The Education Forum

Traffic

If Oswald after leaving the TSBD got on the bus, then off the bus, before the officers who searched it arrived.  Then found the taxi, wouldn't it have had problems with the traffic getting him so quickly to just past his rooming house in Oak Cliff?

I suspect that once he got past the freeway and over the bridge there would have been little traffic and what there was primarily northbound.  Most of the traffic would be going past the plaza and onto the freeway access ramps or coming into downtown Dallas from Oak Cliff in the morning and at that time of day.   Local traffic would be much lighter.  Even today, at least over the last several years,  that has been my experience around noon time.  Once over the bridge  and into Oak Cliff you would have been free of much of the downtown Dallas traffic.

The bigger head shaking pondering for me is the impossibly improbable and unchecked "walk away" for Oswald right after he allegedly shot three super loud high caliber rifle shots at JFK in broad daylight and right in front of hundreds of bystanders just feet below.

And hitting him twice with the second hit a "farther away" better aim, perfect skull obliterating "Bullseye" into a 8 to 9 inch wide circle 265 feet away and that was moving 10 mph farther away and downward the entire shooting time sequence?

One can't help imagine the hand sweating, breath taking, life and death fearing tension anyone must have felt doing what Oswald or someone else supposedly did.

You just loudly shot the president of the U.S. and took off his head! In front of hundreds of eye witnesses! 

Oswald or whoever did the shooting "must have sensed" their life was in the most highest threat danger during the shooting and seconds and minutes after. 

Yet, Oswald supposedly saunters down 4 flights of wooden stairs unseen to the TXSBD second floor, walks into the lunch room and over to the soda pop machine, deposits 25 cents, gets a Dr. Pepper and stands there calmly sipping this as a big, super anxious gun pointing DPD officer bursts in and confronts him before Roy Truly redirects the officer's suspicion and they both run off and up the stairs.

And seconds or minutes later Oswald is walking around the first floor lobby and even giving news reporter Robert McNeil directions to a wall mounted pay phone?

Then, it's off to the bus stop. Calmly getting on, paying his fare, grabbing a seat and riding this until this bus gets stalled in traffic.

Then departing the bus and hailing a taxi,  Southern Gentleman Oswald graciously gives up the first available taxi to a Southern Belle lady looking as if she needed the ride more than he?

This scenario of JFK's alleged assassin escaping the frantic search hornets nest scene of the Texas School Book building so pedestrianly is highly if not impossibly improbable to me.

Why did it take more than 3 to 5 minutes to secure every entrance and exit to the TXSBD?

How long was Oswald in the TXSCB before he finally walked out and away?

In a way, one could look at Oswald's poorest working class escape plan as brilliant and totally a success if he actually did the shooting. And his noted calmness through it all and even interacting with half a dozen people during this an incredible, almost unbelievable marvel of emotional control.

Edited by Joe Bauer

11 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

I suspect that once he got past the freeway and over the bridge there would have been little traffic and what there was primarily northbound.  Most of the traffic would be going past the plaza and onto the freeway access ramps or coming into downtown Dallas from Oak Cliff in the morning and at that time of day.   Local traffic would be much lighter.  Even today, at least over the last several years,  that has been my experience around noon time.  Once over the bridge  and into Oak Cliff you would have been free of much of the downtown Dallas traffic.

Didn't he catch the cab at the bus station?  Per the official story.  It's further back up Elm from where the bus was.  Theoretically it would have encountered the same traffic jam as the bus.  A cab driver might have maneuvered around this but Whaley never mentions such.  I have to wonder if this is not all hocus pocus from the dpd and wc.  That Oswald ran down the slope near the grassy knoll nearer the railroad tracks to the rambler seems more realistic.

Edited by Ron Bulman

Yes that's right Ron, I thought you were talking about traffic further down the street and into Oak Cliff.   I suppose it depends on the actual cab route and where the bus was stuck in traffic.  They were holding traffic coming down Elm at that TSBD intersection but as you say Whatley could have gone around several blocks and come down Houston onto Main and down past the TSBD as we see cars doing that....   All gets back to how he drove it.

3 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

Yes that's right Ron, I thought you were talking about traffic further down the street and into Oak Cliff.   I suppose it depends on the actual cab route and where the bus was stuck in traffic.  They were holding traffic coming down Elm at that TSBD intersection but as you say Whatley could have gone around several blocks and come down Houston onto Main and down past the TSBD as we see cars doing that ...   All gets back to how he drove it.

Experienced cab drivers are experts at finding alternate driving routes to get their fares to their destinations when traffic backs up from my experience. They know the streets like the back of their hands.

Dallas Sheriff Roger Craig's account of Oswald's response in Captain Fritz's interrogation room regards Oswald being asked about Officer Craig supposedly seeing him run down the grass outside of the TXSBD and into a pulled over station wagon throws another wrench into the machinery.

Craig stated that Oswald responded " that car belongs to Ruth Paine. Don't try to pull her into this."