The Education Forum

Mockingbird and MKULTRA

Ron Bulman

On 1/31/2022 at 8:22 PM, Ron Bulman said:

I found this about William Joseph Bryan today looking for info on Sirhan's most recent Psychiatrist, which was fruitless so far in that respect.  I did not know Bryan was a grandson of William Jennings Bryan.  A good bit more I didn't know in it as well.

MIND GAMES: ‘William Joseph Bryan’, Sirhan’s Handler & Set-Up Maestro Extraordinaire (Flashback) | RIELPOLITIK

This ties in with info in both Lisa Pease A Lie Too Big To Fail and the interview of Dr. Daniel Brown posted on W's thread about Eastabrooks.

From Lisa's book, pg. 445:

"One special clue from Sirhan's notebook suggests that whatever Sirhan was writing on some pages in his notebook may have been at the instigation of another.  Upside down on the edge of one page of writing is the writing is the handwriting of another person, the words "Electronic equipment this appears to be the right amount of preponderance."  Whoever was working with Sirhan appeared to be using a machine in conjunction with the hypnosis.  The only hypnotist in the Los Angeles area to have been pictured in a local paper in front of electrical equipment that allowed him to hypnotize people was Dr. William J. Bryan.  In 1972, Bryan was pictured by the Associated Press at a console into which he inserted tapes that allowed him to hypnotize and monitor three people at once through the use of closed circuit TV.  A book review mentioned Bryan's "offices in San Diego and Los Angeles" and further described Bryan's invention, a hypnosis machine that allowed him to hypnotize several people at once:

Despite his impressive credentials, Bryan comes off as a kook.  He is noted for his BEAR, Bryan Electronic Automated Robot hypnotist, which can "simultaneously hypnotize seven patients in two cities, plug hem into and out of their trances, and provide each with personalized therapeutic suggestions while Bryan plays golf or whatever else turns him on."

Dr. Brown found Sirhan remembered being in a hospital with bars on the windows and all the other patients having "head injuries".  When he left, after two weeks, he went across the street to a diner, with a shortwave radio, and met a man in horn rimmed glasses who talked to him about politics.  He bought a shortwave radio from a neighbor per his brother who remembers him listening to it.  He remembered listening to a station with a strong signal, close by? 

Dr. Brown found that Sirhan could write out morse code under hypnosis though he didn't understand it when not hypnotized.  His journals are generally nonsensical to a casual observer.  A crazed man?  More clues there.

Did Bryan write the upside down note in Sirhan's journal(s)?

Edited by Ron Bulman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

This ties in with info in both Lisa Pease A Lie Too Big To Fail and the interview of Dr. Daniel Brown posted on W's thread about Eastabrooks.

From Lisa's book, pg. 445:

"One special clue from Sirhan's notebook suggests that whatever Sirhan was writing on some pages in his notebook may have been at the instigation of another.  Upside down on the edge of one page of writing is the writing is the handwriting of another person, the words "Electronic equipment this appears to be the right amount of preponderance."  Whoever was working with Sirhan appeared to be using a machine in conjunction with the hypnosis.  The only hypnotist in the Los Angeles area to have been pictured in a local paper in front of electrical equipment that allowed him to hypnotize people was Dr. William J. Bryan.  In 1972, Bryan was pictured by the Associated Press at a console into which he inserted tapes that allowed him to hypnotize and monitor three people at once through the use of closed circuit TV.  A book review mentioned Bryan's "offices in San Diego and Los Angeles" and further described Bryan's invention, a hypnosis machine that allowed him to hypnotize several people at once:

Despite his impressive credentials, Bryan comes off as a kook.  He is noted for his BEAR, Bryan Electronic Automated Robot hypnotist, which can "simultaneously hypnotize seven patients in two cities, plug hem into and out of their trances, and provide each with personalized therapeutic suggestions while Bryan plays golf or whatever else turns him on."

Dr. Brown found Sirhan remembered being in a hospital with bars on the windows and all the other patients having "head injuries".  When he left, after two weeks, he went across the street to a diner, with a shortwave radio, and met a man in horn rimmed glasses who talked to him about politics.  He bought a shortwave radio from a neighbor per his brother who remembers him listening to it.  He remembered listening to a station with a strong signal, close by? 

Dr. Brown found that Sirhan could write out morse code under hypnosis though he didn't understand it when not hypnotized.  His journals are generally nonsensical to a casual observer.  A crazed man?  More clues there.

Did Bryan write the upside down note in Sirhan's journal(s)?

