The Education Forum

Would a knoll shooter have time to escape?

Hi Chris,

Somebody posted the drain layouts and details along with some photos inside the north knoll drain, plus some other pics of the drains as it led back to the trinity river on Robert Harris's jfk assassination website years ago,  I'm sure i saved the photos on an old laptop but where that is now I'm not sure....

You could get right up under the plaza all the way to the court house building and beyond thru the underground drain system apparently. That was featured on some 80's tv special. I remember watching and being amazed. Footage must be out there somewhere. 

From memory the Elm Street drain where the manhole cover was on the sidewalk had a much smaller size opening (approximately 10 to 12 inches in diameter) for its water run off pipe. The opening up on the grassy knoll drain was 2 feet or more in diameter. 

Was it likely to have been used as an escape route??? Probably not, but was it possible....in my opinion yes!

Try and find the Cabluck photo i mentioned.....there are two versions.....but only 1 was available up until 2005 or 2006, now that version has disappeared and a new one exists. Robin Unger may be able to help.

Regards Adam 

Chris's scenario of a shooter stashing the rifle into the trunk of a car standing feet away from the shooter appears a plausible solution of GK shooter's escape problem. Josiah Thompson in his last book "Last second in Dallas" suggested the same scenario, proposing that the car stayed until evening of that fateful Friday.

However, how can this scenario be reconciled with the testimony of deaf-mute witness Ed Hoffman? Hoffman saw a well dressed man, possibly the shooter, to hand over the rifle to a man dressed like a railroad man, and that man knocked down and hid the rifle, and walked away in direction across railroad tracks. Did Hoffman invent his story? Nobody has confirmed Hoffman's version, yet this does not mean it was made up. 

Jack Lawrence left his car somewhere in Dealey Plaza on the 22nd.  I'm not saying he was necessarily involved as I have only read a few articles on him and never focused on his activities that much.  That is a fairly well known story.  How many others could have likewise followed this procedure.  No trunks were searched as far as I know.

16 hours ago, Andrej Stancak said:

Chris's scenario of a shooter stashing the rifle into the trunk of a car standing feet away from the shooter appears a plausible solution of GK shooter's escape problem. Josiah Thompson in his last book "Last second in Dallas" suggested the same scenario, proposing that the car stayed until evening of that fateful Friday.

However, how can this scenario be reconciled with the testimony of deaf-mute witness Ed Hoffman? Hoffman saw a well dressed man, possibly the shooter, to hand over the rifle to a man dressed like a railroad man, and that man knocked down and hid the rifle, and walked away in direction across railroad tracks. Did Hoffman invent his story? Nobody has confirmed Hoffman's version, yet this does not mean it was made up. 

I don't what to make of Hoffman's story. Two shooters on the east and west end fence? Maybe he filled in the gaps of his observation and can't distinguish fact from fantasy?  How does the shooter or spotter cross the tracks just feet from the overpass crowd and not be seen?
 Maybe Tom Tilson was right and the shooter was on the northwest corner of the overpass and Hoffman just mistook their position. I think there is some truth in Hoffman's account but I don't know which part.

On 3/27/2022 at 5:26 AM, Adam Johnson said:

Hi Chris,

Somebody posted the drain layouts and details along with some photos inside the north knoll drain, plus some other pics of the drains as it led back to the trinity river on Robert Harris's jfk assassination website years ago,  I'm sure i saved the photos on an old laptop but where that is now I'm not sure....

You could get right up under the plaza all the way to the court house building and beyond thru the underground drain system apparently. That was featured on some 80's tv special. I remember watching and being amazed. Footage must be out there somewhere. 

From memory the Elm Street drain where the manhole cover was on the sidewalk had a much smaller size opening (approximately 10 to 12 inches in diameter) for its water run off pipe. The opening up on the grassy knoll drain was 2 feet or more in diameter. 

Was it likely to have been used as an escape route??? Probably not, but was it possible....in my opinion yes!

Try and find the Cabluck photo i mentioned.....there are two versions.....but only 1 was available up until 2005 or 2006, now that version has disappeared and a new one exists. Robin Unger may be able to help.

Regards Adam 

Thanks. If the Elm St pipe was only 12 inches the shooter in the drain theory is factually disproven.

My answer is not very informative, but going back to the question raised in this topic, I would say the easy answer is yes.  I'm more than 99.9% sure there was a shooter on the north knoll who fired the fatal shot.  I say this based on witness statements, the Zapruder film (even altered) and the wound.  I believe a shot from along the fence line struck JFK in the right temple, traveled along the right inside of the skull and exited out the right rear causing the huge blow out and the "back and to the left" movement.  Therefore, there was a knoll shooter and if there was a knoll shooter, he was not captured, therefore he had time to escape.  The method of escape can be, and has been debated for years.  The fact that he/they escaped cannot be debated though.