The Education Forum

Gus Russo Releases Mexican Files

7 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

To Pete Mellor:

Pete,

Thanks,

Steve Thomas

Steve,

To sum up these 112 pages it is a much ado about not very much!

The file made public on 23rd April 2019 consists of a hotchpotch of nine reports that are mostly either mind numbing or very poor quality reproductions.

The largest proportion of these 112 pages consist of a historical study of U.S. political assassinations + details of the preparations for JFK's Texas trip & a background resume of LHO.  Pages 71 -108 are written notes in Spanish for the above study.  We also get a report on Cuban opposition groups working in Mexico.

Perhaps the only report of value is the 'Activities of Lee Harvey Oswald in Mexico' dated 26 May 1982 on pages 109 to 112.

Activities of Lee Harvey Oswald in Mexico  26 May 1982.

On September 26, 1963, Oswald took bus No.5133 from the Continental Trailways Line in Houston and departed at 2:35 a.m. for Laredo, Texas via Corpus Christi and Alice. Two British tourists he (Redacted)  and his wife who took the same bus noticed Oswald at approximately  6am and Oswald tells them that he was going to Cuba, via Mexico City.  Oswald crossed the border between Laredo, Texas and Nuevo Laredo Mexico, between 1.30 and 2.00pm. From Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, he travelled to the Federal District in Bus No516, of the Red Arrow line, which departed at 2.15PM which had calculated its arrival in Mexico City, at 9.45 AM of the signed day (27) in the course of the trip that lasted approximately 20 hours. Oswald, met two young people of Australian nationality to whom they said that he had long visited the Soviet Union, and that he recommended them when they arrived in Mexico, D.F., to stay at the Hotel Cuba, since he had stayed in that place in previous visits. The bus arrived in Mexico City with 15 minutes of delay, it was approximately 10AM, later Oswald stayed in room No. 18 of the Hotel Comercio located on Calle de Sahagun No9 Colonia Guerrero.  After having registered at the aforementioned Hotel Oswald dedicated himself without delay to the task of obtaining permission to enter Cuba.  (Redacted) because the Mexican authorities do not allow any U.S. Citizen to travel aboard a plane bound for Cuba, without the corresponding visa, Oswald's passport had a stamp that prevented him from traveling to Cuba.

That same day he met with (redacted) Mexican citizen employee of the Embassy of Cuba in Mexico and requested a visa for Cuba in transit for the Soviet Union and based this request with the presentation of his passport in which it was indicated that he had lived in Russia for three years, he also presented his Cedula of work in that country written in Russian letters in the same language,  and proof that he was married to a woman of Soviet nationality named (Redacted).

He also said he was director of an organization supporting Cuba in the City of New Orleans and a member of the communist party of the United States.  He said he intended to travel to Cuba on September 30, 1963. and stay for two weeks or longer.

Before visiting the Cuban embassy, Oswald had met with PAVEL ANTONOVICH YATSKOV and VALERIY VLADIMIROVICH KOSTIKOV, both consular officers of the USSR embassy in Mexico, who served as KGB agents. However Oswald could not obtain the Soviet visa.

That same day in the afternoon Oswald returned to the Cuban embassy carrying passport photographs being received by Mrs. DURAN this called the USSR embassy to ask if Oswald was going to be granted a visa. In the Soviet embassy they replied that there would be a delay for that visa of about 4 months Oswald upon learning of that situation was furious because he did not obtain the Soviet visa. He was automatically denied a visa in transit to Cuba. The senora (Redacted) upon noticing Oswald's attitude called EUSEBIO AZQUE consul of the Cuban embassy in Mexico to try to calm Oswald but the conversation between the two became aggressive. AZQUE told Oswald that in his opinion people like him harmed the Cuban revolution and that per therefore he would not be given the visa he requested.

On the 28th of that same month and year Oswald continued to insist before the embassies of the USSR and Cuba to obtain the corresponding visas without obtaining positive results.

On September 29, 1963 Oswald attended a bullfight and that in the afternoon he had visited some museums and seeing a movie in cinema of Mexico City.

On Monday 30 of the same month Oswald began to make preparations to return to the United States by reserving a space in transports of the north through the travel agency Transportes Chihuahuenses for 8.30AM on October 2, 1963 he was assigned seat No. 12 in the name of H.O.Lee.

On October 1/0 of the same year Oswald paid the hotel bill included that night and around 06.30AM left the hotel to go to the northern transport terminal and board the bus 332 seat No12 of the aforementioned line that left at 8.30AM bound for Laredo Mex. In the city of Monterrey N.L. the passengers of bus 332 transferred a relay vehicle no. 373 of the same line that continued to Laredo that night at 10PM.

When the bus arrived in Laredo Mex. Mexican immigration authorities arrested Oswald due to alleged irregularities in his tourist documents.  Oswald returned to the bus after the immigration authorities had checked his documents and made negative comments about them.

