The Education Forum

Why Tim Weiner Never Called Me

This is my longer reply to Tim Weiner and his utterly moronic hit piece on JFK Revisited.  The guy could not even bring himself to write the acronym ARRB.

But worse, he never called me to ask what my sources for the CIA alliance with the OAS to topple de Gaulle were.  They were not what he says they were. And I list them in the reply I post here.  That is a clear violation of journalistic ethics. It almost screams, I want to do a hatchet job, and I will not be hindered by the facts.

Finally, he knew JFK was withdrawing from Vietnam in 1963 and he does not deal with that in his article at all.  What hypocrisy.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/why-tim-weiner-never-called-me?fbclid=IwAR2Ec11pwcKcOQu_dz0fQL130-HYs_qLt6DzbOYefrqxOnoNdWz9jGUeZmU

Incidentally, the title of Weiner's hit piece in Rolling Stone was not even grammatical.  It ended with a preposition.

That was something up with which Winston Churchill would not put.

I mean, really, Max Holland?

But the thing is, even his old employer The New York Times contradicted him.

If you look at the video link I enclosed Gary Aguilar clearly won that debate with Max.  Holland used as his source for his data, the testimony of Richard Helms.

Tim Weiner is a weiner.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

This is my longer reply to Tim Weiner and his utterly moronic hit piece on JFK Revisited.  The guy could not even bring himself to write the acronym ARRB.

But worse, he never called me to ask what my sources for the CIA alliance with the OAS to topple de Gaulle were.  They were not what he says they were. And I list them in the reply I post here.  That is a clear violation of journalistic ethics. It almost screams, I want to do a hatchet job, and I will not be hindered by the facts.

Finally, he knew JFK was withdrawing from Vietnam in 1963 and he does not deal with that in his article at all.  What hypocrisy.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/why-tim-weiner-never-called-me?fbclid=IwAR2Ec11pwcKcOQu_dz0fQL130-HYs_qLt6DzbOYefrqxOnoNdWz9jGUeZmU

Good one. Do you think the CIA alliance with OAS might have continued? Do you dismiss the Souetre in Dallas on Nov 22 story?

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

This is my longer reply to Tim Weiner and his utterly moronic hit piece on JFK Revisited. 

First, the issue of Shaw's "CIA employment" is not yet settled as explained here:

Was Clay Shaw a "Contract Agent" for the CIA? (onthetrailofdelusion.com)

Second, the Oswald flyers were stamped 544 Camp St. as I recall. Banister had an office at 531 Camp and you could not reach his office via the 544 entrance. These facts contradict your statement that "[LHO] stamped his pro-Castro flyers with the address of the extremely rightwing Guy Banister."

544 Camp Street: Oliver Stone's JFK: The JFK 100: JFK assassination investigation: Jim Garrison New Orleans investigation of the John F. Kennedy assassination (jfk-online.com)

As I have noted before, what JFK would have ultimately done regarding Vietnam is unknowable. There is evidence on both sides as explained here in a balanced and comprehensive scholarly article:

Without Dallas: John F. Kennedy and the Vietnam War | American Diplomacy Est 1996 (unc.edu)

Finally, many of the ARRB "revelations" in your film are based on witness statements made 30 plus years after the events such as Stringer. Despite what you think, the fact that Stringer misremembers certain events doesn't "prove" any specific theory promoted by the film. Reviewers of the film llike Weiner and others know this. That is why they have given the film a poor review.

I really don't know about that Paul.  That is if it would have continued if the coup succeeded.  Probably yes.

But to show you how far out there Kennedy was on foreign policy, although the CIA objected to France setting Algeria free, Kennedy thought that France was not letting its former colonies be independent enough.  As Philip Muehlenebeck notes, in late 1963, he actually asked for countermeasures to try and loosen the grip that France was still asserting over its former colonies.

As per Souetre, that is something I am not sure about today.  That whole thing has been so confused by so many people.  Its a common problem in this case. 

But my original question was and is:  why did Tim not call me?  I think its pretty obvious.  Like Shenon, one you are NYT, you are always NYT.

28 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I really don't know about that Paul.  That is if it would have continued if the coup succeeded.  Probably yes.