Ron,

Bryan, certainly, seems like a prime suspect in Sirhan's Manchurian candidate programming. 

According to Bryan's Wikipedia page, he was involved in both ARTICHOKE and MK-ULTRA, but John Marks never mentioned him in connection with either op in his 1979 book, The Search For the Manchurian Candidate.

It's an odd omission, because Marks listed numerous other doctors involved in those programs. 

Apparently, Bryan's history with ARTICHOKE and MK-ULTRA was scrubbed from the CIA records in 1973.

Then he died in 1977 at 50 from a heart attack in Vegas, or murder or suicide(d) after a weekend with underaged prostitutes ???  (read links above).  

Right when the House Sub Comittie on Assassinations started working.  My what an interesting conundrum.

What was it Seven top FBI agent's died in a year, look it up!  On this site.   George De Moherenschildt supposedly committed suicide an hour before an interview with Gaeton Fonzi of the HSCA.  Johnny Roselli found chopped up floating in an oil drum on the coast of Florida.  An odd set of circumstances. 

13 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Then he died in 1977 at 50 from a heart attack in Vegas, or murder or suicide(d) after a weekend with underaged prostitutes ???  (read links above).  

Right when the House Sub Comittie on Assassinations started working.  My what an interesting conundrum.

What was it Seven top FBI agent's died in a year, look it up!  On this site.   George De Moherenschildt supposedly committed suicide an hour before an interview with Gaeton Fonzi of the HSCA.  Johnny Roselli found chopped up floating in an oil drum on the coast of Florida.  An odd set of circumstances. 

And Sam Giancana murdered in his home by someone he invited to dinner, around the same time that De Mohrenschildt "committed suicide."

You make an interesting point about the timing of Bryan's death.  I wonder if Congress was planning to question him about his involvement in ARTICHOKE and MK-ULTRA.

On 2/19/2022 at 1:11 PM, W. Niederhut said:

And Sam Giancana murdered in his home by someone he invited to dinner, around the same time that De Mohrenschildt "committed suicide."

You make an interesting point about the timing of Bryan's death.  I wonder if Congress was planning to question him about his involvement in ARTICHOKE and MK-ULTRA.

I kind of backed up on my post you quoted.  The HSCA specifically excluded the RFKA "because it was a slam dunk" but included that of MLK.  So theoretically, geographically Bryan wouldn't be considered in the JFKA.

Then I remembered that tidbit buried somewhere above about Bryan teaching David Ferrie hypnotism.  I need to go back and re read that, don't remember the source at the moment.  

But that got me to thinking.  Bryan was based in LA in the 1950-60's, though I Think I've read he had a San Diego office too.  He bragged about working for the CIA (a deadly choice ultimately?).  Well, Oswald's basic training was in San Diego.  At which time it seems he acquired his Communistic thoughts, and learned Russian, quickly.  Might he have had two personalities when he left for Russia?  

One maybe turned off when he came back, after being debriefed, another created for a different purpose?

If Bryan might somehow have been involved, it would have been handy to have had a former student like David Ferrie supervising His former student Oswald in the summer of 1963 in New Orleans.

Speculation.  Logical possibilites based at least in part on facts?

On 2/22/2022 at 12:15 AM, Ron Bulman said:

I kind of backed up on my post you quoted.  The HSCA specifically excluded the RFKA "because it was a slam dunk" but included that of MLK.  So theoretically, geographically Bryan wouldn't be considered in the JFKA.

Then I remembered that tidbit buried somewhere above about Bryan teaching David Ferrie hypnotism.  I need to go back and re read that, don't remember the source at the moment.  

But that got me to thinking.  Bryan was based in LA in the 1950-60's, though I Think I've read he had a San Diego office too.  He bragged about working for the CIA (a deadly choice ultimately?).  Well, Oswald's basic training was in San Diego.  At which time it seems he acquired his Communistic thoughts, and learned Russian, quickly.  Might he have had two personalities when he left for Russia?  

One maybe turned off when he came back, after being debriefed, another created for a different purpose?

If Bryan might somehow have been involved, it would have been handy to have had a former student like David Ferrie supervising His former student Oswald in the summer of 1963 in New Orleans.

Speculation.  Logical possibilites based at least in part on facts?

William Bryan's San Diego history is probably related to his alleged WWII service in the U.S. Navy.  But I've had difficulty tracking down any details about his life and work for the CIA.  Obviously, his famous grandfather was from Nebraska, but I can't even find information about where he went to college and medical school.  I'm curious about whether he had met or been trained in hypnosis by Estabrooks at some point.