Being approximately 1.35AM on October 3 of the same year Oswald crossed the international gate to go to the city of Dallas Texas where he arrived that same day.

It is known that the file of Lee Harvey Oswald exists in the General Directorate of Migratory Services of the Ministry of the Interior and is classified as confidential.

13 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Steve,

To sum up these 112 pages it is a much ado about not very much!...

When the bus arrived in Laredo Mex. Mexican immigration authorities arrested Oswald due to alleged irregularities in his tourist documents.  Oswald returned to the bus after the immigration authorities had checked his documents...

Pete,

This is new.

If he returned by car, how could he have been arrested at the bus station, and there should be some record of his arrest.

I don't think the authorities have the faintest idea how LHO was getting around; or if he was even there to begin with. 

He went to a bullfight, and the movies? Give me a break!

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

12 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Pete,

This is new.

Steve Thomas

Yep, not read that anywhere before

Also interesting that the report only mentions the McFarlands & the two Australian girls.  No mention of the supposed other traveller with Oswald listed as John Howard Bowen, but actually Albert Osborne.  I have a letter written by Osborne in April '64 to his relatives in England where he denies ever travelling with Oswald.

I would also like to learn how Mexican intell could know of the Oswald's activities of bullfight & museum etc., they must have been following him to know this & could be expected to photograph the man.  Why complete this report in 1982?  It ends with a reproduction of the backyard photo.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:22 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Pete,

This is new.

If he returned by car, how could he have been arrested at the bus station, and there should be some record of his arrest.

I don't think the authorities have the faintest idea how LHO was getting around; or if he was even there to begin with. 

He went to a bullfight, and the movies? Give me a break!

Steve Thomas

Don't get too excited about "arrested."  I think the better translation is "stopped."

13 hours ago, Tony Rose said:

Don't get too excited about "arrested."  I think the better translation is "stopped."

Tony, Si senor!  I agree, the word detuvieron, more likely translates as 'stopped'.

There are so many pages of poor quality print & even more pages of wasted space in this Mexican file.

Apologies to Micah, but this is certainly NOT a master MC essay.

However, for what it is worth, with its wonky chronology, I have taken the meat off this bone & transcribed the Spanish to English from the 'Declaration of (REDACTED)' that covers pages 17 through to 22.

Declaration of (REDACTED)

(P17)

This person said to be 24 years old of single Catholic age, by trade driver originally from Rama city, department of Celaya, Republic of Nicaragua and have his address in the streets of Pino of this Capital.  He indicated that on August 29 of the current year he entered Mexico with $200 as an employee of Migracion de Ciudad Cuauhtemoc, Chis. I add that he repudiates communism and therefore the object of his transfer to Mexico was to try to infiltrate the groups of that affiliation, mainly Cubans, in order to later pass information to Major ROGER JEREZ ALFARO, Military Attaché of the Embassy of Nicaragua in Mexico, with whom he has been collaborating for three years and who pays him $400 per month for his expenses; that the information it collects is passed to the Military to be sent directly to Gen. GUSTAVO MONTIEL, Chief of the Intelligence Service of the Nicaraguan Army residing in Managua.

(REDACTED) expressed that pretending to be a communist and through Prof. (REDACTED) known Nicaraguan communist was presented with an individual of names CARLOS JOSE, Official of the Cuban Embassy, which happened on September 3rd or 4th  previous, that the pretext of the presentation was that he unearth a move to Cuba and for that he told CARLOS JOSE on the 10th or 12th of the same month that this party was a 'good communist':  plus an employee of the Cuban Embassy made him fill out a questionnaire and asked him for three photographs that he has not delivered to date.

(P18)

I also indicate that with various pretexts I continue to frequent the Cuban Embassy trying to obtain information to transmit it to Major JEREZ ALFARO or to Gen.MONTIEL and that in a session they told him in the Embassy itself that in order for him to remain in the country through a lawyer who would later be presented to him, they were going to grant him a passport, birth certificate and a military service card as a Mexican and thus travel to Cuba.

I add that on September 18th around 11:00 a.m., I was in the waiting room of the Cuban Consulate and I observed an American of (REDACTED) centime? three tall of height complexion  (REDACTED) rather (REDACTED) wearing gray pants black sports jacket white shirt and a Texan lace tie wearing brown shoes, that caught his attention for the complexion (REDACTED) of the individual, his appearance of sadness and eyes (REDACTED) being these of (REDACTED) and that gave him the impression of (REDACTED) that also called his attention that the hair of that subject was (REDACTED) for the most part but had (REDACTED) calculated him of about twenty-six years of age.

He said that from the waiting room you can see the entry and that he saw that in front of the Consulate stopped a rental car from which two people got off a (REDACTED) of (REDACTED) approximately of height of complexion (REDACTED) of eyes (REDACTED) like the (REDACTED) the lips (REDACTED) pale (REDACTED) wearing a brown suit and a white young man in his  twenties, with appearance of existentialist hair (REDACTED) wearing a brown suit and wearing dark pants and light blue jacket as of (REDACTED) of height and complexion (REDACTED) which he realised by the red passport he was carrying in the hand that he was of Canadian nationality.

