The Education Forum

How to debunk the George Hickey theory?

John,

Yes, there were other officers in the area, but I am specifically placing Barnett as the one in Altgens 6, given his WC testimony describing himself in "Position 9" and stopping traffic from going down the access road in front of the TSBD. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denise,

Fine, no problems.  I differ in opinion on that.  I'll go back and read Officer Barnett's (I did it again.  Learned wrong, stays wrong.  Barnett not Barrett.  And, the thing about that is I stopped and thought about it and still got it wrong) testimony.

Barnett changed his position from No. 1 to No. 9.  I have always had problems with these.  Can you mark them on a map or refer to the commission exhibit that has those?

Just to brag a bit, the "Docs Without Borders Film Festival" (That's "Docs" as in "Documentaries," not "Doctors") just announced their Fall, 2021 winners. A Benign Conspiracy won an "Exceptional Merit" award in the "Revolution and Reform" category, along with an award of"Excellence" in the "Research" sub-category. Huzzah! I should now be listed in the IMDb, and also have a new website http://www.a-benign-conspiracy.com  Again, Huzzah!

Barnett changed his position from No. 1 to No. 9.  I have always had problems with these.  Can you mark them on a map or refer to the commission exhibit that has those?

I posted a small resolution version of Commission Exhibit No. 354 above. A Google search of "Warren Commission Exhibit Non. 354" will yield a link to the History Matters version.Note that this does not appear to be the original one marked during Barnett's testimony, but a photo that was re-marked in white lettering for publication in the Hearings. Nevertheless, I believe that the "Position 9" is at least close to accurate, given what Barnett said about stopping traffic from proceeding down Houston and into the access road in front of the TSBD.

2 minutes ago, Denise Hazelwood said:

I posted a small resolution version of Commission Exhibit No. 354 above. A Google search of "Warren Commission Exhibit Non. 354" will yield a link to the History Matters version.Note that this does not appear to be the original one marked during Barnett's testimony, but a photo that was re-marked in white lettering for publication in the Hearings. Nevertheless, I believe that the "Position 9" is at least close to accurate, given what Barnett said about stopping traffic from proceeding down Houston and into the access road in front of the TSBD.

Denise,

We differ on a few things, but keep up the good work.  Thank you very much for this pic exhibit.  I have searched for this several times.  I get from google "some items have been removed".  And, that sums up my research effort these days.

dealey-plaza-marked-positions-crop.jpg

I can see why you think Barnett was at the middle of the intersection rather than Joe Marshall Smith in Altgens 6.

I believe that Barnett was at Position No. 1 originally and moved to Position No. 8 just as the motorcade approached.  After the shooting, he moved into the intersection at No. 9 and stopped part of the motorcade there.  The first vehicle of the motorcade that was stopped was the Mayor's Car.

This is not what he said in his testimony.  Based on further things in his testimony I believe what he said is questionable.  

You can find Barnett in the No. 8 position in a couple of films.  I'll need to look this up, but I believe in Bell and Hughes.  I've had this discussion before with others with me taking a different position for Barnett and I think Bart Kamp was the one who showed the north Houston location on the intersection in a film frame.  

The films and photos show Barnett at No. 1 and No. 8.  They don't show him in Pos. 9.  There is the Towner film, Betzner No. 2 photo, and Bell.

bell-f-6-intersection-oswald-figure-barn

and,

betzner-2-towners-welcome-barnett-1-pos-

and,

Tower-Lost-Bullet-barnett-pos-8.jpg

Now I recall why I was suspicious of Barnett's testimony.  I couldn't find Welcome at Pos. 9 on film or photo.  The rest of his testimony is interesting concerning his activities when he left the intersection.

The Bell frame is not exactly Pos. 1, but close.  The Towner frame and the Betzner photo have him in Pos. 8.

The problem with the Towner frame is that it appears to be a split frame image.   Also in the doorway and steps of the TSBD are several DPD policemen.

Edited by John Butler