The Education Forum

Ferdinand Kuhn Visits the Secret Service in 1957.

382951985_secretservice.jpg.1629c8003033d4cefdc0ef1d4cb463ef.jpg

...We came across Ferdinand Kuhn way before we came across his book. Absent his Deep State bonafides, we would not have had the motivation to look at the book from the perspective of an assassination planner.

The first time we saw the name Ferdinand Kuhn, was when we were making notes from the FBI file of Maria DeBlasio Wilhelm, the mother of New York City Mayor “Bill DeBlasio” (real name, Warren Wilhelm Jr.)

The FBI file on Maria DeBlasio was assembled in Spring/Summer 1953 as part of the broad look at Communist infiltration within the US Government. Ferdinand is listed by Maria as one of three references. In 1953, Maria had known Ferdinand about 9 years.

Maria DeBlasio had numerous connections to intelligence agencies. She worked for the OSS. Her husband, Warren Wilhelm Sr. (aka Kingsley Wilhelm)  and his brother George Wilhelm Jr. played a roll in the CIA’s 1953 Coup in Iran (George was commissioned by  Richard M. Helms in 1961 to ghost write the memoirs of the Shah of Iran.) ...

Maria De Blasio’s Boss, Ferdinand Kuhn, Visits the Secret Service in 1957.

Follow up

13 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

382951985_secretservice.jpg.1629c8003033d4cefdc0ef1d4cb463ef.jpg

...We came across Ferdinand Kuhn way before we came across his book. Absent his Deep State bonafides, we would not have had the motivation to look at the book from the perspective of an assassination planner.

The first time we saw the name Ferdinand Kuhn, was when we were making notes from the FBI file of Maria DeBlasio Wilhelm, the mother of New York City Mayor “Bill DeBlasio” (real name, Warren Wilhelm Jr.)

The FBI file on Maria DeBlasio was assembled in Spring/Summer 1953 as part of the broad look at Communist infiltration within the US Government. Ferdinand is listed by Maria as one of three references. In 1953, Maria had known Ferdinand about 9 years.

Maria DeBlasio had numerous connections to intelligence agencies. She worked for the OSS. Her husband, Warren Wilhelm Sr. (aka Kingsley Wilhelm)  and his brother George Wilhelm Jr. played a roll in the CIA’s 1953 Coup in Iran (George was commissioned by  Richard M. Helms in 1961 to ghost write the memoirs of the Shah of Iran.) ...

Maria De Blasio’s Boss, Ferdinand Kuhn, Visits the Secret Service in 1957.

Follow up

I have this book, as I have all the Secret Service books thru the years. It is pretty basic and dated.

5 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

I have this book, as I have all the Secret Service books thru the years. It is pretty basic and dated.

I could have sworn I replied earlier.

"basic and dated"

The article calls it "quaint."

Maybe all 3 because it was written in 1957.

The book is certainly less interesting than the author.

What Secret Service Books were written before the assassination?

7 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I could have sworn I replied earlier.

"basic and dated"

The article calls it "quaint."

Maybe all 3 because it was written in 1957.

The book is certainly less interesting than the author.

What Secret Service Books were written before the assassination?

Baughman, U.E. Secret Service Chief. New York: Harper & Row, Popular Library edition, January 1963.

Bowen, Walter S. & Harry E. Neal. The United States Secret Service. Philadelphia: Chilton Company and Book Division Publishers, 1960.

Donovan, Robert J. The Assassins. New York: Popular Library, 1962.

Hyde, Wayne. What Does A Secret Service Agent Do? New York: Dodd, Mead, and Co., 1962.

Kuhn, Ferdinand. The Story of the Secret Service. New York: Random House, 1957.

Mogelever, Jacob. Death To Traitors- The Story of General Lafayette C. Baker, Lincoln’s Forgotten Secret Service Chief. Doubleday, 1960.

Reilly, Michael. Reilly of the White House. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1946.

Starling, Edmund W. and T. Sagrue. Starling of the White House. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1946.

Welcome back, Rob.   Como estas, amigo?  Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano Nuevo en los swamps de Jersey! 🤥

I'm guessing that you're mainly interested in ferreting out something malodorous about Bill DeBlasio here.

Did you find anything?

53 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Welcome back, Rob.   Como estas, amigo?  Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano Nuevo en los swamps de Jersey! 🤥

I'm guessing that you're mainly interested in ferreting out something malodorous about Bill DeBlasio here.

Did you find anything?

Bob and Ben what a pair we'll have there.  I thought maybe he'd just got out, hadn't had internet access in a while.

Right, but...everybody understands that this is essentially a book for kids, yes?  Well-read kids, but still.  I had this book during the Johnson admin.

The Landmark Books series had titles on Custer and Pocahantas, and "Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia."  Period schlockmeisters like Quentin Reynolds were well represented, as well as some slumming condescenders high-toned novice pedagogues such as John Toland and Robert Penn Warren.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmark_Books_(series)

I mean, if Whittaker Chambers were on the Landmark list, it would hardly be noteworthy.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:16 PM, David Andrews said:

Right, but...everybody understands that this is essentially a book for kids, yes?  Well-read kids, but still.  I had this book during the Johnson admin.

The Landmark Books series had titles on Custer and Pocahantas, and "Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia."  Period schlockmeisters like Quentin Reynolds were well represented, as well as some slumming condescenders high-toned novice pedagogues such as John Toland and Robert Penn Warren.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmark_Books_(series)

I mean, if Whittaker Chambers were on the Landmark list, it would hardly be noteworthy.

