone or anything outside of it looked suspicious. "Oswald" got out (some blocks south of 1026, exactly how far depends on which version Whaley was telling) and may well have backtracked on foot to the rooming house. Was he trying to shake any possible tails?

So it would seem.

Why did our "Oswald" wind up in the Texas Theater with two torn-in-half dollar bills in his wallet? Because he was an intelligence asset, looking for an unknown contact in the theater, and matching torn bills is classic tradecraft for contacts who don't know each other. 

His bizarre moving from seat to seat, always next to a stranger in a nearly empty theater, can be explained as the actions of an intelligence asset, looking for his contact. 

Somebody in that theater then repeatedly called the DPD, but the cops didn't react until the caller let loose that whopper that "a man had been seen walking into the Texas Theater with a rifle over his shoulder." Of course it wasn't true, but by then, the caller/conspirator/"Oswald" handler was desperate.

I believe that this same intelligence handler gave "Oswald" the .38 revolver. It may (or may not) have been the same one used to shoot Tippit. Either way, it didn't matter: "Oswald" was to be shot during arrest, and the JFK case would have been "solved". Only his quick response ("I am not resisting arrest") saved him.

All of this tells me our man was some sort of intelligence asset (albeit expendable), and knew enough by 12:50 not to go directly to 1026 N. Beckley.