The Education Forum

Almost Everything in “Dr. Strangelove” Was True  

Almost Everything in “Dr. Strangelove” Was True

Almost Everything in “Dr. Strangelove” Was True | The New Yorker

From the article: President John F. Kennedy was surprised to learn, just a few weeks after taking office, about this secret delegation of power. “A subordinate commander faced with a substantial military action,” Kennedy was told in a top-secret memo, “could start the thermonuclear holocaust on his own initiative if he could not reach you.” Kennedy and his national-security advisers were shocked not only by the wide latitude given to American officers but also by the loose custody of the roughly three thousand American nuclear weapons stored in Europe. Few of the weapons had locks on them. Anyone who got hold of them could detonate them. And there was little to prevent nato officers from Turkey, Holland, Italy, Great Britain, and Germany from using them without the approval of the United States.

It's somewhat miraculous that those guys didn't incinerate the planet.

I first heard about the Joint Chiefs' plans to nuke the Soviet Union and China in October of '62 from Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States.

If I recall correctly, they were planning to launch the B-52s from Okinawa.

Seven Days in May, free on Youtube, is another great film, 1964, about a military putsch in the US.

JFK himself lent the White House to the film-makers for use, for a weekend. 

In my view, the putsch JFK feared succeeded, and has become institutionalized.

Today the public is trained to fear and obsess with ID politics and political oddballs...and overlook the global security state.