The Education Forum

Free registration is open for two-day conference on Watergate

Douglas Caddy

Thanks for posting, Doug. Here is the full line-up for our free 2-day online conference to mark the 50th anniversary of the Watergate break-in on June 9-10:

DAY 1

10am (Eastern): The Watergate Break-in 

Chair: Shane O’Sullivan

The Break-in - Adam Henig (Frank Wills: Forgotten Hero)

Gordon Liddy is Key to Understanding What Happened in Watergate - Douglas Caddy (the original attorney for the burglars)

Followed by a discussion with the speakers and Daniel Schultz (trial and appeal attorney for the Miami burglars)

12pm: Watergate in Presidential History

A presentation by Timothy Naftali (CNN Presidential Historian and former director, Nixon Library) 

2pm: Investigating the Watergate Break-in 

Opening remarks by lead Watergate prosecutor Earl Silbert, followed by a panel discussion with Silbert and fellow Watergate prosecutor Don Campbell, FBI case agent Angelo Lano and FBI agent Daniel Mahan, moderated by Melissa Graves. 

3.45pm: The Hidden Motives of James McCord 

Nixon’s Pentagon Cover-up - Ray Locker (Haig’s Coup)

McCord’s final PowerPoint to his family about his role in Watergate -Shane O’Sullivan (The Watergate Burglars)

Followed by a discussion with the speakers and Scott Camil (Vietnam Veterans against the War, the group secretly targeted by McCord). 

DAY 2

10am: Bookkeeper/Whistleblower

A panel discussion with Watergate whistleblower Judy Hoback Miller and the retired FBI agents who interviewed her (John Mindermann and Paul Magallanes), moderated by Melissa Graves. 

11.45am: Every Tree in the Forest Will Fall: The CIA and Watergate

Chair: Shane O’Sullivan (The Watergate Burglars

Better days: Nixon's pre-presidential relations with the CIA - Christopher Moran (Company Confessions: Secrets, Memoirs, and the CIA)

CIA and Watergate - Jefferson Morley (Scorpions' Dance: The President, the Spymaster, and Watergate)

Did Bill Colby Miss Watergate? - John Prados (National Security Archive) 

1.45pm: Watergate Myths and Counter-Narratives

Chair: Garrett Graff (Watergate: A New History)

The Press: Then and Now - Barry Sussman (The Great Cover-Up: Nixon and the Scandal of Watergate)

Secret Agenda, Hougan, and Watergate: The Final Verdict - James Rosen (The Strong Man

3.30pm: The Legacy of Watergate

From top to bottom, this whole business is a Haldeman operation - David Kaiser (The Road to Dallas)

Gerald Ford, Watergate, and the De-Nixonization of the Presidency during 1976’s American Revolutionary Bicentennial - Tom Cryer (University College London)

More details here: www.watergateat50.com

Edited by Shane O'Sullivan

This all sounds very interesting as I graduated High School in 1974 but was clueless at the time.  Even though my civics teacher told us to pay attention, that this was history in the making.  I can't sit down and listen to it all from start to finish but plan to make time to catch some of the speakers.  Thanks Shane, for apparently leading the effort to put this all together.

I didn't know Jeff Morley had a new book on the subject coming out.  It sounds like a very interesting read.

Amazon.com: Scorpions' Dance: The President, the Spymaster, and Watergate: 9781250275837: Morley, Jefferson: Books

15 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

This all sounds very interesting as I graduated High School in 1974 but was clueless at the time.  Even though my civics teacher told us to pay attention, that this was history in the making.  I can't sit down and listen to it all from start to finish but plan to make time to catch some of the speakers.  Thanks Shane, for apparently leading the effort to put this all together.

I didn't know Jeff Morley had a new book on the subject coming out.  It sounds like a very interesting read.

Amazon.com: Scorpions' Dance: The President, the Spymaster, and Watergate: 9781250275837: Morley, Jefferson: Books

Ron Jeff says to order here:

Author of the Scorpions' Dance: The President, the Spymaster, and Watergate 
(St. Martins Press, June 2022)
You can stiff Amazon by 
pre-ordering Scorpions' Dance here. -Scorpions' Dance: The President, the Spymaster, and Watergate by Jefferson Morley, Hardcover | Barnes & Noble® (barnesandnoble.com)
Morley's Trilogy of Spies
Our Man in Mexico | The Ghost | Scorpions' Dance

1 hour ago, David Boylan said:

Ron Jeff says to order here:

Author of the Scorpions' Dance: The President, the Spymaster, and Watergate 
(St. Martins Press, June 2022)
You can stiff Amazon by 
pre-ordering Scorpions' Dance here. -Scorpions' Dance: The President, the Spymaster, and Watergate by Jefferson Morley, Hardcover | Barnes & Noble® (barnesandnoble.com)
Morley's Trilogy of Spies
Our Man in Mexico | The Ghost | Scorpions' Dance

I've got the first two.  Does this qualify me for an autographed copy?  Just kidding.  I posted on his site for several years under a semi pseudonym of Ronnie Wayne.  Corresponded a very few times with the site's messenger, I doubt he would remember given the correspondence he gets. 

But, free shipping!  Since I don't have amazon prime, as it's a penny short of free shipping there . . .  Meant to discourage potential purchasers on the fence purposely?

If it help's Jeff in some way I'm all in on completing the trifecta this way.  I look forward to his take on Helms vs Nixon.

Edited by Ron Bulman

Thanks, Ron. Yes, I'm looking forward to Jeff's talk and book, which I'm sure will dip into JFK matters too. This may be the last time we gather all these Watergate prosecutors and investigators together, so hope you can register and watch some of the sessions.