Judging from his book, Religion and Hypnosis, Bryan was, obviously, raised as a Protestant, and was, at least, superficially pious before his descent into drug abuse, carousing with prostitutes, and sexual abuse of patients in the 60s and 70s.  He must have been quite the psychopath to program Sirhan in the plot to murder Bobby Kennedy.

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

William Bryan's San Diego history is probably related to his alleged WWII service in the U.S. Navy.  But I've had difficulty tracking down any details about his life and work for the CIA.  Obviously, his famous grandfather was from Nebraska, but I can't even find information about where he went to college and medical school.  I'm curious about whether he had met or been trained in hypnosis by Estabrooks at some point.

Judging from his book, Religion and Hypnosis, Bryan was, obviously, raised as a Protestant, and was, at least, superficially pious before his descent into drug abuse, carousing with prostitutes, and sexual abuse of patients in the 60s and 70s.  He must have been quite the psychopath to program Sirhan in the plot to murder Bobby Kennedy.

It is interesting nothing is found about his youth or education doing multiple search combinations.  He is credited at one point I found as one of the founders of modern hypnotherapy, second only to Dr. Milton Erickson and as the first full time medical practitioner of hypnosis in the USA.

Various sources mention his being a MD, JD and PhD but not where any of these degrees come from.  Born in 1926 he would have been 20 years old at the end of WWII.  If he started college at 18 in 1944 and started his career with the military during the Korean war, by at least 1953 . . .  That means he obtained a Medical Doctor (including residency) degree, a Law Degree, and the PhD (from Where, any of them?) in less than nine years by age 27.  Quite impressive

After Korea and the Military he goes straight to the CIA, Artichoke then MKULTRA.  Then in 1955 he founds The American Institute of Hypnosis.  Yet "Refused membership in all traditional medical societies" Turner and Christian The Assassination of Robert F. Kennedy, pg. 226.

I wish there was more on him teaching David Ferrie hypnosis.  Along with where he went to school.

I think he was at least a peer of Dr. Jolyon West in MKULTRA if not a superior.

44 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

It is interesting nothing is found about his youth or education doing multiple search combinations.  He is credited at one point I found as one of the founders of modern hypnotherapy, second only to Dr. Milton Erickson and as the first full time medical practitioner of hypnosis in the USA.

Various sources mention his being a MD, JD and PhD but not where any of these degrees come from.  Born in 1926 he would have been 20 years old at the end of WWII.  If he started college at 18 in 1944 and started his career with the military during the Korean war, by at least 1953 . . .  That means he obtained a Medical Doctor (including residency) degree, a Law Degree, and the PhD (from Where, any of them?) in less than nine years by age 27.  Quite impressive

After Korea and the Military he goes straight to the CIA, Artichoke then MKULTRA.  Then in 1955 he founds The American Institute of Hypnosis.  Yet "Refused membership in all traditional medical societies" Turner and Christian The Assassination of Robert F. Kennedy, pg. 226.

I wish there was more on him teaching David Ferrie hypnosis.  Along with where he went to school.

I think he was at least a peer of Dr. Jolyon West in MKULTRA if not a superior.

He was quite intelligent, but also nuts.  For example, in his strange book on Hypnosis and Religion, Bryan proposes a theory that the healing miracles of Jesus described in the New Testament were actually accomplished by hypnosis.  For example, he posits that the "lepers" healed by Jesus were actually not suffering from leprosy, but from neuro-dermatitis or Hansen's disease.

Some of his interpretations of the scriptures were so bizarre that I couldn't help laughing while reading the book.  But he was, obviously, quite serious and, evidently, pious.

Now that you mention David Ferrie, as I recall, he was also quite religious, and had even attended a Catholic seminary before embarking on his strange career as a CIA pilot, hypnotist, and anti-Castro gun runner.

"Bryan was a Bible quoting fundamentalist who belonged to a fire-and-brimstone sect called the Old Roman Catholic Church, which broke away from the Vatican over a century ago. . . .   Curiously, David W. Ferrie, . . . also belonged to this small sect.  From the Turner/Christian book, pg. 226.  They also mention Bryan preaching often at Southern California Baptist churches. 

Then online I found where Jack Martin (beaten by Guy Bannister on 11/22/63) told the FBI on 11/25/63 that Ferrie was an amateur hypnotist.  Also, reportedly Barry Seal and in turn the author of Barry And The Boys claimed he was a master hypnotist.

Was David Ferrie A Hypnotist? | The JFK Assassination Board (freeforums.net)

Edited by Ron Bulman