The Education Forum

Gaslit

17 minutes ago, Michael Crane said:

So,how do you get the Youtube videos to come up like that?

When I do it,all I get is a link.

Write the post and post it, then use Edit to paste in the video link.  Pick the option that lets you see the video.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Michael Crane said:

So,how do you get the Youtube videos to come up like that?

When I do it,all I get is a link.

Pull up the you tube video. Click on it while playing or paused.  Select copy video URL.  Come back to this website or another. Right Click on the blinking vertical line for your next character post.  Select paste.

In this case you get "Tin soldiers and Nixon calling, Four Dead In Ohio".  A relevant historical video to Nixon's downfall.  Kind of like Martha Mitchell was, in a maybe convoluted way.     

Edited by Ron Bulman

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

In this case you get "Tin soldiers and Nixon calling, Four Dead In Ohio". 

Tin soldiers and Nixon's comin'
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drummin'
Four dead in Ohio

13 minutes ago, Pete Mellor said:

Tin soldiers and Nixon's comin'
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drummin'
Four dead in Ohio

Not as bad as a guy I went to HS with, who thought it was "War, daddy, Ohio," for which he was known as Wardaddy until graduation.

On 5/4/2022 at 2:55 PM, David Andrews said:

Not as bad as a guy I went to HS with, who thought it was "War, daddy, Ohio," for which he was known as Wardaddy until graduation.

Termed Mondegreens:- a misunderstood or misinterpreted word or phrase resulting from a mishearing of the lyrics of a song.

I can think of many that I misheard too!

Misheard song lyrics...I'm guilty. In the days of static-filled AM radio, I really thought that in ANNIE'S SONG, John Denver was saying: "Let me drown in your bathtub, let me die in your arms..."  I couldn't understand how there was anything romantic about drowning in anyone's bathtub.

Here's another one I used to (intentionally) screw up.

If heart aches and fame, brought worldwide acclaim,

I'd be a legend in my mind.

I'm enjoying the series but have a few reservations....was Liddy really that much of a psycho in the early 70's as portrayed in Gaslit? How did he ever get that close to power. E.H.Hunt always seems to be portrayed in movies or tv series as a bit of a weirdo, he and Dulles must have been very close. Pat Gray being portrayed as a complete baffoon. Sex parties at the conventions as legendary regular events in 1972 meaning they had been happening for many years prior 68, 64, 60???

I'm taking this series as a purely entertainment based portrait of the people involved in the 72'73' years of DC politics in Washington. 

Why dont they build apartment's with sunken lounge rooms and multi-level living rooms any more...i love the Mitchell's place.

AJ.

Yes, dramatic license for sure ... but to what degree?

If L. Patrick Grey actually did what he is shown doing in this series he should have been imprisoned for years.

Seems more like the John Dean ( and Maureen Dean ) story than the Martha Mitchell one.

The rich man who was funding laundered money toward the dirty tricks campaign and who threw the totally decadent sex party ... who was this person in real life?

A devilish corrupt person but the kind of the deep pockets secret funds providing character Republicans loved back then?

In real life we have seen so many other super rich donors throwing big monies at the pols who did their bidding. I remember gambling empire wealthy Sheldon Addleson once giving Newt Gingrich 10 million a few years back...just so Gingrich would stay in the primary debates!

And now that the SCOTUS just okayed Ted "Cancun" Cruz's campaign monies scam where the pols can use left over donations for "debt payoffs? " the floodgates for this money laundering remains open.

Still amazed at the John Mitchell character as portrayed by Sean Penn.

Best film make up transformation achievement I can ever recall. I have to keep reminding myself that it's Sean Penn underneath that puffy/ugly John Mitchell face.

If they give awards for TV film series make up, this one is a no-brainer.

Also, someone pumped a lot of money into G. Gorden Liddy's re-invention into a highly paid radio talk show host. I am guessing he made 1/2 a mill a year or more for that gig.

Someone who owns radio production corporations made that happen for sure.

Same with Bill Bennett for awhile.  Super wealthy right wing types. Setting up their right wing mouthpieces with cushy high income gigs like those.

Edited by Joe Bauer

• 3 weeks later...

I finally started watching the Gaslit series during the past week and, as of last night, I've caught up through the first six episodes.

Thanks to Ron Bulman for recommending this.  It's highly entertaining and well produced.

I had to go back and review what I remembered about Jim Hougan's book, Secret Agenda, to put the Gaslit screenplay in proper historical perspective.

E. Howard Hunt, unfortunately, remains a shadowy, peripheral character throughout the first six episodes.  Baldwin isn't even named.

(Martha Mitchell refers to Dorothy Hunt's plane crash in a mere two lines.)

They depict James McCord as slow-witted, clumsy, and inept-- without attempting to clarify his role in deliberately bungling the Watergate burglaries.

They also run with the standard Mark Felt = Deep Throat narrative.

This Gaslit drama is centered primarily on the Mitchells and the Deans, based on a podcast called Slow Burn.

The RNC sex party host who grabbed John Dean by the cajones in the hot tub was Kenneth Harry Dahlberg, (1917-2011) a WWII fighter ace and Nixon booster who made his fortune with Telex, a hearing aid manufacturer, and venture capitalist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_H._Dahlberg

Edited by W. Niederhut