The Education Forum

JFK Revisited and Homophobia

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

I'm disappointed that no one cares about my curry recipe, especially since I have to go to the store now.

Certainly frozen peas David.  Too much sugar in tinned peas.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Sean Coleman said:

Actually, lentils are stupid. Chickpeas

I'm using frozen green peas, canned black eye peas, some canned corn (not as much as last time) and Thai red curry base over brown rice.  Last time I bought frozen peas, they were too hard in another recipe, but I'll take a chance with another brand.  A lot of times in restaurant curry (Indian), the peas look canned in color, but that may be a cold storage thing.  I worry that canned peas will turn to mush in this recipe.

Oh, yes - homophobia?

Edited by David Andrews

26 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

I'm using frozen green peas, canned black eye peas, some canned corn (not as much as last time) and Thai red curry base over brown rice.  Last time I bought frozen peas, they were too hard in another recipe, but I'll take a chance with another brand.  A lot of times in restaurant curry (Indian), the peas look canned in color, but that may be a cold storage thing.  I worry that canned peas will turn to mush in this recipe.

Oh, yes - homophobia?

Canned corn? That’s gmo my friend 

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Canned corn? That’s gmo my friend 

I doubt you'll see it off-the-cob in Indian or Thai restaurant cookery,  Besides, I'm going for this restaurant ethos of "unexpected western ingredients" - though I draw the line at the canned diced carrots I've seen in some Indian restaurant dishes. 

This homophobia thing?  Patently cooked up between Parnell and DiEugenio to boost JFK Revisited repeat rentals ahead of the four-hour version premiere.

Edited by David Andrews

3 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Oh, yes - homophobia?

Not a whole can of corn?

Baseball Lingo: The History of a “Can of Corn” – Baseball Training World

There is not one word about anyone's sexuality in JFK Revisited.

What there is in the film is:

1. An exposure of Shaw's hidden CIA career in which he had three classifications.

2. Shaw lying his head off about this.

I will post my full reply to this malarky in the JFK Revisited thread. And there is more to come on this.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:16 AM, Benjamin Cole said:

Sumner Welles, Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s brilliant diplomatic advisor and the man at the center of “the greatest national scandal since the existence of the United States

Oo, oo. Name rang a bell. I looked in Freedom From Fear, David M. Kennedy's history of the period 1929-1945. Multiple references in the index.

I'm early into reading The Golden Age now, Gore Vidal's historical fiction novel of the period 1939-1953. It is, regrettably, the last in his "Narratives of Empire" series, and was published in 2000. Vidal's historical fiction mixed invented characters with real historical events and people. Not one to overlook any assassination, disaster, hypocrisy or scandal. I'm sure to read a bit more on Welles.

10 hours ago, W. Tracy Parnell said:

My opinion is Garrison's probe was based on homophobia for the reasons given by Fred, Kirchick and Alecia Long. Stone's 1991 film was homophobic and he faced protests at the time. The current film is homophobic by omission since it is not honest with the viewer and does not repudiate the homophobic elements of the previous film. Anyone can read the articles I linked to find out more or read the books by Long and Fred.

Kirchick has been criticized for denying that Shaw worked for the CIA but not mentioning the statement by CIA historian McDonald that Shaw was a "highly paid contract source" until 1956. I agree to the extent that Kirchick would have been better off to include this information and Fred's rebuttal of it. This would have averted criticism on that issue. Otherwise, I agree with him.

The problem is Tracy that whatever homophobic subtext may be interpreted from the investigation and film it's irrelevant to whether the evidence of the case against Shaw has merit or not. Shaw being a homosexual doesn't weigh one way or the other in the question of whether he was in Clinton or not with Ferrie and Oswald. At that time, it wasn't unusual for gay men to associate largely with one another - could that be relevant? CIA sources and contacts typically don't carry business cards with "CIA SPY" written on them and especially "contract employees". It's only an expression which actually means "deniable" and by implication suggests he is performing work the Agency either deems not worthy of full-time employment or the more likely "prosecutable somewhere...".

Circle back around and we find the CIA engaging in a robust operation to fight off Garrison's inquiry against a gay man who was supposedly just providing the CIA with pictures of traffic circles in Prague. 

I think not. Sorry.

This is why I have Parnell on ignore but then someone quotes him.

The current film is homophobic by omission?   Talk about slanted.

We exposed Shaw's CIA hidden past.  Which Litwin tried to cover up and Long never goes into.

BTW, was it just a coincidence that David Phillips began the CIA's anti FPCC crusade (which Oswald was certainly a part of) and Dave also started the DRE (which conveniently became Oswald's opponent and sent him to jail)?

And did not all that come in handy on the day of the assassination? I would say that nothing was more instrumental in selling the nation on who Oswald was.

And it was all a lie. 

Edited by James DiEugenio

11 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

This is why I have Parnell on ignore but the someone quotes him.

The current film is homophobic by omission?   Talk about slanted.

We exposed Shaw's CIA hidden past.  Which Litwin tried to cover up and Long never goes into.

The current film is also pro-commie by ommission. Let's not forget.

LOL, nice one Bob.👋

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

BTW, was it just a coincidence that David Phillips began the CIA's anti FPCC crusade (which Oswald was certainly a part of) and Dave also started the DRE (which conveniently became Oswald's opponent and sent him to jail)?

Phillips' job was anti-Cuban propaganda, so it certainly was no coincidence. No evidence that this "crusade" had anything to do with Oswald though. He was just a one-man operation that nobody paid attention to until he presented himself to Bringuier. 

Phillips did not "start" the DRE. By Morley's own account, he met with one or two of the DRE leaders in his office in Havana. He helped them get to the US. When they got there, they were met by Kent and Crozier who helped them start the DRE after a series of meetings. Phillips soon changed jobs and went to Mexico and had little to do with the group thereafter. This will be covered in my book.

5 hours ago, Bob Ness said:

The current film is also pro-commie by ommission. Let's not forget.

Here are the omissions I am referring to.

JFK Revisited states that Shaw was arrested, "on charges that he was part of the conspiracy to kill President Kennedy …” But the film does not mention that Shaw was acquitted of the conspiracy changes. But it does make a big deal out of the fact that LHO never "had his day" in court. 

Nor does the film mention the Christenberry decision that prevented Garrison from prosecuting Shaw further and noted the violation of his constitutional rights.

Finally, there is a lineage here from Garrison to JFK to JFK Revisited. If the grandfather is rotten (rotten meaning based on homophobia which is proven now by two books) then the father and son are rotten as well.