But to show you how far out there Kennedy was on foreign policy, although the CIA objected to France setting Algeria free, Kennedy thought that France was not letting its former colonies be independent enough.  As Philip Muehlenebeck notes, in late 1963, he actually asked for countermeasures to try and loosen the grip that France was still asserting over its former colonies.

As per Souetre, that is something I am not sure about today.  That whole thing has been so confused by so many people.  Its a common problem in this case. 

But my original question was and is:  why did Tim not call me?  I think its pretty obvious.  Like Shenon, one you are NYT, you are always NYT.

I do not know how James DiEugenio finds the stomach to even read Tim Weiner and Alicia Long, etc.  DiEugenio is made of sterner stuff than I. 

Rolling Stone, Daily Beast, WaPo, NYT....the "liberal" media today is seriously ill. The right-wing media hardly any better. 

And the establishment, left- or right-, agrees censorship is a good idea.

The JFKA research community has few friends...but then what else is new? 

I actually don't and its bad for my liver.

But I kind of have to since they are misrepresenting what I wrote and what i actually researched and know to be true.

I mean when Long says that we should discount bullets and ballistics in a homicide case, I mean that is just loony tunes.

And when Tim W says the CIA was not really backing the OAS against de Gaulle?

Like I told someone in an interview today, the European press at Cannes gave the film 15 positive reviews and one negative. It actually played in two theaters at once in Rome, the four hour and the two hour version both.  I was mentioned in the Italian papers.  Australia showed all four parts in four weeks and we made three national papers with me on national TV.

But the American press is never going to admit they were dead wrong on this case.  And that their failure started a toboggan slide in the public's belief in both the press and the government.

But that is proved by the Kevin Phillips' graph in his book which I quoted in my reply to Tim the Weiner.  And his utterly inane article is proof of that denial.

9 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

For your added enjoyment, the official US paper for southeast asis area I read this very issue standing in the lobby of the Plaza Hotel on Tra Hung Dao in Saigon the morning of the issue. and....  I was not being replaced when my tour was completed in Feb '64. Appeared I was part of the first 1000...

Pacific Stars and Stripes 10-04-63.jpg

31 minutes ago, David G. Healy said:

For your added enjoyment, the official US paper for southeast asis area I read this very issue standing in the lobby of the Plaza Hotel on Tra Hung Dao in Saigon the morning of the issue. and....  I was not being replaced when my tour was completed in Feb '64. Appeared I was part of the first 1000...

Thats a helluva front page David.  The story and picture.  Koufax, Valachi Fingers Genovese.  Appearances can be deceiving.  I appreciate your service, even if it was a xxxxed up war.  

Edited by Ron Bulman

3 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I actually don't and its bad for my liver.

But I kind of have to since they are misrepresenting what I wrote and what i actually researched and know to be true.

I mean when Long says that we should discount bullets and ballistics in a homicide case, I mean that is just loony tunes.

And when Tim W says the CIA was not really backing the OAS against de Gaulle?

Like I told someone in an interview today, the European press at Cannes gave the film 15 positive reviews and one negative. It actually played in two theaters at once in Rome, the four hour and the two hour version both.  I was mentioned in the Italian papers.  Australia showed all four parts in four weeks and we made three national papers with me on national TV.

But the American press is never going to admit they were dead wrong on this case.  And that their failure started a toboggan slide in the public's belief in both the press and the government.

But that is proved by the Kevin Phillips' graph in his book which I quoted in my reply to Tim the Weiner.  And his utterly inane article is proof of that denial.

Hope you don't end up with a bad liver And a broken heart,  . . . "maybe that's what songs are for".

1 hour ago, David G. Healy said:

Wow, David, I've never seen that before. Sort of the inside scuttlebutt.

God that is a great front cover.  The whole attempt to make that disappear is disgraceful.

Thanks David.

Never heard of that song Ron,  are you a musicologist?

43 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

God that is a great front cover.  The whole attempt to make that disappear is disgraceful.

Thanks David.

Especially the photo of Koufax. 

Those were the days....

17 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Thanks David.

No, never any formal study of the subject.  Read a few biographies/autobiographies and articles over the years.  Hank Williams, Keith Richards, Merle Haggard a few more.  Rolling Stone articles and more.