(P19)

That when these two individuals arrived, the American stood up from his seat and greeted them with a hug to each of them and all together they entered the Consul's en suite.

That approximately fifteen minutes after the above he crossed the waiting room of the consulate to go to the room of the sanitary services and when going down two steps he saw a tall dark-skinned man with white glasses who works in the Cuban Embassy, because later he has seen him deliver to the red-haired black man a package that apparently had money that after making use of the bathroom when leaving it observed that in a corridor the black Canadian and the American of reference were talking heatedly, that the first one he saw had a very visible scar on the right ring of the chin was counting money that he then delivered to the American, reaching to hear the declarant state the figure "six thousand and five hundred dollars" that when seeing the above the declarant went back to the toilet room and noticed that the American and the Canadian used holsters for pistols like those of the gangsters: that I hear the black man say to the American "I can go with you" answering this "you are not a man" and adding "I can do it, I can kill him": that after leaving the sanitary room and when returning to the waiting room, I observe that the American and the Canadian re-entered the private office of the consul moments later as they were entertained a few moments talking with an employee of the Consulate with the appearance of a prostitute and the one he later learned is called toad (REDACTED).

He indicated that later he went out to buy an ice cream and when he did this he saw the American and the Canadian leave the offices and board a black car of recent model and apparently it was a Chevrolet.

(P20)

I express that when I assumed that a crime was being forged, I thought to bring the facts to the attention of the Embassy of the United States in Mexico and it did not occur to him to inform the Officials of his country because he believed that they were not of interest to them so on September 20th he communicated by telephone  to said Embassy, but because he did not appear personally, they did not pay attention to him, although he said that what he wanted to discuss with the official of the same "was confidential." He said he would not present himself personally to the Embassy for fear of being seen by the C-2 or Cuban spies and forgot to comment on the matter.

He indicated that from the newspapers he learned of the death of the President of the United States and that when he saw the photograph of the murderer I recognized him as the American subject he had seen in the Cuban Consulate. For this reason, I call the North American Embassy again and I agree to establish contact with an Official of the same who summoned him for that same day at 5:30 p.m. in the mediation of the Hotel Maria Isabel.

That indeed at the time of the appointment two individuals who identified themselves with credentials of the FBI of the United States were presented, to whom he narrated the events noted down, indicating that he did so disinterestedly by those who summoned him for the following day at 9:15 a.m. at the 'Jena' Restaurant located on Av. Morelos and Paseo de la Reforma, presenting one of the previous day that he knew is called (REDACTED) with whom he moved to the Cafeteria of the Hotel 'Francis' and later he travelled some streets with them in a car and again recounted the events observed in the Cuban Consulate.

(P21)

So, they gave him a $100 bill almost by force and they agreed to call him on the phone number 41-07-31, which is the one from the place where he is moving away, which they did the same day at 8:45 p.m., citing him for thirty minutes later in front of the Hemicycle to Juarez,  where he went to meet (REDACTED) with whom he moved in a walkway to the corner of the Hotel Maria Isabel, where another American was waiting and together they crossed the street and arrived at an apartment in a building located in Oxford and Reforma, where he again gave his story and in a photo album identifies the person who gave money to the Negro, to the consul MIRAVAL, to (REDACTED) another employee who performs ordinance functions at the Cuban Embassy and the Cuban Consul, as well as other people who he has seen in that Diplomatic Mission who later gave him $500 and told him to change to a Hotel and tell them what this was and the name he would use for it, which he did the following day or September 27 in which he delivered to (REDACTED) a card with the requested data, but to date they had not been put back in communication with him.

After having made the aforementioned statements, (REDACTED) I state verbatim the following

" That spontaneously and after reconsidering, he wishes to state that the North American whom he has referred to in the body of his statement and who he says he saw on September 18 of the current year at the Cuban Consulate, had a certain resemblance in 60 sixty percent to LEE HARVEY OSWALD (assassin of the President of the United States).

(p22)

That after the assassination of President Kennedy, the declarant took advantage of this fact in his favour to exploit it by providing versions such as those initially indicated in order to provoke an energetic reaction from the political point of view on the part of the United States of America, against the Government of FIDEL CASTRO RUZ, and that he had no other reason than the deep hatred he feels for communism and that he regrets at this time, not having achieved its objective, in the sense of causing some reaction of the North American Government against that of FIDEL CASTRO.  That the telephone call to which he also referred earlier in his statement, was not made on September 20, as I indicate, but after the death of President Kennedy, and precisely on the 25th twenty-fifth day of the current month in which I mark the number 46-94-00, which corresponds to the consumer of the North American Embassy and from where they provided him the number 181 one hundred and eighty-one as an extension to speak in the terms that he has already mentioned. "

Edited by Pete Mellor
Add info