Maria DeBlasio worked with Whitaker Chambers at Time, now that you mention him.

Sure it’s a kids book. It’s not supposed to be     a “how to” book.

The fun part is Ferdinand Kuhn, obviously.

He was DeBlasio’s boss at the OSS. 
His father was paling around in the Catskills with the Warburgs and Schiff’s at the start of the Century.

We already know about all kinds of DeBlasio / Wilhelm CIA connections. 

Donald George Wilhelm Jr. (the mayors uncle) was commissioned by Richard Helms to ghost write the Shahs memoirs in ‘61.

Warren Wilhelm Sr. (Mayors dad) was a Texaco Executive when former Texaco boss Torkvild Reiber took a trip to Iran in 1953 with Word Bank Director Hector Prud’homme Jr. to see if the country’s oil industry infrastructure would suffice as a source of collateral. 

Prud’hommes brother in law Richard Bissell I believe was still working for the Ford Foundation at that point I believe, so no explicit CIA connection there, just implied.

Weird that Maria DeBlasio’s FBI file was prompted by an application to work at the World Bank.

I’m sure Ferdinand Kuhn didn’t know anything about the CIA when he asked the Secret Service for access.

I’m sure he didn’t take notes on which agent likes his bourbon too much, or the company of ladies who are not their wives, or no ladies at all, just secretly, the company of men.

To suggest the Ferdinand Kuhn had CIA connections is preposterous!

To imply Ferdinand Kuhn loved writing kids books so much, he wrote his second and last kids book about the Secret Service as a feint to meet the Treasury Department boys is fantasy!

The CIA would never stoop so low.

One should never consider a scion of the Kuhn Loeb & Company extended family might have ulterior motives.

You know who also worked under Ferdinand Kuhn at the OSS and who “ratted” out Marie DeBlasio as a Commie?

Elaine Carr. She was from Yonkers.

We can’t find Census Records on her, or her family. We want to see if she is related to Sam Carr, the grumpy old man with the dog that annoyed David Berkowitz. We can’t find reliable Sam Carr records either. His family census records seem to have been switched out for a Russian immigrant family that went by the name of Czar.

Hey guys, it’s a kids book. 

DeBlasio's out of office now.  Why don't you e-mail him with queries?  Tell him I said, Hi.

It's not [slap] a kids' book! [slap]  Ya still [slap] think it's a [slap] kids' book?

Welcome back, Robert.

Edited by David Andrews

On 1/5/2022 at 2:25 AM, Joseph McBride said:

I read Baughman's book before the JFK assassination. It is quite interesting

about standard Secret Service procedures, especially when you re-read

it in light of Dallas.

Very true!

On 1/13/2022 at 11:15 PM, David Andrews said:

DeBlasio's out of office now.  Why don't you e-mail him with queries?  Tell him I said, Hi.

It's not [slap] a kids' book! [slap]  Ya still [slap] think it's a [slap] kids' book?

Welcome back, Robert.

You are correct. De Blasio is out of office.

You seem to know De Blasio, or he would know you, from your NYU days if I remember. (I could see De Blasio at Down the Hatch eating Buffalo wings for the 8 hours on a Sunday it takes the Jets and Giants to both lose. I have. Good times.) Ask him whatever you want.

Nobody really cares about the former Mayor in this context. 

His mother has the more interesting CV as it relates to the JFK Assassination. "Mamma" De Blasio is no longer with us but at least we have her FBI "is mommy a commie" files.

Maybe she was a "Commie". Maybe she was just playing the part. In either case, she had some interesting friends and relatives. She is only separated by one or two degrees from CIA types like Richard Helms and Richard Bissell. Her father-in-law is a not of connections to figures like Herbert Hoover, Edward Bernays and AEC Chairman Lewis Lichtenstein Strauss (also Kuhn Loeb partner, also Forrestal's secretary.)

The former mayor is kind of funny though. Whether you think he was a good mayor or not, he did play-up the Brooklyn Italian family stereotype.

He did give the impression that Nonna De Blasio was cooking sauce all day over a hot stove and hand rolling out pasta, made from scratch, for her lasagna. She probably did, but she also went to Smith when most future Italian grandmothers of that era were hoping to take a typing class in the parish basement after school and her after he after school job. The De Blasio family was definitely not your typical Italian family. 

Italian Grandma Test.

What's in this tin at Nonna's house?

Click to see if you are correct.
Answer (totally safe for work.)

2 hours ago, David Andrews said:

I'm sure Ethel Rosenberg kept a tin like that as well.  But how guilty was she?

Depression era parents and grandparents seem to repurpose everything, so Ethel's tin probably had sewing supplies, or used stamps and broken pencils. Any form of disappointment for kids, expecting cookies, that would fit. Ethel wasn't guilty at all, Julius, criminal conspiracy at most.

7 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Italian Grandma Test.

What's in this tin at Nonna's house?

Click to see if you are correct.
Answer (totally safe for work.)

Hey, Rob, thanks for the memories!  🤥

My Slovenian aunts used to keep their sewing gear in tins like these.

Although, for the most part, they baked their own cookies and potica (poh-TEET-sah.)

Lawrence Welk – Memories With Lawrence Welk (1984, Gatefold, Vinyl) -  Discogs

Edited by W. Niederhut