The Education Forum

JFK Revisited: Through The Looking Glass

The two hour version of Oliver Stone and Jim DiEugenio's documentary "JFK Revisited: Through The Looking Glass" is now available for streaming on Showtime.

I just finished watching it. I found it very enjoyable and well-produced. It tells some dramatic stories and is packed with information. The second hour is more complex as the geopolitics of the Vietnam war are studied in depth.

I look forward to watching it again and reading the discussion about it here.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was fantastic-the best JFK assassination documentary to date! While I am immensely proud of my appearances on both A COUP IN CAMELOT and even the warts-and-all THE MEN WHO KILLED KENNEDY, JFK REVISITED: THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is the best one ever! Nice consolation prize at the end, too (I contributed several Elmer Moore, James Rowley and related photos):

May be an image of text that says 'Times Company 5 Inc. ry, University of Georgia tock Inc. agazine ates Navy ion News Archives tertainment Inc. ilm Archive University of North Texas Spe Reuters Geraldo Rivera The Sixth Floor Museum at United States Air F University of New England Center Veritone The Cyril H. Wecht In "FINALE" FROM JFK Music Composed and Conducted by John Williams Courtesy of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. THE FILMMAKERS WISH To THANK BART WALKER MARK NOLAND KINGSTON TECHNOLOGY MILICENT CRANOR DAVID JOSEPHS MALCOLM BLUNT GREG POULGRAIN TINA BETTENCOURT VINCE PALAMARA JAMES w. DOUGLASS End Titles made with ENDCRAWL'

I am thanked at the end (I supplied some photos and info) but I blew my chance to be in it: for every documentary I have done, there are two others that never see the light of day. I was tied up with work and other things at the time and I was invited on short notice with no mention of Stone or anything…so I thought it was going to be another one of those “film and bury” documentaries. Oh, well.

While I genuinely loved the whole thing and have NO criticisms (!), my favorite parts were (naturally) the Secret Service related sections about Elmer Moore and James Gouchenauer  and especially about CE399 and the medical evidence; wow and triple wow! Aguilar, Mantik, Wecht, and others did a tremendous job here. I also really liked Barry Ernest's segment on Vicki Adams and the girls on the stairs. i just finished it and I am blown away. This documentary was so amazing and I cannot wait to purchase it in February AND to see the four-hour version! I will be watching this one again soon via streaming. Brilliant job on the production and narration and compiling the clips together; so densely packed with info.

Edited by Vince Palamara

The secret service destroyed records about previous motorcades.

I thought the documentary put blame for the conspiracy squarely on the Generals and the Secret Service.  

I also liked the part when the documentary went into details of

1. JFK’s failed foreign policy
  2. School desegregation
  3. The first black secret service agent in the White House detail.

I think 3. made it easier for the Generals to infiltrate the Secret Service.

Very well made documentary. Kudos to @James DiEugenio

Edited by Keyvan Shahrdar

Just saw it as well. What a tremendous service to the truth and to the American people. Thanks to Oliver and Jim for a job extremely well done.

Proof enough for me that LHO would not have been convicted at trial, he was undoubtedly an intelligence asset and operative, and powerful people in the CIA and Pentagon saw JFK’s progressive foreign policy as dangerous and wanted him out of the way.

Edited by Michaleen Kilroy

I wish there was more- and I know there will be in February. But what about a docuseries that has seasons, there is so much info that people who are not educated on the subject that are in books that they don't read. The Oswald docuseries on the History channel was pretty bad. Maybe even a YouTube series. I understand there is a lot of work involved, but Stone did do his book The Untold History on Showtime.

The FOUR hour version coming to DVD and BLU RAY in February will no doubt be amazing, if these two hours are anything to go by. I watched it a second time and took details notes: it is fabulous. 

Excellent work by all hands.  Can't wait for the whole shot in February.

I'm hoping the complete will flesh out the anti-colonialist support for Nasser and Sukarno, who are mentioned in passing here.  It would be great if the international acquisitiveness for Indonesian mineral rights are exposed, and linked to the Katanga affair in the Congo - and also to Freeport Sulpher, Permindex, and Clay Shaw.  Is Greg Poulgrain appearing?

Edited by David Andrews

I've started watching it. The opening montage, which runs for around 9 minutes, is a stunning tour-de-force, and incredibly powerful. The detailed discussion of the autopsy is very absorbing.

I found it funny to see a particular book on the shelf behind Dulles though. You have to wonder what he thought of it.

Dulles-1.png

Dulles-2.png

Dulles-3.jpg

Edited by Anthony Thorne

I like the documentary very much and think it's effective

for both people who know relatively little about the case

and for people such as us who want to learn more, as

it enables us to do. Both Oliver Stone and Jim DiEugenio

did sharp and smart work on telling the story and

focusing on revelations since JFK came out in 1991. The decision to focus the last

half hour on Kennedy's partly thwarted legacy in foreign policy and his lasting achievements in

civil rights was a shrewd one, as well as how the documentary toward the end points

out how the assassination and coverup have polluted

our government, media, and national discourse. Now I look forward to the

full expanded version, which should enable it go into

even more depth.

(One small glitch: Walt Rostow at

one point is identified in a graphic as "Walter Rostow," but

his full name was Walt Whitman Rostow.)

Edited by Joseph McBride

I agree the documentary is very good. I was quite impressed with Paul Bleau's contribution too, ditto John Newman, Richard Mahoney and the numerous other figures who talk onscreen. The final scenes of the film are very moving.

Edited by Anthony Thorne