The Education Forum

The LBJ/ Dulles photo

https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/lyndon-johnson-1960-johnson-city-usa-6006463a

Two questions, is this the only photo of them at LBJ's ranch?

is this the proper date, 1960?

Dulles was among those who maintained warm relations with the vice president, even as both men’s stars fell within the Kennedy court. In retirement, the spymaster continued to invite Johnson to Washington functions. And, in the summer of 1963, Johnson hosted Dulles at his ranch in the Texas Hill Country, sixty miles west of Austin. Dulles’s visit to the LBJ Ranch did not appear in his calendar, but it was briefly noted in a syndicated news photo, which appeared in the Chicago Tribune on August 15, that showed the vice president astride a horse, while a beaming Lady Bird and Dulles looked on. Considering how estranged both men were from Kennedy—and how notoriously conniving they were—the picture could only have produced a sense of puzzlement in the White House.”

https://erenow.net/modern/the-devils-chessboard-allen-dulles-the-cia/19.php

51 minutes ago, Chris Barnard said:

Some discussion here:

The picture in the link in the first post on this 2015 thread, from Vince Palamara's website, is no longer there. I thought it was of LBJ on a horse with Dulles standing beside them.  If so, in regards to Jim's question, as Larry and others explain in the thread, while used in the Fort Worth Press five days before the assassination, it was from Dulles visit in 1960.  If so, there was probably more than one picture taken at the ranch.

See picture # 19 in this link, not the one I was thinking of.  But all likely from the same day.

PHOTOS: Today in history -- July 28 (denverpost.com)

Edited by Ron Bulman

That is a nice catch Ron.. Hammarskjold was a great statesman as JFK said after he died.

Glad Oliver kept that Congo segment in the short version of the film.

But I have to say, Larry, if you believe that AC guy's note for SAS, I have a Commission Exhibit for you, its called CE 399.

Jim, not sure what your reference is there in regard to the AC guy and SAS but I have to give credit on the Dulles photo find to Jack White as he located the original newspaper article which contained the ranch photo in the newspaper morgue in Forth Worth - from the actual date of the visit.  He shared that around long, long ago but I don't expect the photo issue will ever go away despite his work on it.  What CE399 has to do with the photo escapes me.